The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

@BoD in 1963 I was 5 and walked to school... through the snow piles!  I never felt cold but I remember how deep the snow was and how quickly it stopped being pristine white!

In the North West Leeds Highlands it is very rare for snow to stay long. When the buses stop running.. then it is time to get the provisions/snow  shoes/skis ready. Only happened twice in 34 years of living here.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Barry O said:

1963 I was 5 and walked to school..

I was 11 and our class teacher sent the boys out to clear the footpath to the school entrance with dustpans and brushes. She also moved the  class around so the girls were nearer the coal stove in the corner. With hindsight I suspect she had a slight case of misandry.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I do remember when I was a student in Leeds the snow lay on the ground for the best part of six weeks one winter; it was cold and dry after the snow - I guess the Pennines rain shadow operating - from memory about 34 years ago..... after a few days, it was just grey icy patches.

yep.. first year we had moved back to Leeds but it may have only been 33 years... next thing we did was.. put some new windows in the house which had less draughty gaps in the frames(!)

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis is keeping quiet at the moment and long may he do so. However the sore foot is trying to make up for it. One of the problems is that the part of the foot affected, on the side of the foot where it goes into the instep, I cannot see properly. I have purchased a mirror as an aid in applying the dressing and will be trying it out when I change the dressing shortly.

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think being next to the Thames Estuary may be partially responsible for our Mediterranean micro climate. Though cold wind from the Urals does make it quite chilly. 

The same when I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch but it was only a short distance before the effect was no longer felt.  I lived midway between the railway station and the river and the micro climate stretched as far as the railway station. Beyond that it was full on winter and those country roads could be treacherous. 

I remember one very frosty morning seeing about a dozen accidents on the journey to work. There were four between Burnham and Wickford but the other eight were all on the A127 four on each carriageway and all opposite each other. One I did witness in front of me where two cars collided because the drivers were rubbernecking the accident in the other carriageway. I carefully drove round them and on my way.

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Afternoon all,

My father grew up in a pit village. Many of the miners' children went on to grammar school rather than secondary moderns because of parental attitudes (some might say bullying). Their fathers wanted something better for their children than working down the pit and knew education was key to that. 

Stay dry and warm everyone... 

At my secondary school a third of the teachers were Welsh and the majority were from South Wales. I was told that it was because of the preponderance of grammar schools in the valley's.

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Still no snow 

But getting these as ads

Screenshot_20210108-151921.jpg

Shouldn't have stood in front of that cannon.

• Like 12

When i did my a level mock geography exam in the mid 90s in the same hall as tge Pontefract model rail exhibitions it was dry and a bit sunny when we left it was blizzard conditions with 4 inches of snow on the ground. It was the year that lots of folk got stuck in their cars in Leeds and Sheffield.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Early evening,

Day much as expected, work then trip to supermarket to stock up with Bavarian smoked cheese, breakfast cereals and beverages of the alcoholic variety. I was hoping to watch football tonight but the match isn’t on BBC, bu88er! SWMBO has asked me to go and help her with a jigsaw, bu88er that, I’m staying in bed and drinking some of the previously mentioned beverages. I may listen to the football on the radio but more likely I’ll fall asleep. 
In response to earlier posts, I’ve never used a slide rule, calculators were just coming in. Im generally good at maths but being mildly dyslexic mental arithmetic is ‘challenging’. I can only speak a small amount of German, not enough to read the magazine, but I learn quite a lot from the pictures and the train formation diagrams. It’s been snowing on and of all day but not settling.

Back to the beer, may be back later.

Robert

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Welcome, one and all, to POETS Day. The grey cold dampness has done nothing to improve Arthur I Tuss making for a most unpleasant morning at the House of Fun. 

Matters have been rectified by a goodly serve of ham and eggs for lunch and will be further improved by an hour a-snooze shortly.  

Dr. SWMBO is having a quietly reflective afternoon having learned of the sudden and unexpected demise of a good friend (of hers, not someone I knew) arising from Covid-affected sepsis.  

We shall raise glasses at Friday Drinks in his name and to wish his partner of very many years every strength through the days ahead. 

In other news we occasionally comment about the ads many of us are shown with this site.  I believe I selected “relevant interest” or something similar in the options.  Which does rather beg some questions here. Ladies undergarments AND cameras??? :o :o :o  

7A3AA835-A50E-4C98-8782-EAA0E58608BC.png.096747550bf611e1ac409af841a4491a.png

Sometimes the adverts are based on Google analytics who load zillions of cookies on your computer and tailor your ads to websites you visit or search strings you enter. 

I may have said too much.....

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

@BoD in 1963 I was 5 and walked to school... through the snow piles!  I never felt cold but I remember how deep the snow was and how quickly it stopped being pristine white!

In the North West Leeds Highlands it is very rare for snow to stay long. When the buses stop running.. then it is time to get the provisions/snow  shoes/skis ready. Only happened twice in 34 years of living here.

Baz

I'm a year younger, I recall Mum opening the front door to find the snow the full height of it in South Shields.  I got a couple of days off nursey school, but soon was back.  Dad was at sea, somewhere warm!

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1