The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I must confess that I am surprised (and somewhat horrified) that you had to wait outside.

My GP is the same - wait outside.  Five minutes early, and chucking with rain?  Tough - be on time.  But when they're running late it's still tough....

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I'm not sure is Hippos and bears are allowed to travel to the EU though. Lockdown 2 has now ended and curfew 1 has started here. Not much will change but I am having a combined shopping and trainspotting day out tomorrow.

Stealth mode engaged...incoming.....

My next-door neighbours are travelling out to their place in France at the weekend, for about a month.  We're in Tier 3, but it seems the rules still allow it.  Barking.

32 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It's not as good as fresh, but you could always make the roasties and yorkies beforehand and freeze them . So only needing to radiate them to hot on the day.. Lashings of thick gravy make them acceptable.. 

Or buy ready frozen.....they're pretty good in general.  Are Auntie Bessie's available in Switzerland? :)

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

A bit more information about  the Gotto Plan mentioned above. There is only one copy and that is in poor condition but has had conservation. Fortunately the whole 14 sheets are online (but I can't find the link at the moment).

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, pH said:

I remember being told that alcohol imbibed that way had a greater effect than the same amount drunk in the usual way. I’ve never tried to prove or disprove that. Has anyone else?

We used to put 2 straws in a bottle and call it shot gunning. We also tried snorting vodka from the base of the stem of an upturned wine glass.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

33 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

We used to put 2 straws in a bottle and call it shot gunning. We also tried snorting vodka from the base of the stem of an upturned wine glass.

Shotgunning a beer means something different here - something like a cheap ‘yard of ale’:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgunning

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have had a few cholesterol tests recently but none were fasting. I think they were just done “for information “. One was quite high, all the others were fine. This may of course be due to the quantity of statins I take. The hospital changed me from “rubbish” statins to “good” statins. Quotes are from consultant doing first angiogram! 

I've been given 6 months to get my numbers down by changes in lifestyle. If not then statins will be on the menu. I was asked what I thought about them. I've heard good and bad, but not done any research to date. But plenty of reading about cholesterol is underway!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18