The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I had a PE class with no mats; that was just bl@@dy uncomfortable :mosking:

OK, I'm outta here.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I had my car resprayed on the cheap by a bloke called Mathew: terrible job, patchy and ghastly matt finish...

My next door neighbour is a nice bloke, but he is terribly dyslexic. He once got a letter from the Met office inviting him to a job interview, he turned up at the local carpet centre - he thought he had to go to the Mat office...

Quite frankly, I don’t really care what you think about my jokes: you can CARPET me for them, pull the RUG from under me, it doesn’t MATter, nothing you do will FLOOR me!

Hat-Coat-Door

Here we go again.

image.png.2af888c09170c46d1aa6991bfc92ddcc.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Morning all

It appears I am now a Great Uncle. I understand mother and baby are well.

In other news I was given an Italian cheese making kit for Christmas. With plenty of tuck in the fridge it's not a kit to start on immediately. But certainly one to look forward to. Before anyone gets carried away imagining I'll be creating an 'ampshire version of one of the more obscure of the 400 named varieties if Italian cheese the kit is for just 6 of the simpler ones....mozzarella, ricotta, mascarpone....

But before any if that there's a pile of gravestones to install. Miniature ones before anyone wonders what's under my patio.

BIG Congrats Andy.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Late again, but at least it's stopped raining, even the sun is out, but it's quite chilly only 3C. I've managed to get to the workshop and will shortly continue working on the turntable control panel wiring, I may be some time. 

Andy, nice to read we have another potential railway modeller, congratulations. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning,

> “Amateur” meetings, exhibitions and displays (such as in village halls, leisure centres and the like) will disappear as few will have the means (financial and manpower) to adhere to the current “anticovid” requirements, which I don’t see being lifted anytime soon (not to mention covering the post pandemic legal liabilities)

Finally,

How accurate will be my predictions? We’ll see, we’ll see!

iD

I can see there being far fewer exhibitions/toy fairs/swap meets after the pandemic for a multitude of reasons. Some have already gone and like the high street many more will go. One of my favourite events is (was?) the Ipswich Transport and Model Festival held in late June. I have attended this for more years than I care to remember. However I can't see it happening in 2021 even as it involves multiple venues and organisations so even in future years it will probably be very different.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Congrats Andy B.

Had other comments on the above but like normal it/they have slipped from mind while the subject of exhibitions has remained.  Our members at Gresley voted 100%* to not even think about our 'normal' Easter open weekend and the Great Central Railway are definitely not having their great Summer exhibition.  As some have said it 'costs a lot' to put one on with a great amount of pre-planning and that is just something that cannot at present be undertaken.  

In terms of numbers - yes, it is nice to go to the 'big ones but smaller local ones do help to maintain local interest, not only for the members, and with luck will gain more members with increasing number looking to model during Covid ... providing that the club is not 'out of pocket' as has happened to a few in recent years.

*via responses from email and letter

Edited by PeterBB
*added manner of voting
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
On 24/12/2020 at 13:23, jafcreasey said:

4°C

NW 14kt, gusting 31kt

Dry and cold with a rare view of clear skies beyond swiftly moving clouds.  Certainly feels nearer freezing in the breeze.  The office has been quiet this morning (despite beginning to type this before 09:00) and hope to be heading home soon to try and enjoy the festivities.

Christmas Eve seems to have arrived all of a sudden - traditions typically undertaken forgotten for this year at least.

Plans to see my parents over Christmas have been scuppered with the introduction of Tier 4 from Boxing Day and so Mrs C and I will head round briefly this evening for a quick exchange of presents.

The Christmas shop was undertaken Tuesday with vegetables severely lacking (as were toilet rolls, of course) but managed to get most things.  We timed it well as they were queued around the car-park by the time we were leaving.

As my mind begins to wander and the first Hobgoblin looms, stay safe and seasons greeting's to you all.

6°C

W 10kt, gusting 24kt

Firstly congratulations, @AndyB!

Storm Bella crashed through overnight with gusts of 61kts in the early hours.  Little sleep was had and am looking forward to getting out for some fresh air shortly, Mrs C breaking-in her new wellies as we do our usual circuit to Horsted Keynes station and back.  The sun is now shining though for how long we’ll have to see – the Met Office have just issued a yellow warning for snow and ice in the south east tomorrow.

Upon our return the fire will be lit and no doubt we’ll continue our over indulgence in some shape or form.

@The Stationmaster mentioned films a little earlier and was glad to see a post on Facebook with a link to Runaway Railway dating back to 1966 (and filmed on the Longmoor Military Railway).  Growing-up in the early 1990s I must have re-watched this umpteen times on VHS however over-time it faded from memory.  For those familiar, I have no doubt that the scenes (specifically) with Ronnie Barker and the model railway had a lasting effect!  I'm looking forward to sitting-down and watching this again shortly.

Re @iL Dottore's predictions, I likewise generally agree with all.  Certainly “cheap airline travel” will disappear for the foreseeable - in addition to the ticket price you have the cost of a PCR to consider too (Boots currently charge £120); travelling with a family will mean a considerable investment...

Stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I don't know whats happening but what I've just written has disappeared?:rtfm:

Same thing happened to me earlier, but in my case it was very definitely PICNIC.

Problem In Chair Not In Computer :mosking:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of exhibition venues. Over the next few years there's going to be a lot of unused retail space available on the High Street. A redundant department store would have the usual offices such as toilets, disabled access and maybe even catering facilities. The property owners are quite willing to let them out for a short period as shown by the number of pop-up shops that appear this time of year.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Premium

There's a redundant department store here, a large Debenhams that closed during lockdown 1.  The only speculation locally is whether it will be replaced by student flats or just flats.  Knowing the building it would make a great exhibition venue apart from having virtually no adjacent parking for traders and exhibitors.  However compared with a large school or leisure centre that's open anyway, it would cost a small fortune to set up and use, apart from the rent.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2