The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! White sttuff falling from sky and piling up on the ground here this morning...and I have to go to the post Office.. PAH!

Good to catch up with some friends via Zoom last night..including two Leeds MRS CIO early risers in Oz. This will be repeated

After my trip to the Post Office I have one or two domestucs to do then..some "free" time. Now, what should I do???

Not sure her indoors would go for a gammon tikka masala. @chrisf  but it does sound good...

stay safe, positive thoughts to all ERs.

baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The sore foot woke me up in the early hours so I've come down for some Nurofen. GDB, make sure your bank is open when you get there. I went to my bank just after the lock down started only to find that due to the crisis they were shutting two hours earlier. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Phil, I'm not visiting the  bank. All done online now.  The only times I need to visit are to pay in cash (extremely rare) or to obtain cash if I want a lot more than the £50 cashback available at the supermarket. Also rare especially as there are no railway shows to attend.  I don't use cash machines as the two local to me have been fiddled with on multiple occasions and another one swallowed my card once for no reason whatsoever.

I too try to avoid cash machines, if I want more than £50 I use the post office. Our local sub-office has a cash machine outside, one of those that charges a fee and people still use it despite there being the free service available. Now for a bit more eyelid inspection before running a bath.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

....it was a bit tragic in places, mother nature can be a hard mistress. ...

Quite so! In fact, by human standards, nature is not only unforgivingly cruel but also endlessly, inventively, “evil”:  You have parasitic wasps (the inspiration for the Xenomorph in ALIEN) which inject their eggs into a living caterpillar which is then eaten from the inside out whilst the caterpillar is still alive;  There is a fungus which infects ants and eats away at the ant’s little brain until the ant is controlled by the fungus, the ant goes back into the ant colony now under the control of the fungus and promptly infects the rest of the colony (the inspiration for the plague in the video game The Last of Us I & II)  And then you have Australia’s Box Jellyfish: an animal that preys on small fish and has in its tentacles a venom that is one of the most toxic in the world. Definitely a case of overkill!

10 hours ago, andyram said:

...but please tell me what manual handling, bribery and corruption, British values and slavery have to with an online assessors role?

Absolutely nothing, Andy. They are, however, the ideology du jour which absolutely, totally and inescapably must be addressed in the curriculum. TBH, I am really getting fed up with constant imposition of 21st century “values” on the past (which invariably is excoriatingly negative towards long established European thought, philosophy and credos). 

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...There’s plenty of tea (Yorkshire, for those interested) ...

That’s a misnomer if there ever was one (or did I miss the famous Leeds’ Tea Plantations when I was there last?)

Good bit of marketing though (but why Yorkshire? Why not Lancashire tea or Essex tea?)

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

...I was inspired to do something with the left-over bacon joint.  I cut it into cubes and introduced the pieces to a jar of tikka masala sauce....

I would argue that Tikka Masala is too “soft” to manage gammon. I think that you would need a slightly acidic sauce to cut through the fattiness of the Gammon. The original Vindaloo (adopted in Southern India from the Portuguese) contains vinegar - which balances out the richness of the pork (incidentally, vindaloo doesn’t have to be mouth scorchingly hot. The original. authentic, recipe is relatively mild...).

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

No snow in East Sussex today, just more feckin rain. Part of Hamsey island has flooded and the flood plains are patchy with run off. 

Oh for three weeks of dry and very cold whether. Yep three weeks of -5 would suit me just fine. Instead it looks like the age of Ragnarok is upon us and Fenrir has eaten the sun......the git! 

AB925CC8-051C-4436-A981-6019ACC44E0E.png.4dbd2fa24250dc83108bf84c6c23b27a.png

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2