The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

@newbryford Of course Mick, you do know 'why' there's only one Yorkshire? *

It's because you can't improve on perfection :D

See you all later, make the most of your day.

* Insert county name of choice; but only effective if you're the first to state it. ;)

Rather like ‘you can always tell a Yorkshireman but you can’t tell him much’

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

G'day all.

I wonder how many of us remember watching the original tv film of the spaghetti harvest, narrated by Richard Dimbleby, on - I think - 'Panorama', or possibly 'Tonight', back in the 1950s?  It was even better with the original deadly serious introduction to the filmed item.

Recognised the voice immediately and it was presented as imagined in the late 50s - early 60s and just as funny as the 1st April one a few years later.

Edited by PeterBB
1st April added
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

That post ^^^^^ could have be much shorter but remain equally valid:

"......those Brits violating the regulations and leaving Switzerland and those Brits fleeing to the second and third homes taking the virus with them, it is clear that they are totally bereft of any bog-standard, basic, knowledge...." ;)

May have the 'knowledge' but think that it doesn't apply to them ... after all they have money and e.g. Tr8*p think that is all that matters.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Simon G said:

It will be interesting to see just how many “essential” journeys are still being made.

If it’s anything like around here the number will actually rise. 

We hopped from Tier 2 to Tier 4 with just a few hours in Tier 3 between. 

As more folk learn of places “still open” when their local is closed so more road traffic has been evident. 

Treacle mines

Sompting treacle mine, near Worthing in West Sussex, has yet to receive a mention. I believe it came to a sticky end following an underground explosion. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I can remember articles in Railway Modeller featuring treacle mines. There is

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treacle_Mine_Roundabout

not too far from us. No history of treacle mining locally so I assume just an amusing name to make a change from Slug and Handbag or Spanner and Lettuce. 

The name actually goes back a long way, 1920's or 30's at least possibly as far back as the Victorian period.

• Informative/Useful 12

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

There is no cure for being a cockwomble, I am sure. There may be none for being a covidiot. 

I can at least have a little empathy with those simply bored, frustrated and wondering if this will ever end. And with those “denied” their “right” to do what ever. Including partying. 

Ineffective leadership, constantly-changing rules (many of which turn out to not be rules at all) and a sense of knee-jerk reaction rather than effective pro-action by governnent* has disaffected many.  Then there is the potential for a fair number of people to simply not grasp what is actually going on. And there is entitlenent. The term “BAME” has been hijacked in certain sectors of the community to mean Blacks Are Mask Exempt. 

* other opinions may be available. 

I agree with you too Rick it's hard on a lot of people, fake news hasn't helped. 

A lot of folk don't believe "scientists" they tell you one thing one week change mind next

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, simontaylor484 said:

I agree with you too Rick it's hard on a lot of people, fake news hasn't helped. 

A lot of folk don't believe "scientists" they tell you one thing one week change mind next

The scientists are the ones that have been consistent. Its the politicians who keep changing things. At least now they appear to be listening to the scientists and taking their advice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, pH said:

So what can you burn? If anything?

Electricity or gas.. heck they don't like any one having a bonfire!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spullchkcr
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just watching some programme on air ambulances they have had to go so a skydiver stuck.on the side of a house now they going to a 87 year old who crashed his microlight.

Yes Phil in covid most of the scientists have been consistent i was meaning these that you see in paper that say wine good for you one week next week it's the most toxic thing known to man. 

I think.I am trying to find excuses for covidiots

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

See scientists look at things in shades of grey.. Engineers think in true black and true white.. no shades.... so if they make a decision...well they do tend to stick to it...

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

...A lot of folk don't believe "scientists" they tell you one thing one week change mind next

That’s because scientists follow the data and with a new-in-humans virus like CoVID-19 virologists, epidemiologists and clinicians were - quite literally - starting with almost nothing. So as data came in, they learnt more and went on to make better and better recommendations for medical and social management of the virus. Case in point: we now know that warm weather is not protective from the spread of this virus like we’ve seen with other viruses” that decline in warm weather (it was initially thought that warm weather would knock out the CoVID virus almost completely).

Rather than taking aim at “scientists“ we should be saving our ire for incompetent and corrupt politicians, headline seeking journalists and criminally venal “influencers” peddling all kinds of nonsense conspiracies to the uninformed and (therefore sadly) gullible.

• Agree 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Grizz said:

I think we must have got someone else’s whether by mistake. The sun is very nearly coming out here in East Sussex, well very nearly anyway. I now have that sinking feeling that Mrs Grizz might want ‘something’ done outside in the garden, like tidying or leaf moving or cutting of something etc....bang goes today’s plan to disappear off modelling. Bloody sun.

DEBB8EC5-C3E4-4D98-AAAF-329D1BEA8B49.jpeg.2fb58dfc96a9a38a6b56341dfae2e965.jpeg

I think yours got mixed up with ours. Not exactly a Sydney summer but at least the place isn't on fire this year and I get more wear out of my jumpers.

weather.jpg.b79dfb3092f6eab7c324d1422bc346d3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

See scientists look at things in shades of grey.. Engineers think in true black and true white.. no shades.... so if they make a decision...well they do tend to stick to it...

Baz

In engineering the problem is not a ‘live’ problem (though technically a virus is not a living thing) and the issue to be solved doesn’t mutate. I do know that specifications change, my friend loves MOD contracts as they’re always changing their minds and that adds to the bill. There has to be flexibility in the system.  All decisions  are made with the evidence that is available at the time  and with evolving knowledge and mutations the scientists have to re-evaluate their advice.

Robert.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

This morning, arose to another 4+ inches of fresh white stuff, and the distinct markings of "snow removal service" having been while we slept 

As we live on a small cul de sac when the main road is cleared, we end up with a pile of snow at the end of the road which makes it difficult to go anywhere.  It usually means shovelling a path to drive out!:angry:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Evening All,

I got my fish and chips today, no gravy though. 
Swmbo watches a few of the cookery programmes on tv and I hear the phrase  ‘fusion foods’ and I wonder is fish and chips with curry source is the  original’fusion food’? To me it’s a waste of f and c, what do you lot think?
Ill leave you to ponder that and I’ll bid you all goodnight.

Robert 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I thought Lancashire Crude was a more polite way of referring to Bernard Manning.

Now is that a Sweet crude or a sour crude, speaking as someone who did missionary work in Yorkshire for 60 years.

Jamie

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

The so called  influencers should be lined up against a wall and machine gunned

Really?  I can understand perhaps having their access to social media limited but I really don’t think we are in “death squad” territory. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1