The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just now, leopardml2341 said:

S'pose it's the same debate as whether 'zero' or 'one' is the starting point for counting - sorry for setting out down this path. Rather reminiscent of the 'new millennium' debate; once again apologies

Wagons are a good example BR started at Zero but PO ones started at one like locomotives!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, BokStein said:

I think not as it marks the end of the first year of the decade.

Remember, when you are born, (forgetting the 9 or so months inside Mum) you emerge at zero years old. 12 months later, your first birthday is celebrated (although you probably won't remember it!). You are 1 year old at the end of your first year.

By contrast, 1st January 2020 marked the passing of the previous decade.

We now find ourselves in the (until December 31st) first year of the third decade of the 21st Century.

That's one method, but not definitive.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

Evening All,

Back to Captain Cynical(tm) , I’ve been skiing once and quite enjoyed it but my body (and head) is not up it now. I do regularly go sledging when in Switzerland and have nearly come a cropper, but that’s a tale for another day.

The snow around town wasn’t as bad as out where I live but as we weren’t that busy I decided to do a few deliveries as if the weather close  in I don’t want Gary chasing around in the snow/ice tomorrow.

This evening I watched MY team win again, six wins out of eight,  against another local rival Rotherham. I think that makes us eight in the table and I bet we haven’t been that high for at least ten years.
I find penguins fascinating and admire their determination but boy do they smell.

May have had a bit too much C2H5OH this evening so feeling a bit drowsy so I’ll bid you all a goodnight.

Robert

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Q, we're told here that our Q surnames (Quirk, Quine, Quilliam, Qualtrough, Quayle etc) are shortened 'Mac' or 'Mc' names.

The penguins were well cute, we met some of the Kiwi versions when we last visited that stunning country. 

I don't think Donk is a Poitou, the colouring is wrong.  Plus he's only 10" tall and IIRC Poitous are large donkeys.

P1070836-2.jpg.6ae5108bcaaad4316dfa582b997cc1a7.jpg

Be careful about using Poitou Neil, I live in Poitou Charente though now it has been amalgamated with at least one other region to  become Nouvelle Aquitaine. Where's Elenor when you need her, perhaps we should ask Lindisfarne.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2020 at 14:27, Tony_S said:

We seem to have got to the age where we get food hampers as presents. So some of the items have “use by” dates. We did get a present from our nephew  that was from a vineyard near where he lives. I think we may save that until he and and his fiancée are able to visit. I hope that is going to be in 2021 rather than 2022. 

Is that reference to a tier level?

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

There certainly is, one in Gloucestershire!

Never been but can’t be as picturesque as my home town.

On a similar note - there is another York - in Lancashire! What a come down..............

(It's about a mile from where I live)

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BokStein said:

My geography's never been up to much, but weren't the Jam Butty Mines and the Broken Biscuit Repair Factory in Lancashire, somewhere around Knotty Ash?

Your geography is off - Knotty Ash has been long consigned to Scouseshire.

As for a true Lancastrian delicacy, don't forget the Treacle Mines of Sabden...........

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I would say, on the matter of when a decade/century starts, it depends on the sort of number you use to describe it.

If it's the 202x decade, it started in 2020.

If it's the 202nd decade, it starts in 2021. The 1st decade started in 1.

We managed a drive to the next city today for a walk in the park. Not much else, although I tried to glue some tabs in a Superquick house down the wrong way. I noticed when I saw that the tab would obstruct the windows.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The second film was called ‘Hidden Figures’ and about the role Black women played in the early 1960s NASA space program. Both were excellent films, well acted and very entertaining. 

We watched that a while ago. A friend recommended it and it was excellent.

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

Your geography is off - Knotty Ash has been long consigned to Scouseshire.

As for a true Lancastrian delicacy, don't forget the Treacle Mines of Sabden...........

I thought the Treacle Mines were in Natland, just south of Kendal or so my father assured me.

Jamie

• Like 17

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

He's now sat watching Penguins on TV.

Penguin(s) on the telly? Did any explode?

Re:

...and that concludes the week's episode of 'How to Recognize Different Parts of the Body', adapted for radio by Ann Haydon-Jones and her husband, Pip. And now we present the first episode of a new radio drama series, 'The Death of Mary, Queen of Scots.' Part One: The Beginning. (etc).

Sorry. Some things seem to be burned into my brain - like the exploding penguin on the television.

• Funny 14