The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

today is the anniversary of the 1981 Penlee Lifeboat disaster.  The  8 crew members from the Solomon Browne and the 5 crew along with the captain's wife and 2 daughters they were trying to rescue from the MV Union Star all lost their lives.  I know that Rick knew and was

Thanks GDB - 39 years ago and it has come up almost as yesterday as too has the memory of having actually seen the Lifeboat.  Remember them every time we go down.  A late FiL was a marine engineer and lost a number of friends and colleagues when one of the company ships  was lost ... and it was not helped by the fact that the issues surrounding its loss came up as a case study on a course I attended some years later.  The Lifeboat men and women risk their lives on a regular basis in saving lives at sea and this end have been supporting for over 50 years.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Coombe Barton, as a direct relative you can get his war records 

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Afternoon Awl,

The land rover was unloaded,

The car was inspected, but since it was raining I just observed the fan belt is a bit loose.. work on that tomorrow.

So today I've made,

Three shelving doors, cut one more exact blank, and there is a sheet of OSB , which is part demolished, into a blank which would cover an entire shelving unit.

The six inches of the Aft end of the keel was sanded both sides, a thickened resin mix was used  bond on a stop of glass fibre right round the edge , and another strip one side over lapping the edge.

This strip will be matched by another tomorrow, on the other side, forming a thin edge but not sharp. The recommended being less than 5mm to reduce turbulence, but a cut off stern, almost a 'Camm' tail .

I left it with a fan heater gently blowing on it so ensure it reached the 15C setting temperature.

Then Ben the it's time for my Walk Collie wanted his long walk.. we didn't get far, the full artillery brigade appears to be blasting the pheasants. Ben refused to go further, so we returned to the house, loaded Ben into the car, and we went to the beach.. He greatly enjoyed that, but we came back when it started raining.

Back into the workshop, the keel has set very nicely, fan off , head for the sofa, and an eyelid inspection.

Followed by a glass of red, and a ginger biscuit. I quite like the biscuit, SWMBO wasn't impressed with the chocolate biscuit, so some may come my way in a very rationed format.

Ben, decided he would lie alongside me.. giving me the big state, he got a small piece of biscuit, after that he was devoted.. He kept staring at me and then the packet of biscuits....

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I remember watching a documentary on the loss of the solomon brown horrendous, 

I was watching some programme last week and they took you in to the old lifeboat station left just as it had been when they launched that night. 

Much respect to the lifeboat crews and mountain rescue teams that are all volunteers 

• Like 15
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Since just before leaving the RAF in 88,  I kept a CV  on a computer  including everything, it came to a good half dozen pages. Should one be needed, I looked at the job advert and cut it down to the recommended two sides of the most relevant info.

Thinking about it, that Full CV is probably still on the PC somewhere, though not updated for the last 15 years...

I see pasties and mash have the same effect on NHN as they do on me..

Talking of which while stirring my porridge yesterday I came across something..a sweetcorn kernel I'm guessing they had been grinding sweetcorn before the oats..  But I do wonder if that's the cause of some erratic readings this week.

Richard Todd, the actor took part in the film "The Longest Day" the capture of Pegasus bridge, . He had to play Major John Howard,  in one scene The Major is seen speaking to Lieutenant..Richard Todd..

Gone are the days when film actors could play a military serviceman properly.. Because they had been one and knew how to behave...

"

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Q, porridge is a no no for me, gives me a 13.....we're all different in T2 diabetes world!  Rice is the worst, then spuds, pasta and processed floury things - pastry, bread (Burgen isn't as bad, half the carb) and so on.  But it isn't always the same, I think the erratic readings are part and parcel of the condition, sometimes there is just no explanation.  I treat myself to fish and half a portion of chips once a week, and don't usually measure too bad afterwards, about 8, then one week it will be 12. As my HBA1c is always OK (35) then it is well under control.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

14 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Way to go Poly - I have a 4 in winter, 2 in summer, but for free in the kitchen!  Wahl clippers, had them years.

I got me a Wahl a few years back; never used any of the 'spacers', just the basic clippers. Saved myself a fortune doing it myself but have to check I haven't missed a lump! ;)

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Mrs Stationmaster cuts my hair so no problems about getting it done this year.  The other day i was even called upon t0 trim and tidy hers around the back of her neck.  My success in that task can be judged by the fact that i have subsequently made posts here and elsewhere on RMweb (or a lack of suitable mirrors to view the back of her head?)

CVs?  In my inconsultancy days I used to keep 4 different CVs on the 'puter using whichever one suited the job the company were bidding me for.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. So now we're in tier 4. Not that it will make a lot of difference to me other than I will not be going into town tomorrow as the shops I intended going to will be shut. On to other things, I collected the TV schedule and had a quick look and I noticed that 'The eagle has landed' is on this evening at 5:50 on BBC2. I do recall someone (ChrisF?) saying they would watch it if its on. Better be quick as its only five minutes as I write.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Stranger times.

Does the panel think...

..... that the good folk of London and the S.E. will just accept that their Xmas plans have been cancelled with less than a weeks notice or will there be trouble at t’mill palace.

• Like 8
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I noticed that 'The eagle has landed' is on this evening at 5:50 on BBC2. I do recall someone (ChrisF?) saying they would watch it if its on.

I think it was “Where Eagles Dare” not being on this Christmas that got a mention. I have just set the Sky Box to record The Eagle Has Landed”. I am recording three programmes but only two are in at once. No errors generated  so it should be ok. Aditi asked me to record the 1951 “Scrooge”. I have but I really don’t like A Christmas Carol unless it has Muppets.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Zoom

One of the people in Aditi’s French group doesn’t have a computer or broadband or a smartphone. It doesn’t stop her suggesting other people who do should practice to make their presentations of a high quality. Anyway this person  did go to a relatives house (support bubble location) for the final meeting of the year. When they joined the Zoom meeting the computer joined with the relatives name. The host didn’t recognise the name so rejected and blocked. After a phone call another computer was tried. Someone had to phone to gently point out that a computer without camera and microphone wasn’t going to work well. 
Aditi being positive said they at least now know how to unblock someone. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

Oh well, I suppose SWMBO and myself will just have to munch our way through Christmas on our own. 

Who is going to do a long two-way trip just to eat some turkey and go home again before the end of the day? Not our offspring anyway. 

It may take a day to sink in, but I think the general instruction is for the majority of people to spend Christmas Day in their own homes, unless they live quite close to their family members. 

The 24th and 26th will be normal tier days, which means minimal social contact, so we might as well just grin and bear it. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10