The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

There are already regulations regarding when fireworks can be let off. A lot of the problems are that councils dont have enforcement teams to deal with it or the Policedont have the resources either.

Gwiwer what form does your book take is it fact fiction and whats the subject .

• Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

There are already regulations regarding when fireworks can be let off. A lot of the problems are that councils dont have enforcement teams to deal with it or the Policedont have the resources either.

There are indeed time limits but that for New Year's Eve is 1am.  What is perhaps needed is limitations on sound levels.  No-one seems to have enforcement and no-one wants to be a party pooper at New Year but the sudden and (these days) very loud bangs are what spooks pets, and some people, more than the light-show.

1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

Gwiwer what form does your book take is it fact fiction and whats the subject .

It is as yet formless but will record Penhayle Bay in a blend of social (albeit fictional) history and modelling techniques.  A different approach.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

About ten years ago I suffered a nearby party with fireworks which went on until the early hours. Called the council and got an answerphone that said they were only open 9am to 5pm! So called the police to be told off for wasting their time and told that I should have called the council. Told the police that I had called the council and what the message had said. 

Seems the only way to get any action is to go and throw a few bricks at the windows of the house holding the party but then you would be the one in trouble not the ones causing the noise. Can't win apart from going deaf!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

30 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Too many explosions around here for an uninterrupted night's sleep - I don't want to get all Cromwellian about it but think there's definitely a case to be made for restricting the times and days fireworks can be set off.

There are rules, but I'll wager that yer average Joe knows not of them:

The law says you must not set off or throw fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or other public places.

You must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am, except for:

Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight

New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am

Check with your council to find out about any local rules for setting off fireworks.

From https://www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law

Edited by leopardml2341
Effin predictive text - AGAIN!
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

If a drug is not used as per its ‘license’ the prescriber is responsible for the consequences, the product would be used ‘off license’. I believe that I read somewhere that the government was passing a law to say that no compensation claims would be entertained with respect to COVID-19 claims.

Robert.

So the Gov. use the vaccine not iaw the instructions of the manufacturer, and then protect themselves against court action in the event of medical claims.  Nice.

I suspect that if challenged a court may rule such a law unenforceable/illegal though - it sounds like an unfair contract to this Bear

17 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

There are indeed time limits but that for New Year's Eve is 1am.  What is perhaps needed is limitations on sound levels.  No-one seems to have enforcement and no-one wants to be a party pooper at New Year but the sudden and (these days) very loud bangs are what spooks pets, and some people, more than the light-show.

Easy fix, that one.  Make it illegal to manufacture or sell fireworks that are loud.  Pretty lights yes; big bangs/screams etc.?  No.

• Like 17

Yet another boring day.

I wonder how many passengers have travelled on the rail network today.

The motorways were practically deserted.

Been looking at model railway expenditure this afternoon and working out whether it's worth selling some locos to fund other things and even my PA2 (to part fund an ECoS).  But not sure yet.  However, I have found many a useful 3D print files for things so that will all be added to the queue of things to print for the first 4 months of this year!

however, marginally more excited to have hunted out my old fountain pen I bought 20+ years ago.

Fresh ink, works fine.

Will give it a go and see if I enjoy writing with it.

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. First of all best wishes to ChrisF's aunt. Went down to Tess Coes today as I needed some bread and found the place practically deserted. At least there was some bread left and of the sort I required. Now its muggatee time, be back later.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I've said it before, there's no cure for stupid! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 13

• RMweb Gold

Like Rick I had what looked just like a suspicious text from our electricity and gas supplier before Christmas. However it was genuine but it looked really odd. After checking with the company website there didn’t seem to be any information but after a quick search I found information on one of the financial advice websites. Eventually an email arrived a few days later confirming the text. They had taken direct debits out two weeks early causing some people to be overdrawn.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for reminding me Rick. My statement is due in the next day or two and there should be a refund payment on it. I spotted it on the last statement and the company concerned said they'd refund it. I had not authorised the payment but they were using the old 'You have to cancel the payment, its in the (very) small print' trick.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Jeez, there is stupid and STUPID.

However, this guy comes under the heading F. STUPID.

I would just like to point out, however that Bear's suggestion for inserting a Rocket "somewhere" actually requires the fat end of the rocket stickin' up the 'ole, with just the stick visible.  When that goes bang it'll be messy, and may well sting a little.....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

53 minutes ago, polybear said:

Jeez, there is stupid and STUPID.

However, this guy comes under the heading F. STUPID.

I would just like to point out, however that Bear's suggestion for inserting a Rocket "somewhere" actually requires the fat end of the rocket stickin' up the 'ole, with just the stick visible.  When that goes bang it'll be messy, and may well sting a little.....

I once saw an episode of Bizarre ER where some guy went on with 3 tins of food shoved up his rear end.

There was another doc on channel.5 about people falling in love with cars literally he even poked his manhood up the camera crews cars exhaust pipe 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I once saw an episode of Bizarre ER where some guy went on with 3 tins of food shoved up his rear end.

There was another doc on channel.5 about people falling in love with cars literally he even poked his manhood up the camera crews cars exhaust pipe 

I used to know an ambulance man and he had many such stories including one about a man who was peeling potatoes whilst in the bath. He managed to get one stuck in a certain bodily cavity.

Edited by Erichill16
  • Funny 14

Not a lot achieved today, but I'm happy with that.

A bit of wood butchering tomorrow should finally see my bi-folding doors fitted to mi summer shed then I can start on the inside.

Best wishes to all, stay safe, stay well and avoid the c@ckwombles of whichever variant.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4