The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Oops forgot. Mention of wines reminded me that there's vineyards even in Scotland.

https://www.winebusiness.com/news/?go=getArticle&dataid=171427

3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

There were vineyards in Britain in Roman times, not quite as far north as Scotland, mind you. Probably got wiped out by Dark Age volcanic eruption effects

There was a famous vine in Scotland in recent times -  the Kippen Vine. It was all under glass, though. I remember seeing it from outside the greenhouse in the early 1960s, just before it was ripped out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippen

It was planted to provide eating grapes, but someone has made wine using grapes from a cutting of it:

https://theweevine.org/2017/07/30/making-wine-from-kippens-famous-big-vine/

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a grape vine in the building over the subway steps at Knebworth Station when I used in it the late 70s/early 80s.

and someone used to harvest them..

Baz

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Jamie, little Emily is absolutely gorgeous!

Been raining steadily here for most of the day.  Dentist visit went off OK with no drama so that's alright.   After that we made a flying visit to Sainsbury's for some bread and other stuff that was running short.  Sainsbury's don't block alcohol on early morning deliveries here so is that a Tesco or a Scottish thing TB?

Tier 3 coming here tomorrow and not before time although I expect the prats to continue being prats.

Must fly now, I'm due at a Zoom meeting with old schoolmates shortly.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Jamie, little Emily is absolutely gorgeous!

Been raining steadily here for most of the day.  Dentist visit went off OK with no drama so that's alright.   After that we made a flying visit to Sainsbury's for some bread and other stuff that was running short.  Sainsbury's don't block alcohol on early morning deliveries here so is that a Tesco or a Scottish thing TB?

Tier 3 coming here tomorrow and not before time although I expect the prats to continue being prats.

Must fly now, I'm due at a Zoom meeting with old schoolmates shortly.

I think it's Scottish drinking laws, no alcohol sold before 11.00 am, I think it's to curb the excessive drinking, which it has failed to do spectacularly.

• Informative/Useful 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

A quick check-in, will recount the weekend tomorrow but couldn't resist sharing this as it started unexpectedly SNOWING here today;

Let-it-snow.jpg.c42e9c11f48440ea286f605088d87dc1.jpg

:jester: Sleep well those on the right (not CORRECT, RIGHT) side of the pond ;)

Hey, I am on the right side of the pond; Pacific Pond, to be exact as you did not specify! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

London into Lockdown.. no  surprises but its a big area Hope it works better than the Tier 3 in Kent is doing.. figures still on the up there. Ours are falling .. which is good but we still see blips in some parts of Leeds. WOuld be really nice to know why these are happening.

Bear is in Herts - the rate in my area is 391/100,000;  there are 380 cases in the latest week, up by 173 from last week.  Nearby Enfield has 1125 cases in the latest week, which is up by 482....

I've booked a haircut for wednesday, as I can see a lockdown rapidly approaching.

Not a great deal this afternoon (never did scrape the last bit of wall) except for a quick co-op run; the rest of the time was spent in kitchen sink plumbing plan-mode, involving a toolstation order to collect on wednesday.

A bit of a woolly sort of day really.  must get my ar5e in gear.

Several super dooper yummy cakes on special in the co-op, but still not the lemon drizzle cake.  Turdycurses.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

We are still tier 2 but the border with tier 3 is just up the road by about 3 - 4 miles. Our rate is hovering around 100 in 100,000 but had been down to about 80 in lockdown 2.0.

Our planned meet up with friends outside a pub in Croydon on Saturday is now off so now deciding what we do for my other halfs long weekend break. Certainly won't be doing any shopping but might include quite a few substantial meals

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

include quite a few substantial meals

The only meals I have had  outside this house and garden since February were courtesy of the NHS as an in patient. It will be quite nice to revisit a few places and perhaps have a meal, it was a bit of a treat to have a meal (often substantial) at the restaurant at the top of the hill at the Hyde Hall RHS gardens. Lockdown or tiers are irrelevant, I will be waiting until the vaccines are widely available. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Apparently the shops are being allowed to stay open but pubs and restaurants can only do takeaways. That was from the BBC London news this evening. 

Same Tier 3 in most of Essex as other existing Tier 3 areas.   Colchester, Tendring and Uttlesford are Tier 2 still. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all, ...snip... but I have never been warned off brussel sprouts in consequence (which would have been very handy although they are coked here in butter and without spending hours in a pan so they taste fairly sweet)

I know what happens to coal when it is coked, but Brussels Sprouts?? :o

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I know what happens to coal when it is coked, but Brussels Sprouts?? :o

A young lady I worked with admitted that her cooking was so bad she could burn water. If she could do that coking brussell sprouts should be easy.

• Like 3
  • Funny 12