The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

...snip...

Now, given my uneasy relationship with technology, it may appear odd that I am thinking of opening a Twitter account.  There is no need to remind me that I have berated it in the past.  The principal reason I did is about to become history – one Donald J Trump!  The medium strikes me as one which could enable me to keep abreast of what is happening without going away too much of my own doings.  You do recognise famous last words, surely?!  That aside, I would welcome any advice or tips that gentle readers can offer before I decide whether to take the plunge.

Best wishes to all

Chris

I confess to being prejudiced about it. A former Prime Minister once said, "Too many tweets make a tw*t". It was one of the few things he said I ever agreed with. (And that was pre-Donald). However, I set an account up for the autocar and have used it for publicity before my current troubles started. I didn't find getting started a problem. We did OK, I don't think it ever upset me or caused IT problems, though I was never sure about Twitter's USP compared to our own web-site or forums such as this one. I think it suits some people and organisations but less so for others. The autocar and Trust were already known and people did seek us out and were keen to follow us. I saw some interesting posts from others but didn't post that often, only when things were happening at short notice or to mark major events.

I think if anyone is going to use Twitter, they need to wholeheartedly embrace it and use it several times (or more) a day. I was a bit too cynical to do that very often. It was part of my autocar publicity activities, but Twitter was usually a duty whereas very similar activity/interactions on here or other forums was more of a pleasure. I would view it as entertainment than a source of news though. And I've heard/seen far more trolling/spats on Twitter than anywhere else, including forums, and some of it was really nasty. But other opinions are available and if you want to try it, I'd say give it a go, you can always stop. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I suspect it would've ended up in a great big firefight, and the security on duty just didn't have the manpower.  I wonder how many of the demonstrators were tooled-up, and what with?  Can you turn up at such a venue in DC with an SLR?

I was watching the coverage on CNN who had several cameras there.  They tended not to get close to the protesters as the media were getting some abuse, so I didn't notice any open carry.  I did notice one guy who had a full length axe handle protruding from his rucksack.. Obviously I couldn't see whether it actually had an axe head attached (very nasty weapon) or was just the handle (effective melee weapon)  but either way he was armed.  Turn up at a UK demo like that and you'd be on the floor in no time.

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

What's "the Leopard"?

Western SMT Leyland Leopard, fleet number ML2341. 

Andy restored it - his avatar used to be a picture of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

My Thornton slide rule at school had my name rather nicely engraved on it instead of scratched on like most other students. My Dad had a hand engraver for identifying all his own tools. His engraving was as neat as his handwriting. He knew how to use a slide rule but 2 or 3 significant figures wasn’t accurate enough for his work. He had a very large book of log tables. 8 figure logs I think.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, petethemole said:

I suspect it would've ended up in a great big firefight, and the security on duty just didn't have the manpower.  I wonder how many of the demonstrators were tooled-up, and what with?  Can you turn up at such a venue in DC with an SLR?

After watching this whole sorry episode, it is possible that authorities did the right thing.  In view of the location, "the bastion of democracy" as some would have it wouldn't have looked too good with  a firefight on their hands.  Five people were killed as it is.  This is the same rentamob that shows up regularly, but rarely with the backing of a president.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Police still outside one idiot has just lifted the tape and tried to walk under Pc on duty sat in car was not happy with them

Sounds like something a bit naughty has happened.  I wouldn't be surprised if you get a knock on the door from the Boys in Blue...time to hide the swag quick.....

In other news:

Does anyone find they sometimes have to refresh the page before they can reply to a post?

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 05/01/2021 at 23:26, Erichill16 said:

Can’t sleep and I’ve still got my Waterstones voucher to spend so looking for something to spend it on.

This looks like a topper, has anyone read it? It may be of interest to those who find sleep not easy to come by. 
3FFFB88A-D916-4DD2-8E08-F780D5D48F9C.jpeg.a85a56bd862d0c3a8244d973fd25edae.jpegIt 

I hope you're sitting down to read it.

• Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

48 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Some lovely stuff in there just a shame my German isnt good enough to read it properly 

Don't be put off by your lack of self confidence! I guess, however, much depends on how you define "properly"

When I subscribed to N Bahn, I never read every word and tried to make sense of it in the English context.

With a basic understanding of the language and the usually copious photographs with the articles, it shouldn't be too difficult to get the gist. If all else fails, there's always google translate from German to English!

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1