The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

39 minutes ago, Barry O said:

had a productive day. Crust earning completed. Found my membership numbers for two Model Railway related societies, managed to register on the respective websites and download some  info I needed. Result!

People seem to shy away from doing "administration" of their lives.

Mrs TH hates writing down things she needs to know, like passwords (yes, against advice, you should write them down!) or finding out when the car MOT is due.

However, once you start getting your house in order, calendars become a wonderful tool.

I've set mine up so I have yearly reminders about MOTs, insurances...  reminders about new mortgage rates before the old one ends, this and that - it's great.  Yes, a bit of work but now it works for me.

Spent an afternoon adding in everyones address and birthday too, which means I know how old they are and can send a card.

Just remember to add this to Outlook / Gmail so if you change phone, it's all in the cloud rather than on the device.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

47 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

The former colleague who the gofundme campaigh was for, Bill Annable (Simon's friend as well), did a bit of restorative justice like that one day. He worked in the front office at the time and a market trader brought a miscreant to the counter saying that he had caught the lad spraying graffiti on the market hall. Bill put his uniform jacket and helmet on and took the young lad back to the market. There he was given a scrubbing brush, soap and water and Beiil ensured that he cleaned all the graffiti off.  As a former ripper, (coal face worker) people tended to do what Bill told them.  As the duty Inspector I turned a blind eye to the events.

Jamie

Ah the good old days you couldn't get away with that these days Bill was certainly a big guy in his prime. 

I had a colleague at the council.sent to overpaint some graffiti did so but instead of blocking on the offensive words just painted over them 

• Like 7
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Bank statement arrived this morning and the refund I was looking for was there. I can't help wondering how many don't check their bank statements and end up losing a lot of money to these shysters. The fact that they refunded it without demur makes me suspect that its a bit dodgy and they don't want to draw attention to themselves. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 hours ago, polybear said:

I see the Orange One has been making an even bigger pr!ck of himself, amazingly.  Talk about desperation mode.

It would appear that many followers agree, women included - prickettes?

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Tea/dinner/supper, choice of term seemed to depend on geographical area, prepped (microwaved) and consumed and currently watching trash TV .....

Well it appears that the good 'ol Beeb feel that a new series due to start on Jan 7th at 8pm on BBC1 is sensible use of the Licence Fee and worthy of a prime time TV slot.

The programme?  Oh yes.  It's a contest all about people giving dogs haircuts.

FFS.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

For those curious to learn more about the cake, it’s actually fairly simple. It starts off with a standard boiled fruitcake recipe (a boiled fruitcake is when you take dried fruit, cover the fruit with water, bring to the boil for a minute or so and then drain. The necessary quantity of butter is then stirred into the drained boiled fruit and left to cool, before stirring in to the beaten egg and sugar. At the end the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt are sifted into the liquid ingredients). For the Cadburys Fruit and Nut Bar cake, I replaced half of the fruit (the sultana half, as I normally use a mixture of raisins and sultanas for my boiled fruitcake) with hazelnuts. Once baked and cooled the cake was then covered with liquid chocolate and left to set.

Upon reflection of my tasting, I concluded that I need to decrease the amount of hazelnuts by about 100g and increase the amount of raisins by 100g. I also found that as my cake tin did not have exactly vertical sides, using very liquid chocolate to coat the cake meant that the sides weren’t adequately covered. In future I shall either use a straight sided cake tin or wait until the chocolate has cooled down to the consistency of very soft butter and then spread it on the cake with a palette knife.

Sounds mighty fine to this Bear...apart from the hazelnuts :nono: which belong firmly with the use of such ingredients as "coffee" and "cream" - i.e. not on your Nellie.

Level 5?  Can't see it having any effect on this Bear - hopefully;  the threat to the well-being of the NHS is a worry, however.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ps @Erichill16 have a look for the Hunslet works thread on building a real location.. fascinating engineering.. perhaps he can also build a bit of Qualts in Barnsley.

Evening All,

Thanks for that Baz. I’m not sure if I didn’t seen it on a demo table at Pontefract last year. It is very good and the chap was happy to engage in conversation. 

At one time I did collect information for a possible layout based on the station and sidings at Summer Lane but it didn’t include Qualter Halls. It’s some time since a looked but I don’t think Qualts had a connection to the main line, strange I thought. I think Qualter Halls became part of Hunslet Holdings in the early 2000 and Qualts  built the bodies for the Eurotunnel shuttle locos.

My friend, the one who gets the odd MOD contract used to work for Longleys and when they closed down, being an employee there, bought some of their machinery and set up on his own. 

As a model, I do like Reston’s Charlie Strongs Metals, and that is the type of layout I’d like, in fact I ‘suffered’ a trip to Sainsbury’s in a futile attempt to get BRM.

swmbo needed to go to Sheffield and asked if I wanted to go to a certain emporium on Chesterfield Road, well would be rude to refuse wouldn’t it? 

Having to go to work tomorrow, part-time pharmacist rung in to say hes having to self isolate, Pah.

Had a zoom meeting with MRC committee which kept freezing so missed quite a bit of that. Pah.

Anyway, Goodnight,

Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I see we are being waffled at later tonight.. now let me guess what it will mean.. nah.. too easy.

:cry:

2 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I will.most likely get another letter from Boris and Matt pink tie  to add to the collection at least. My youngest is saving them for posterity or his posterior if we run out of bog roll

Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent?

Sorry chaps, only just got here but bedtime beckons. Early telephone session required. Maybe catch up tomorrow?

Night awl. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Evening Awl!

Just passing through to (try to) add a little humour to today's enforced confinement.

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

The former colleague who the gofundme campaigh was for, Bill Annable (Simon's friend as well), did a bit of restorative justice like that one day. He worked in the front office at the time and a market trader brought a miscreant to the counter saying that he had caught the lad spraying graffiti on the market hall. Bill put his uniform jacket and helmet on and took the young lad back to the market. There he was given a scrubbing brush, soap and water and Beiil ensured that he cleaned all the graffiti off.  As a former ripper, (coal face worker) people tended to do what Bill told them.  As the duty Inspector I turned a blind eye to the events.

Jamie

An element of justice all too often blown by the wayside:

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I understand from tonight’s PM statement that I can expect another letter. I hope it is also available online as some letters are taking a while to get here. We had a Christmas card posted in Reading on December 12th arrive today. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BokStein said:

Evening Awl!

Just passing through to (try to) add a little humour to today's enforced confinement.

An element of justice all too often blown by the wayside:

But how many listeners know what a Parliamentary Train was apart from erudite ER's of course.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1