The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings al from Sidcup where it is now dark. It was distinctly parky earlier when I went out to acquire Younger Lurker's copy of this week's Autosport and Lemon Drizzle Cake. Careful Polybear, there are already bears here who will not take kindly to another muscling on their territory...i certainly don't get a look in!

• Like 16
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

41 minutes ago, TheQ said:

"Not many electrical engineers carry those around with them"; that was the exclamation when someone saw mine......

Mind you it was when I was restoring 'The Leopard' - not sure where they are now tbh ;)

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Her indoors' uncle was a well respected aeronautical engineer (and he designed the UK "Project Mustard" years before the Yanks reinvented it as.. the "Space Shuttle").

But he used a circular slide rule.. I tried to use it once but I couldn't get the hang of it... another aeroplane he was involved in was the Tornado.. bless him.. his main hobby was making free flight ultra lightweight aircraft.. 

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I don't want this Post to get Political, and to be honest, I don't understand the American Election System.

But how is that a Country the size of the USA, and with its enormous population can they only find two old age pensioners, one who is showing signs of insanity, and another who has shown signs of insanity to be in charge of a BIG RED BUTTON?:swoon:

• Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I don't want this Post to get Political, and to be honest, I don't understand the American Election System.

But how is that a Country the size of the USA, and with its enormous population can they only find two old age pensioners, one who is showing signs of insanity, and another who has shown signs of insanity to be in charge of a BIG RED BUTTON?:swoon:

I know i brought this up at the time of the elections and the fact i didnt expect Biden to get to the inauguration without being assassinated or at leadt a serious attempt. 

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Everyone asking, WHERE THE HELL WERE THE SECURITY???

Much reporting suggests that POTUS refused to send the National Guard. Ultimately the VPOTUS authorized the National Guard.

The Capitol Police did not have the staffing to be effective in the face of such overwhelming numbers.

DC is a jurisdictional maze. Capitol Police report to Congress. DC Metro Police report to the Mayor of DC. National Parks Police report to the Department of the Interior. The Secret Service reports to the Department of Homeland Security. Entities like the US Marshalls Service, FBI and ATF report to the Department of Justice. The do have cooperative memoranda of understanding to collaborate during emergencies.

Normally the National Guard (reservists) can be called out by a State Governor. There is no Governor in DC and according to their website,

The D.C. National Guard is the only National Guard unit, out of all of the 54 states and territories, which reports only to the President. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

The bit of wind is still coming from the North according to my weather vane  the chimney at the Haribo Factory.

Poly had exactly the same idea as you as to what to tell the post office. I have already told the story of the bloke who used to go in the postoffice with lung samples of deceased miners to send to Sheffield for testing.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Saw the terms SOHCAHTOA and BODMAS on Gwiver and later with The Lurker as well as references but could not reply or truly comment because they are totally new terms to me.  Please therefore will one of you erudite others please enlighten me and perhaps tell me why maths would have been easier once in possession of them.  The other item picked up was at 'O' level we had to average across arithmetic, algebra and geometry.  me, well near the bottom of the class with an average of 78% - just shows what a good teacher we had.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

SOHCAHTOA Sine opposite over hypotenuse, cosine adjacent over hypotenuse, tangent opposite over adjacent

BODMAS order of mathematical operations - Brackets, order, divide, multiply, add, subtract 

or

BIDMAS order of mathematical operations - Brackets, index, divide, multiply, add, subtract 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

SOHCAHTOA Sine opposite over hypotenuse, cosine adjacent over hypotenuse, tangent opposite over adjacent

BODMAS order of mathematical operations - Brackets, order, divide, multiply, add, subtract 

or

BIDMAS order of mathematical operations - Brackets, index, divide, multiply, add, subtract 

That's easy for you to say.:swoon:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 15

Good evening, and what an insight the last 24 hours (one of my WiFi hubs crashed in the early hours so just sorted!)

Zeus, SOHCAHTOA, Slide Rules, ah, what memories!

8 hours ago, TheQ said:

Arithmatic was a separate subject at O Grade in Scotland.. So no outside assistance to the exam. 

In Mathematics O grade , and Highers,  you could use log tables, and just as I left, Calculators..

The clearance team have finished the area outside the lab, I'm feeling exposed as the window from that side no longer has a long line of tall work benches blocking the view.

Just had a discussion on a sailing Forum over the meaning of "turning on a sixpence". I think he may have got a bit more confused when I explained the full L.S.D. to him..

Just waiting for a 10 G ohm resistor to settle before lunch.. what's on for lunch?   more rabbit food..

IIRC, when I sat my Maths GCE O level it was the first year that calculators were allowed. I also had a CBM Scientific (probably still have somewhere; I know where my [later acquired] CBM Pet is!) Back then, the best thing about calculators was writing 71077345 on the display! Those that remember will know; those that don't, unfortunately, googgle leaves not much to the imagination!

For that exam, I had a slide rule, my calculator and asked for the standard issue book of log tables.

4 hours ago, Barry O said:

I used log tables up to A level Maths. A couple of colleagues had slide rules.  A CBM scientific calculator was bought for university - my mental arithmetic was quicker.

At Cricket Scorer training a lot of the attendees are floored by the ability of her indoors and myself to work out strike rates, wickets per ball, runs to win etc without using a phone or calculator. I feel sorry for the younger  people in life.. when the "phone" makes a mistake they don't know how to check it..

I have only had a go at clay pigeon shooting once. The instructor reckons I am a natural as I can calculate the point to aim at to hit the moving clay.. It is actually easier firing a Challenger 2 tank.. point ..lase..fire!

Baz

Baz, I agree that given the practice we had had pre-calculators, the brain could be faster than the transistor. I heard the story that the reason the Millennium Bridge wobbled was that all the calculations were done using the CAD tool and that no one could properly interpret the results.

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think mine came from Squires Tools.

John

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Blimey I'm pretty sure mine has the price on the front of mine..........................3 shillings and sixpence.............................

My first Zeus book cost me 75p (15/-). I have since bought a less biohazardous copy from Squires for £2.99! Log tables, Sine, Cosine and Tangent tables all included.

50 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

SOHCAHTOA Sine opposite (over) hypotenuse, cosine adjacent (over) hypotenuse, tangent opposite (over)adjacent

or

Sorry, CB, that revolting pedant within me has forced my to parenthesise your definition as SOoHCAoHTOoA doesn't look quite right!

Now, while I was at Uni, Rogers and Mayhew's Steam Tables used to cause me grief until an independent tutor from Portsmouth Poly (my father was head of Mech Eng there!) introduced me to their Steam Chart - no looking back!

And after all that, I forgot to mention Napier's Bones!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 18