The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Bear is being economical with the truth and has been selectively editing :nono:. My original post referred to illicit cake removal and ended with"asking nicely may help".

If asked nicely, I have been known to dispatch selected canine, ursine and hippopotamid chums on their way with groaning hampers filled with CAKE, homemade fruit infused gins, homemade brandy marinated fruits & fruit compotes, homemade Swiss Christmas biscuits and the occasional homemade pork pie (some selected h0m0 sapiens are sometimes included in my munificence).

See, even Captain Cynical has a soft side at Christmas (unfortunately...)

As for those who don't ask nicely? Let's say the last lot who did that are now helping shore-up the Gotthard Base Tunnel

Can this offer of free hampers be extended to Tigers?

• Like 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not had a lot of trouble from the sore foot or from Arthur Itis today but it seems they are both beginning to stir. Been too busy for eyelid inspection but thats next, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I am hoping that with an infection rate of 125 per 100k we may be moved from Tier 3 to 2 this morning, as some places already in Tier 2 are around that level, and certain hotspots in Tier 3 have infection rates five or six times that of ours. 

Leeds is 138.. our part of leeds its 80.4.. beds in use for Covid in the North East and Humber  are falling.. but we are still in Tier 3.. I smell a rat, large, ill disguised!

Parts of Durham (Teesdale especially) have very, very low rates but, unlike part of Surrey they are in Tier 3 as part of "Durham"....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Can this offer of free hampers be extended to Tigers?

Quite possibly, quite possibly. The team at Captain Cynical’s Alpine Redoubt(tm) is always on the lookout for talent. And as it happens, we’re currently looking for someone adept at slashing, rending and disembowelling and a Tiger could well fit the job...

The salary is only adequate (it’s just twice the UK average, I’m afraid), but the benefits are good: such as mandatory Cake Sampling Technique seminars and the possibility of using a number of the Captain’s Swiss Bank Accounts to minimise - how can I put it - “Government Curiosity” about the few pennies a simple Tiger may earn in his spare time...

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Leeds is 138.. our part of leeds its 80.4.. beds in use for Covid in the North East and Humber  are falling.. but we are still in Tier 3.. I smell a rat, large, ill disguised!

Parts of Durham (Teesdale especially) have very, very low rates but, unlike part of Surrey they are in Tier 3 as part of "Durham"....

Bear has just checked the local rate - 605/100,000 :scared: Jeez, last time I looked (a few days ago) ISTR it was about 380.  509 cases this week, which is up 304 on the previous week.

10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

That really is sad   - will a koala help?

acb5521105984a905058983d7c29b5be.jpg.f4b9ca5a144fdab7d5d5ba2b6cb729d6.jpg

It certainly brightened up this Bear's day....:thankyou:

In other news:

The plasterer came today and delivered 4 sheets of EML Lath; he'd been to Jewsons but they wanted twelve quid + vat a sheet, so he went to Wickes and paid forty quid inclusive - and charged me forty quid, delivered :D  And all done without any committment from me (or pressure from him) that I'd accept his quote.

More free advice given, and a quote for the job of £720, with 3 day's work.  That'll do.

The last bit of wall was scraped, squirty foam around the window frame went well (I'll leave it a couple of days before trimming), new bulb fitted in the porch light, a bit of filler mixed up & applied, and kitchen worktop cut down a bit to make fitting the EML a lot easier.  That's a job to start tomorrow - not looking forward to it, as each sheet may well entail the drilling of something like 50 off x 5mm diameter x 30mm deep holes in the wall.  The new neighbours will like it even less - maybe I'll save a sheet and fit it on Chrimbo day....:laugh: Mind you, they're having bathroom work done at the moment so fair's fair.

Trying to decide on a supplier for the new kitchen units - bl00dy nightmare.  Ready made units are a problem (no storage) but might be do-able if I split the delivery into two; I'm quite happy to assemble myself if I can find the right cabinet spec. - many have hardboard backs to the cabinets, for example, and I'd much rather have more solid backs for strength and rigidity.

• Like 18

Well, don't feel like I've achieved much today.

But then a day of general rest is good.

Tomorrow Mrs and Master STH will be heading out so will allow me an opportunity to get on 3D printing some stuff I'll probably never use and fixing up a loco that needs DCC / LED conversion - LEDs being the dual red/white ones so not as easy as some others!

Night all.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Didn't venture out today but now the fridge is empty of dinners its a case of having to tomorrow. Yesterday there was no papers when I called the shop I was informed that they were closed but I did manage to get my papers elsewhere. There was speculation that they were closed due to covid-19 but the papers were there when I came down this morning. The newsagents is also a sub post office so the sudden closure might be something to do with that. The sore foot feels to have been on fire this afternoon but a cooling wipe with a damp flannel and a fresh dressing seems to have calmed things down. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Quite possibly, quite possibly. The team at Captain Cynical’s Alpine Redoubt(tm) is always on the lookout for talent. And as it happens, we’re currently looking for someone adept at slashing, rending and disembowelling and a Tiger could well fit the job...

The salary is only adequate (it’s just twice the UK average, I’m afraid), but the benefits are good: such as mandatory Cake Sampling Technique seminars and the possibility of using a number of the Captain’s Swiss Bank Accounts to minimise - how can I put it - “Government Curiosity” about the few pennies a simple Tiger may earn in his spare time...

Me being part Viking means the pillaging comes as a natural habit and Bit Coins will be perfectly acceptable lol.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 14