The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Strangely 'Helen of Avoirdupois' doesn't have quite the same sort of ring to it.  Hardly likely to launch many ships I'd have thought..

Better than Helen of adipose..

• Funny 15

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

Yesterday one of the nose pads on my spectacles suffered a failure

Same thing happened to me on a trip back home.  Passing by an opticians, we dropped in and asked if they would fix it which they did right away at no charge.  I was most impressed!

Brian.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I see the Hornby generic coaches thread is still merrily frothing away, already on fourteen pages when only about three will do.

And curious that it has >10x the number of posts of a thread on new tooling for a steam locomotive.

That's a throw-away observation - I don't know that it means anything. I don't have the patience to read through either of those threads.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:
5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

. the White House rant-meister continues to assail our senses, ...

Some hours later much, much worse than that.

Sadly a good example of you get what you vote for, or don't!

Brian.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Well at least the foot has calmed down, it was getting a bit sore earlier but seems to be OK now. I've just discovered that Yahoo has shut down all groups. I only discovered that because I was looking for one of the groups I was in. So if you had a Yahoo group or was a member they have pulled the plug and what is more nothing has been archived.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Some hours later much, much worse than that. Since this is a politics-free zone, I won't say more other than it is a dark day. I expected a circus and theatre inside the building within the rules, but not an insurrection. With hindsight it was not a surprise, having seen like-minded people behave similarly at the Oregon State Capitol in recent weeks.

For fans of marine signal flags I did notice a protester carrying a hoist of alphabetic marine flags - tango, romeo, uniform, mike, papa - on a pole*. Cleverer than most.

* Not a 5½ yard pole. 

Looks like not even Norman Gunston could get that crowd under control...

(for those not aware of Australian political history, ie everyone - our democratically elected government of Gough Whitlam  was summarily given the arse  by the Queens representative Governor General John Kerr in 1975.

A largish crowd with novelty 70's sideburns and ties turned up at Parliament house to protest this afront to our democracy. Most surviving footage of it features comedian Gary Mcdonald as reporter Norman Gunston being front  and centre, proving Australians tend to take the p1ss at even the most serious events. )

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Sorry I’ve not had chance to read all the post but hope I find everyone at least ‘coping’.

Again not much of a day but a least a couple of domestic chores have been completed and this was followed by a walk with Sydney. Unfortunately he’s not coming for a sleepover at the moment  but I feel that may change soon. Bill’s works closed as Christmas for good  and he’s now working from home with sil (a teacher) and his two sons, two cats and Sydney. Somethings going to blow!

I need to get my finger out as the VAT return must be submitted by tomorrow. I was hoping to get it sorted this evening but after tea I couldn’t be bothered so tomorrow it is then. 
On a more positive note,  members of the pharmacy team have been booked in for their COVID-19 vaccine but that involves me working another half day this week. 
Think that’s about it for today so I’ll bid you all a goodnight,

Robert

ps. Bet Simon looks a Bobby dazzler in his new socks!

They do go rather nicely with the s stock slippers i got for xmas too

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

... comedian Gary Mcdonald as reporter Norman Gunston ...

The "little aussie bleeder" is a blast from the past. Have you seen 'The Gilles Report' performance of "Il Dismissale"? An operatic(?) take on the events of the 1975 constitutional crisis and the dissolution of parliament, first broadcast in 1983.

Fans of the late John Clarke ("the front fell off") can look for him - he has a couple of parts.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9