The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good Evening, well, at least it was POTS day! Let's get though the weekend for next week until further notice from BoJo looks to be a whole new can of worms kettle of fish!

In tonight's headlines:

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

What I have emphasised in this post is the key to any child getting a good education: parental attitude. Even in the direst of circumstances (such as in very poor countries where access to education is less than optimal) a child having parents that encourage, support and value the power of education will tend to do well in their chosen field (and let's be clear here, "do well" doesn't automatically mean "getting to the top", it can be something as simple as doing a job one enjoys doing for an adequate compensation).

Sadly, there are too many parents who couldn't care less about their children's education; too many of those who believe - because of gender - that my son/daughter can't/won't do "that" because "that" is for boys/girls; and too many parents whose idea of a suitable future is class bound (as in "no Tarquin, you can't go to Uni and study engineering, we aren't trade dear" or "what do you mean "go to university"? Too posh to go to [insert manual labouring job here] like me or yer grandad? [cliches, I know - but unfortunately with more than a kernel of truth]).

I was fortunate inasmuch as parents and grandparents (and assorted relatives) all valued education...

Unfortunately often the case and, most definitely, unW.I.S.E (acronym - Women In Science [and] Engineering)

Give the children their head and see how they perform; don't suppress talent!

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

My Great niece bitterly complained about Maths when she started secondary School a couple of years ago, saying no one ever used it, so I sent her a formula from a calibration book. Not this,  but a bit more complicated ..

image.png.d35d5551c42de26b26d5b0c5a1d28464.png

image.png.c2826b9361ce109e352fffba0aad93f4.pngimage.png.8384b715579e3a3eb1cb178a33333c8e.png

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

As for 'foreign' railway and model railway magazines we had an very forward looking arrangement in the dept I worked in during my final big railway job.  We had a system where we could draw foreign currency to cover our expenses before we left.  While it could be a bit of a bind at times going round Europe carrying several hundred £s worth of two or three different currencies we had the advantage of being encouraged to buy newspapers and 'technical publications' to keep up with events  - especially on the mainland railways.  Fortunately many magazines 'over there' combine both prototype and model so, without going mad, money could legitimately be spent in such an area and would be duly signed off by our Director.  Useful language training as well of course.

Have the T Shirt for that too!

15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@grandadbob..trying some  sullivans creek shiraz from sainsbugs.. not a bad drop!

Baz

Nice drop of McGuigan Estate Merlot from Saint Burry slipping down here!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Sadly, there are too many parents who couldn't care less about their children's education; too many of those who believe - because of gender - that my son/daughter can't/won't do "that" because "that" is for boys/girls; and too many parents whose idea of a suitable future is class bound (as in "no Tarquin, you can't go to Uni and study engineering, we aren't trade dear" or "what do you mean "go to university"? Too posh to go to [insert manual labouring job here] like me or yer grandad? [cliches, I know - but unfortunately with more than a kernel of truth]).

Surely not in this day and age; thought that went out with Clement Attlee and his post war  Labourites.

Brian.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Not done a lot today, where has the time gone? Some of it was spent in reading the book that the postie delivered this lunchtime. https://www.basicbooks.com/titles/brian-fagan/the-little-ice-age/9781541618572/ 

Quite interesting and one graph (average temperature) illustrates the effects of industrialisation by suddenly disappearing off of the top of the page. Teas brewed and now to tackle Farcebook.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Surely not in this day and age; thought that went out with Clement Attlee and his post war  Labourites.

Brian.

We still don't hide our class system as well as they do on your side of the pond.:jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Not sure what I will do with wine drinking, I only drink French, guess I will just have to give up and drink more Whisky, Scottish of course.

There are good wines and there may be French wines...

I recall entertaining a French colleague and selecting an Australian Red; he noted the better quality!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

We still don't hide our class system as well as they do on your side of the pond.:jester:

John

Your place in society is mainly governed by your net worth over here!:O

Brian

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4