The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I've been given 6 months to get my numbers down by changes in lifestyle. If not then statins will be on the menu. I was asked what I thought about them. I've heard good and bad, but not done any research to date. But plenty of reading about cholesterol is underway!

Years ago I was only given a small dose of statins as they needed to be used carefully with another existing condition. However I didn’t have any problems at all. The cardiac consultant earlier this year changed them for something she liked more. No problems with those either.  I am very lucky, the medication I get prescribed does its job without the nasty side effects reported by others.  Even the Ramipril “cough” isn’t that bad and has largely disappeared as the dose was increased. I was told not to “suffer” as alternatives were available. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

'Where Eagles Dare'

I just looked to see when it was on over Christmas (don’t ask why, it seems to be one of Aditi’s favourite  Christmas films!). It isn’t on, except by Amazon “not included in Prime”. 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I mean what's so difficult about abseiling down the North Face of the Eiger? and busting into the redoubt via the Eigerwand or the Stollenloch.

I've always found it to be pretty straightforward, even at night :boast:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

Just now, Tony_S said:

I just looked to see when it was on over Christmas (don’t ask why, it seems to be one of Aditi’s favourite  Christmas films!). It isn’t on, except by Amazon “not included in Prime”. 

Guns of Naverone was another film that always seemed to be on at Xmas. 

I love the theme tune covered by the Skatellites.

Neil a lot of truck sat navs were 12v drivers use an inverter to convert 24vto 12vdc

I see the jet ski guy has got 4 weeks in the slammer. Claiming he was depressed he couldnt see his girlfriend that he hadnt know long

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

Neil a lot of truck sat navs were 12v drivers use an inverter to convert 24vto 12vdc

The sat nav ad that appeared on my Facebook (not sure why Tom Tom wanted to sell me a truck GPS) was 12 or 24volt. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

HUMP day - much like all the others now, they all just run together it seems <sigh>

Little of note here, sun comes up, moves across the sky, goes down.

Various "services" delivering packages daily now, the only way anyone is getting chrissy pressies this year is to order online. 

Looks like my chances to decide on a late in the day Hornby order/delivery are shot as they've ceased delivery outside the UK for now due to...wait for it...BREXIT uncertainties.

I thought the political situation here was a major sh!tshow, but I finally think BREXIT will have us beat by a country mile :jester:

That's it for me, the weather report is "a bit cold";

-9 first thing but sunny, bird bath taking longer each day to thaw out, even though it's a heated variety and I've got it set to come on an hour before dawn! Not getting above -1 today apparently.

Carry on.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Where there's cheese, there's  a whey.

Back to the TPO

GROAN.....

3 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

I thought the political situation here was a major sh!tshow, but I finally think BREXIT will have us beat by a country mile :jester:

Fear not, Bojo has the EU running scared now.....

• Agree 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. When I was working a voluntary six monthly health check was offered. That included a test for blood glucose, cholesterol and a few other things. My BG was normal but my cholesterol was usually quite low. On one occasion the tester couldn't give a figure as his machine couldn't measure less than three which my cholesterol usually hovered around. My brother is the same with regard to cholesterol. A former colleague when his mother had a heart attack was told to have his tested and afterwards was put on statins straight away.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

14 hours ago, polybear said:

No roast spuds, yorkshire's OR Cake??  Are you sure you've thought this out properly? 

It reminds me of the time I had a one night stay in a hotel bought for me and SWMBO . Being intolerant to gluten I checked when I booked that they could accommodate my needs. ‘I could have anything off the menu except the pasta’ was the reply. As it was Sunday I decided on the Sunday roast. When it appeared, no Yorkshires, no roasties and no gravy. Two slices of beef, some boiled potatoes and veg. I challenged the owner and he said ‘well it was gluten free’ Anyway he allowed me a desert on the house, the only thing GF was a chocolate orange mousse, which I detest but SWMBO kicked me under the table so in the end it was reluctantly consumed.

Edited by Erichill16
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Good evening,

After another day at the pleasure(?) dome, hopefully the Asylum's doors are back on their hinges and securely locked, well until tomorrow, that is!

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As a relevant digression, I have to say that one of the reasons I no longer eat out around here (of course I am talking about pre-CoVID19) is that not only can I usually cook better than most of the restaurants in the “average” price range, but when I go to the trade supermarket I shop at, I see familiar faces buying large cartons of things to either throw in the deep fat fryer or into a microwave. Quite frankly, I go to a restaurant for great food, great ingredients and great cooking not something microwaved!

I recall recently in an hotel in Graubuenden, watching scrambled egg mix being poured from a Tetra Brick into the pan during breakfast! I did not note the source of the bacon but both tasted OK at that time of the morning!

14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I must confess that I am surprised (and somewhat horrified) that you had to wait outside. When I went to see my GP recently, I arrived masked, disinfected my hands and sat in a waiting room which was reconfigured for social distancing.  After a short wait, my doctor (also masked) came and got me and we had the consultation.

Normally, my practice asks you, if you arrive by car, to wait therein to be called (they ask for the type, colour and registration of the car when making the appointment); works well.

However, things were slightly different on Saturday when I arrived for my flu jab with a nominal appointment of 10:48! I was told to join the queue, which I did some 10 minutes early. However, as they were, effectively running a 'production line', when I arrived at the front of the queue, their checkpoint charlene enquired my name and appointment time, ticked my name on the list and sent me to the next waiting point where I was reminded to make my shoulder 'ready' and see the nurse in that room. Name checked to ascertain the requisite vaccine which was duly administered before I was despatched back to the car, all in under 5 minutes!

The 'normal' has changed; one has to adapt to survive!

46 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Some of you whinges spare a thought for me, a pharmacist, I have/had to deal with checkpoint Charlie nearly every day of the week. 

On one occasion I got my own back.

A doctor had prescribed a drug that had been discontinued so I needed to speech with the prescriber to find a suitable alternate. I asked to speak to Dr and checkpoint Charlie said I couldn’t  but she would relay the message.  I suggested drug x as a suitable . After a few minutes she came back and said it was ok. Next question, what strength so off she went to find out. Ok that’s great, but know I need to know the frequency so off she went again. And then finally how many to give. 

Robert

This might suggest that the GP was not quite on the ball here! 'Hang on a sec., he wants to use a different drug, what else needs changing?' Perhaps a more 'considered' response should have been "OK, but change the strength to ... and the frequency to ..."?

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

Anyway he allowed me a desert on the house, the only thing GF was a chocolate orange mousse, which I detest but SWMBO kicked me under the table so in the end it was reluctant consumed.

There's nothing like a bit of care and compassion towards those who have the misfortune of a medical condition....:jester:

• Agree 8
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just watched 'The Repair Shop'. Though it didn't say it was a repeat a couple of the items have featured before. It's obvious that the programs were made last year/before the lockdown so I imagine that there would normally be a new series in the can if it wasn't for corvid. Now to make some tea and do battle with Farcebook.

• Like 13