The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... Stollenloch might be a reference to some form of cakehole, although it could also just be a rubbish chute.

Don't forget, a rubbish chute still ends up inside where you want to be! :yahoo_mini: And, it just might be even closer to the source.

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear realised today that I need to update my personal contact details with my bank, including my email address (for some reason they had my work email) and work phone number - both of which are of little use since I retired at the end of April....

Email address was no problem; however, deleting my work phone number isn't allowed - there has to be a number in the box.  Ok, Bear is smarter that yer average etc. etc.....so I put my home number in the work box too.  Nope, can't use the same number twice.  Ok, so bung my mobile number in the work box.  Nope, can't do that either, as I've already used it in the mobile number box.....

So what the f. hell are retired people etc. supposed to do??  Obviously the website was designed by a complete grade A cockwomble.

Rant over

Try entering the bank's number

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, BokStein said:

...I recall recently in an hotel in Graubuenden, watching scrambled egg mix being poured from a Tetra Brick into the pan during breakfast! I did not note the source of the bacon but both tasted OK at that time of the morning!

Liquid egg, in other words eggs that have been shelled, yolks and whites mixed and sieved and then packed are a common catering staple.  There’s nothing wrong with them and they are popular because for many recipes, especially for baking, the recipe calls for grams of egg rather than number of eggs. However, pouring it straight from the container into the pan is a bit tacky. 
I sometimes get a container of ready-to-go egg if I know that I will be doing a lot of baking or egg-based dishes.  And apart from the ready mixed egg, you can also get ready to-go-egg white and ready-to go-egg yolk. Both of which are incredibly useful if you do a lot of patisserie.

15 hours ago, polybear said:

There's nothing like a bit of care and compassion towards those who have the misfortune of a medical condition....

Unfortunately, for the people who really do suffer from gluten intolerance or from irritable bowel syndrome (which also requires careful attention to diet) the waters have been muddied by all the attention seeking trendies who have started claiming that they are “this intolerant and that intolerant”  when they are nothing of the sort. My good friend (and former GP, now retired) has said that the real incidence of true IBS and gluten intolerance has barely changed over the 30 years he was practising medicine. Sadly, because of all the attention seeking trendies, nowadays when someone says that they are gluten intolerant their claims are too often met with, at best, polite scepticism.

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

... if it wasn't for corvid...

Forgive me for being obtuse Phil, but what do blackbirds and ravens have to do with The Repair Shop? :D (which is an enjoyable programme, but I wish they’d concentrate more on the materials and methods used than on the soppy “I got daddy’s wotsit back” emotional b0ll0cks).

Your post about Romford Station brought back memories, I spent part of my childhood living in the Romford-Gidea Park-Hornchurch triangle (a bit like the Bermuda Triangle but without the sun...:jester:).
Although I model GWR (well someone has to do it...) when I first returned to railway modelling I had ideas about either modelling Romford Station or, more likely, Gidea Park Station as they were in 1968. Sadly, due to the absence of RTR rolling stock and a lack of faith, at the time,  in my modelling skills, I switched to my second choice-GWR-for which there was plenty of RTR material. Now that I am sufficiently confident of my skills to build from kits and from scratch, I have invested too much money in GWR rolling stock to switch to 1968 BR Eastern Region :(

Finally, Mrs iD has changed her mind (Or as she puts it “carefully re-evaluated all the available data and have arrived at a different conclusion“) and CAKE will be made for consumption at the Holiday Hovel (NOTE: any ursine or hippopotamid incursions for the purposes of illicit baked comestible removal will be met with a robust response carried out with extreme prejudice [asking nicely may work])

Edited by iL Dottore
censoring software (good old anglo-saxon word removed)
  • Like 17
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Mild and dry start to the day here and it should stay like that with extended sunny spells.  Hopefully this will mean that the roofer can do the repairs to Nicki's roof.  I'm not needed to supervise as SiL Steve will be there.

Visit to the car dealers went well and all missing paperwork is no longer. (missing)

First bin lorry of the day collecting general waste is outside and two more are due.

We've also got a Sainsbury's delivery due and it seems we're getting almost everything we ordered although there are two minor acceptable substitutions.

Really sorry to read of Gordon's problems and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BokStein said:

Try entering the bank's number

A cunning and despicable plan, and would only serve to confuse and wind-up the poor hard working bank staff.

Number duly inserted and worked a treat...:laugh:

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

CE92831C-AC1A-4C0F-B3E5-4870D679DC45.jpeg.f089dfcf26c638d89cb55b8d87e22a13.jpeg

18535E75-6047-4B5D-9F1D-E81A030DD607.jpeg.ee57c45525cb4a4fcc0a0248f0007018.jpeg

Not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but there appears to be strong evidence that the first picture shows strong evidence of being an early Banksy, if I'm not mistaken.....:jester:

Bear has an appointment with a can of squirty building foam (the kinda stuff that supposedly doubles in size as it cures, and is used to fill holes as when it cures it's a sort of dense polystyrene material) - I need to fill at gap around the new kitchen window frame.  Could get messy.

Then it's more prep work in the kitchen today, ready for the plasterer in the new year.  Deep joy.  I've also sent off messages to three local floor tilers for quotes.  I'm not terribly hopeful of getting a response, based on my experience with getting a response from gas fitters to cap my cooker point - 9 emailed, two responded; obviously dead easy money-for-old-rope jobs are not in demand at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

......and CAKE will be made for consumption at the Holiday Hovel (NOTE: any ursine or hippopotamid incursions for the purposes of illicit baked comestible removal will be met with a robust response carried out with extreme prejudice ......

Bear never ceases to be warmed by the continued resurgence at this time of year of Good Will to all Bears (and Hippo's) coupled with overflowing chrimbo spirit (not to be confused with the alcoholic variety).....:beee:

• Like 5
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear never ceases to be warmed by the continued resurgence at this time of year of Good Will to all Bears (and Hippo's) coupled with overflowing chrimbo spirit (not to be confused with the alcoholic variety).....:beee:

Mr Bear I have more than a sneaking suspicion that el doctorie will be at the front door of the hovel ready to greet you with a pickaxe handle behind his back - that is of course if you manage to negotiate his minions and the minefield(s).

• Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hip still going bonkers, naproxen seemingly not that helpful after all, but it certainly is causing really vivid dreams.  No, not that sort. Unfortunately.

Remember that the anti-inflammatory action of all NSAIDS does not become apparent for upto four weeks so don’t stop taking them just yet.  

Robert

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

2 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

OK thanks Robert, hadn't realised it could take that long, I thought a few days to a week would show.  I would always take a prescribed course anyway, no point otherwise.

Just seen your comments earlier about ‘woolly’ head. I think this will clear in a couple of day. Bye for now SWMBO calling.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3