The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, southern42 said:

But we, back in the 'old days' did the sums in our head!

SOHCAHTOA.  BODMAS.  

Log. tables were provided (along with tables for all the other things such as Cosecants) but one was required to know how to calculate them longhand in order to pass the O-level.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 8

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

................... but one was required to know how to calculate them longhand in order to pass the O-level.  

Not in my day :D

Mind you I've still forgotten how to.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Breaking news, the orange one has been removed from both Twitter and Facebook.

Anybody's guess whether the cell he eventually ends up in will be the padded sort.:jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1

I had a slide rule when I began my apprenticeship as a draughtsman, I can't remember using it though I did use the rest of the stuff, no idea where it all went, the only thing I remember using often throughout my career was a Zeus book, I think I still have one of those somewhere.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Had a late requirement to go to the  post office to post a parcel. Not warm out there at all. But I have turned the heating on and the railway room is now cosy. The post office/coop was empty. It is closing for 5 months for a total rebuild.. the next nearest PO has some  strange staff working in it (if you day the parcel has model railway items in it they give you a filthy look). I may need to have a plan B!

Now for a mugadecaf!

Baz

• Like 18

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Log tables all though O and A levels.

Then for passing O levels, my pressie was a slide rule. I still have it, but it's at work so I can't get to it at the moment.

Calculators weren't invented then 

2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

The mention of slide rules struck a cord ...

Slide Rule.jpg

found it and took a look ... must be approaching  60 years since last used ... discovered that I currently have no idea how I/it was used!

The chart on the classroom wall (may have said this before) that gave currency right down to the 960 farthings in a pound has come to mind again 'cos tan wud av2 in sin-in out.

John - you mean the small electronic ones ...  we had to calculate test results etc. on a manual calculator that was as big as a typewriter and incidentally I also own one of those with cubic close packed typeset that does not seem to to have cottoned on but as a typescript I really liked it. 

In my latter days at work, I recall talking about slide rules to a relatively young colleague.  She had never heard of them, so I took mine into work the next day to demonstrate.  Although she realised that it did actually work, she had no concept of how it worked, ie by using logarithmic scales.  Made for quite an amusing day, after others also wanted to try this piece of old technology.

Still drizzling here, but a short walk has been walked and now it is time for a cuppa tea.

• Like 19

Afternoon all

Situation in Washington shocking but the problem is it is taking over news from China where instead of laughing into their noodles they are rounding up pro democracy campaigners in Hong Kong.

Anyway i would love to be able to build a tube layout better still DLR but i havent got the skills to scratch build

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

9 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Mostly the question at present is, how much more trouble can he cause in the time remaining?

He's probably thinking the same . . . .

Most of yesterday incredulously following the unfolding drama. Everyone asking, WHERE THE HELL WERE THE SECURITY???

Having a free day at a T***P golf course?

John

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I did learn how to use a slide rule at school, but that's long forgotten know, but I never owned one! I still have my Zeus chart (book), it lives on top of my drill box in the workshop, it's still used regularly. I've also still got my logarithm book, that's in the cellar somewhere. Both were bought in the first few weeks of my apprenticeship. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I did learn how to use a slide rule at school, but that's long forgotten know, but I never owned one! I still have my Zeus chart (book), it lives on top of my drill box in the workshop, it's still used regularly. I've also still got my logarithm book, that's in the cellar somewhere. 

I never had or used a slide rule, but I only did maths to O-level. ISTR that those of my classmates progressing to A-level had to get one.

Zeus books are still around. I got a new one a couple of years back - the old one had become a health hazard!

John

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1