The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

They're situated on the fields above the Jam Butty mines and next to the Broken Biscuit repair factory....

12 hours ago, BokStein said:

...My geography's never been up to much, but weren't the Jam Butty Mines and the Broken Biscuit Repair Factory in Lancashire, somewhere around Knotty Ash?...

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

...As for a true Lancastrian delicacy, don't forget the Treacle Mines of Sabden...........

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

...I thought the Treacle Mines were in Natland, just south of Kendal or so my father assured me....

Yes, yes, yes. All very well and good for Northerners and labouring types, but the really, really, really pressing issue currently worrying Islington and other parts of North London is “will the pre-Christmas lorry jam affect the Spring Spaghetti Orchard harvest in Kent?

Now that Brexit’s here, supplies of Italian grown spaghetti will be unreliable, so unfortunately Islington and other parts of North London will have to rely on - supposedly “inferior” - home-grown spaghetti...

(and Pesto? Let’s not even go there. Suffice to say Tarquin & Melissa are even now incredibly distressed at loosing easy access to Italian organic, free-range Pesto)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

Your geography is off - Knotty Ash has been long consigned to Scouseshire.

As for a true Lancastrian delicacy, don't forget the Treacle Mines of Sabden...........

Easily found as they're just past the Eccles Cake quarries.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 14

12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear plans to spend the morning fitting the last off-cuts of EML to the kitchen wall :yahoo:Then I never want to see the ******* stuff again, or at least for a long , long time (the lounge will need some too :sad_mini:)

Leopard asks Bear; what is EML? :)

Edited by leopardml2341
To capitalise Bear
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Leopard - EML = expanded metal lathing which is used (among other things) to provide a key for plaster on walls and ceilings.

Ah, ok the galvanised mesh stuff, I probably know it as (the trade name) expamet.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

55 minutes ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Bear plans to spend the morning fitting the last off-cuts of EML to the kitchen wall :yahoo:Then I never want to see the ******* stuff again, or at least for a long , long time (the lounge will need some too :sad_mini:)

*(Bear is totally unqualified, BTW)

Bear I totally understand you view point on EML, I hate the F...ing stuff as well.

Back 1984 I assisted my dad with fitting this potentially lethal material to the outside of my parents house and I still have the scars to prove it. The one on my inner left arm took months to heal up properly. The product we used was stainless steel and it was like plunging your hands into a bag full of Stanley knife blades, blindfolded! No matter how careful we were or what gloves we used (although these days there are some pretty good anti cut ones) it always got you in the end. I seem to remember we had to use chemical anchor fix with stainless studding but then it was on the exterior of the house. How are you fixing it?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

In other news:

It all sounds a bit like chicken wire’s bigger, nastier brother.

• Like 4
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Weather as described by Tony but make the most of it as some of the white stuff is predicted to be heading this way. 

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Yes, yes, yes. All very well and good for Northerners and labouring types, but the really, really, really pressing issue currently worrying Islington and other parts of North London is “will the pre-Christmas lorry jam affect the Spring Spaghetti Orchard harvest in Kent?

Now that Brexit’s here, supplies of Italian grown spaghetti will be unreliable, so unfortunately Islington and other parts of North London will have to rely on - supposedly “inferior” - home-grown spaghetti...

(and Pesto? Let’s not even go there. Suffice to say Tarquin & Melissa are even now incredibly distressed at loosing easy access to Italian organic, free-range Pesto)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

Would these Islington dwellers actually still be there? Weren’t they the same types that selfishly leapt into their Range Rovers at Two Minutes to midnight on 19th December and ponced off to their second / third homes, relations etc in the Shires, Cornwall, Scotland, Weald of Sussex etc for the duration????

Edited by Grizz
Auto coroct
  • Agree 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1