The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sorry to hear your news BoD, hope things turn out OK. Not a bad night last night, about five hours sleep until the foot combined with Arthur Itis to wake me up. Even then I was able to roll over and get another hours eyelid inspection. The foxes around here don't do it in gardens, they do it in the middle of the street, shameless!

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Seems that even The Orange One won't give the poor little fluffy friend a break either:

https://www.chesterbugle.co.uk/2020/06/01/trump-declares-the-tufty-club-a-terrorist-organisation/

Those who the gods seek to destroy they first send mad. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I see they have allocated 7 mass vaccination centres..

The East of England one...... Stevenage... It shows a somewhat distorted idea of geography from HMG..

For those of us IN the east of England..  Stevenage is north London...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, polybear said:

:o

:nono:

Next you'll be telling us you support the Orange One....:laugh:

Have a box of tissues ready for this afternoon :dancer:

Is Mrs NHN considered indispensable/difficult to find a replacement for by any chance?  Sounds like they may be blocking her from changing jobs. 

Perhaps a visit to the relevant offenders from the Big Bad Bears (99th Armoured Infantry Brigade) and the Heavy Hippos (9th Special Armoured Force) may persuade them to rethink their recruitment policy?  We are at your disposal, Sir - normal payment terms apply (oodles and oodles of cake....and yet more on top).  Don't worry about the lockdown....we have our methods.....

A relative of mine used to quote the following in relation to computers and this was when you had to go to the 'computer room' to use one- you put crap in, you get crap out. Since then its become SOP. Oh and it isn't just the IoM government that want's everything done on-line its all of HMG plus LA's as well.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Wants for whats
  • Like 12
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Went to assist with domestic tasks, switched on the Dyson and it wouldn't stay on.  Ended up taking the switch assembly off and "fiddling" with it.  

We had that happen a couple of days ago - the motor ‘pulsed’ then shut off any time it was switched on. The ‘book of words’ said to wash the filters. We did that several times to no effect, eventually soaking one overnight. The motor still pulsed and shut off with the suction on ‘normal’. When I switched it to ‘max’, there was a sound like a crack from the machine and it began to run normally. There was a large hairball in the cylinder - presumably it had been blocking a duct. No disassembly of the switch was required (fortunately).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not much got done today except eyelid inspection and sorting out the stuff in the spare room. I have decided to reduce some of my model collections (not those that run on two parallel strips of metal) so was checking that the relevant models were all together. I will then start on my books, what Mike has shown would be less than 20% of the books that I have. I have been giving some thought recently as to what will happen to my books and models when I shuffle off this mortal toil. Some things have personal meanings to me and I want to make sure they go to someone who will appreciate them.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

I see they have allocated 7 mass vaccination centres..

The East of England one...... Stevenage... It shows a somewhat distorted idea of geography from HMG..

For those of us IN the east of England..  Stevenage is north London...

I'm sorry but to me the term 'mass  vaccination centre' sounds more descriptive of something which will qualify as a mass spread of infection centre and could well help in developing vaccine resistant mutations of the virus.  The amount of social distancing required at various stages in the process is mind boggling - thus

1.  The initial queue will have to be socially distanced (2 metre spacing)

2. The post vaccination area of waiting for your 15 minute observation period will have to be socially distanced (2 metre spacing)

3. Those people sitting in the 15 minute observation area will also need tob e socially distanced at 2 metre spacing.

When the GD had her shot the biggest problem was waiting to be given a seat in Stage 3, I think she spent nearly as long waiting to be observed for any adverse reaction than she did actually being seated and observed for an adverse reaction.

Now throw in the idiots who will arrive without masks, the bigger idiots who will fail to either make an appointment or heed the appointment they have been given and just turn up and then the clowns who will ignore the priority order of folk for vaccination and try to jump the queue.  And I suspect in some places  - assuming those who need to be there can actually get there - there will be rows over parking spaces, stand up fights over queue jumpers and near riots from those not wanting to wait until they are called to attend.  

Whoever thought up this insane idea really needs to be sent home from chair polishing activity in some ivory tower ministry and told to spend more (unpaid) time with his family.  Why not use what exists - GPs who have patient lists with dates of birth, pharmacies who know their regular clients, and then establish local teams using  the Voting Register to collate names (which will also immediately identify all folk over 70)?  It all sounds like doing something for the sake of being seen to do something rather than doing something practical which will work smoothly - idiot land once again, and some of the 'centres' are in some of the worst areas of infection..

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

A relative of mine used to quote the following in relation to computers and this was when you had to go to the 'computer room' to use one- you put crap in, you get crap out.

AKA the “GIGO” principle - “Garbage in, garbage out”.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11

Good day... discuss! :)

Yesterday we took Whitney for a walk. She loves going on walks and the Mrs knee inflammation has curtailed that somewhat.

Since this involved walking it 6-8 inch snow, I did suggest after about 1/2 mile that it was probably enough for the Mrs first time out in a while...

I was overruled, Mrs knows best :O 

Guess what, after we returned so did the swelling and discomfort and she needed to ice it and still today suffering the effects - I WILL NOT be saying "I told you so..." :jester:

On squirrels - Whitney is the best deterrent we've seen in forever.

She's lightning fast, and has caught several in the past few months. She grabs them, shakes them VERY HARD and they are then dead on the ground, at which point she decides they don't want to play anymore and moves on! Soon as they hear the door open now, any that have decided to venture into the back garden are gone in a flash.

Having observed this activity first hand, many neighbors want to know if she is available for hire :)

I'll be walking Whitney alone today, and we will probably take a short drive as the Mrs wants to "get out" and we've some medications to pick up.

Nothing else happening.

-8 retrieving the newspaper, overcast and -4 the high.

Carry on.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Sadly that might be harder than you think, I literally couldn't give (railway) books away recently :(

Before our move from Swad, I gave some to a couple of mates, and took the rest to the Charity Shops, even our old Club couldn't give them away at open weekends.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8