The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My very nice sister in law, Emma said when she meets other Emma’s of a similar age they are frequently Emma Louise or Emma Jane. She has Louise, as her older sister is Sarah Jane. 
There were certain quite ordinary names not on the list when we were selecting baby names. Not because of the name but because they had belonged to really horrible students.  
Wr called our dog Robbie as it was similar to the first part of his pedigree name. Matthew wanted to call him “Dave”. The veterinary nurse was very pleased as she said that Dave’s are always naughty.  
Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My very nice sister in law, Emma said when she meets other Emma’s of a similar age they are frequently Emma Louise or Emma Jane. She has Louise, as her older sister is Sarah Jane. 
There were certain quite ordinary names not on the list when we were selecting baby names. Not because of the name but because they had belonged to really horrible students. 

When my elder son started primary school, mid-2000s, if you stood in the playground at home time and shouted "Jane", a full one-third of the mothers would respond. Very handy when you couldn't remember someone's name - one-in-three chance of being right - almost as good as the Matts. Very many of them had two daughters, the elder called Sophie and the younger, Emily.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Despite oversleeping a bit of eyelid inspection has taken place. The sore foot is a little better helped by the application of voltarol cream. Just eaten the last of the stollen, I started it Christmas eve and it was not expected to last through to the end of Christmas day but it made it to Boxing day but has now expired.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chris116 said:

You could be a VERY BUSY Bear with those three to keep happy!

It's a tough job, but some Bear's gotta do it....

Paws off, Grizz

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

NO! Absolutely NOT! A valet should not be pneumatically endowed.... 

p.s. And I thought that you were a respectable bear...

Who's fantasy is this??

56 minutes ago, BoD said:

I had a computer science class with no Matts.  It was un-four-Matt-ed.

Nooooo....I surrender......

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

I think you'd need a primer for all the different names in my classes at school. Though they were all common names, no coats with same name.   My brother and sisters have blends of previous generations names, I've never met anyone with my first name nor am I likely to which sometimes leaves me with dis temper.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

As a newcomer i have not met any of our esteemed company  yet.

When our eldest was christened my wife invited her cousin who brought her young son called Taylor 

Oh yes confusion reigned.

Andre Rieu i think is like marmite had fun watching Steve n Seagulls the Finnish bluegrass cover band new videos on you tube earlier.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... the North West Passage and the hunt for Franklin's lost expedition...

Mike, if you’re interested in the Franklin expedition, you might like this book:

Fatal Passage: The Story of John Rae, the Arctic Hero Time Forgot - Ken McGoogan

https://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Passage-Story-Arctic-Forgot/dp/0786711566

Rae was a very accomplished Arctic explorer who was the first European to learn of the fate of the Franklin expedition from Inuit. He made public the evidence of possible cannibalism and was shunned as a result, largely through the efforts of Franklin’s widow.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

2 hours ago, polybear said:

...Who's fantasy is this??...

From your frequent references to Ms Lusardi, Ms Quattro and Ms Kendal - yours, I believe!

The young ladies who I admired from afar when I was but a student learning my way around the human body, included Ms Helena Bonham-Carter, Ms Sean Young (Bladerunner) and Ms Jodie Foster (beauty and brains - a great combination).

iD

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The heyday of great Christmas specials is long past, nowadays all we have are unfunny so-called comedians desperately trying to “out-woke” one another, “celebrity” hosted programmes aimed at an audience with a mental age of 3 and recycled films that weren’t all that great on first viewing, let alone the hundreth...

How true!, even US TV had marvellous variety specials with big names and were actually entertaining and something to look forward to.  Sadly most of the big names have died off leaving so called specials in the realm of one song wonders who will be forgotten next year.  PBS is our only sane network these days who show some decent shows, albeit a lot of repeats of repeats.  Of course, theres always FOX, famous for its female presenters with short skirts and blonde hair and for being a Trump mouthpiece!:rolleyes_mini:

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hunt the Wren is a very strong tradition here, and was followed today due to the rather better CV19 situation here.

I'm a few pages behind.

Did you move to Dartmouth? 

• Like 1
  • Funny 13