The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

She is fully aware of what is being done.  :yes:  It has nothing to do with small wheeled items that run on strips of metal.

But:

"Aware" doesn't equal "permission"......

"Small two-wheeled" doesn't rule out "large two wheeled"....

Bear is currently washing down the ceiling with sugar soap.  It's killing me man....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jamie - whilst I made several transits of the canal in both directions when on smaller ships (our larger were too big to get through, there is such a thing as 'Panamax'  designs, we only had one that I didn't sail on, about 80,000 dwt but a bit narrow for their size IIRC, we had many much larger vessels) I was always too busy to have time to grab a camera and take any photos - a junior officers lot!  Pah.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I have known several people who have crewed on these things as Deck Officers and the ships have two problems .  The obvious one - as with many ro-ro vessels - is the way they are loaded and unloaded and the way the cargo weight is distributed (hence the Southampton Water capsize).  And because the long distance vessels load higher above the water line than most ferries this adds to the potential problem.

Their other problem is that for their overall length they have a considerable amount of windage which can cause problems both at sea and when docking or undocking apart from making them  occasionally uncomfortable sea boats.   Grimaldi do 'cargo voyages' for paying passengers and someone we know who tried one didn't find the ship uncomfortable (it was mainly around the Mediterranean).  But the food was far too consistent for her because every meal was pasta and the passenger (only her on that trip) had to eat with the Captain so meal times were a bit unreliable.

274597261_P1010739copy.jpg.f88c04453c0e216245ddd553ddc242af.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

The only ship (though not for huge ships) sized canal I have travelled along is the Kiel Canal. The ship had on previous years needed a special licence or whatever they are called to transit the canal but at the last refit they had taken a metre off the mast specially. Aditi had been through the Suez Canal, but she doesn’t really recall it. She did remember that her Mum had bought her a toy camel in Aden and all the sand had leaked out by the time they got to Marseilles. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

We have just had an extra excitement today. A visit to the local recycling centre on Canvey Island. All very socially distant and organised. Aditi didn’t really want the cooker to be on the front lawn until scrap metal collectors turned up. I got rid of a couple of old pc cases and a dead printer too. We did travel over but fortunately not in salty water. 
Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Thanks Jamie - whilst I made several transits of the canal in both directions when on smaller ships (our larger were too big to get through, there is such a thing as 'Panamax'  designs, we only had one that I didn't sail on, about 80,000 dwt but a bit narrow for their size IIRC, we had many much larger vessels) I was always too busy to have time to grab a camera and take any photos - a junior officers lot!  Pah.

Thanks Neil, the daybwas the highlight of the cruise for me. We entered at dawn and exited at twilight. I believe that P&O paid something over $200,000  for the passage and garunteed entry times. They opened up the verandas below the bridge for the day and we had a tannoy commentary most of the day. Our cabin was on the starboard side with a balcony but if I wanted Port side pictures, it was a mad dash down two flights of stairs to the boat deck. It kept me fit but was a fantastic day. When I've finished doing my Random British railway pictures I'll start another thread for American railways from Panama to Alaska and will keep you posted. Engine rooms are definitely securely off limits but therecwere some very good lectures on our last cruise followed by Q and A sessions to various officers from different disciplines.

18 minutes ago, john new said:

A chapter covering the Panama canal mule locos is in our Eclectic Electrics book. See https://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/SLS book detail vol two.htm 

Thanks for that John. I'll order it. The mules are fascinating. The double cabbed early series were in some sort of encyclopedia I had as a kid. They are nowvon their 3rd set of mules. Most of the 2nd set are dumped on the Atlantic side by the lower lock where there is one of the early ones preserved. I do have a photo of it's cab roofs.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Hair cut completed successfully.. Lummy my ears are freezing!!

Time for a mugadecaff to warm me up!

Baz

You ought to have met the two drill Sgts I did in November 73 at Wakefield and then Newby Wiske, 3 haircuts in a fortnight, I was freezing as it had been shoulder length until then. It was dark brown then however.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all ...snip... One day it will be a key link in my journey to Marrakech but it's on indefinite hold.

...snip...

Best wishes to all

Chris   

As soon as I read that, I thought of this song:

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, pH said:

We’ve only been on one cruise - to the eastern Caribbean. Friends who were avid ‘cruisers’ persuaded us to go with them and made all the arrangements. We did enjoy it, but that’s it ticked off the ‘to do’ list and we’ve not felt we really need to go on another. (After getting off the ship in Fort Lauderdale, we drove down to Key West. Now, that’s something I would happily do again!)

The one cruise I might want to do is the one that Jamie has described just above, through the Panama Canal. Every year (this, of course being the exception), all the cruise ships that have been sailing out of Vancouver to Alaska all summer re-position to the Caribbean for the winter. There’s another fleet moves the opposite way in the spring. There are usually bargains to be had on these trips.

Someone is positioning their ship to the US Northwest by a more novel route next year - via the Northwest Passage.  The ship has a proper ice strengthened hull but the last time they tried to get one of their ships all the way through there was too much ice even in the summer so they had to turn back.

• Informative/Useful 14

Blast, just missed moaning, it's now affernoon :)

So, somewhere along the way my ejumakashun seems to have been sorely remiss. In working on decoding various coded messages in our "solve a murder" game last evening, one of the encryption methods uses characters such as "*-&" etc to replace vowels.

Off I went  good as gold, trying to decode a message encoded with this method and was confused by a couple of words, until the Mrs pointed out that a couple of the letters that were hampering me were "y's"! 

"Y" isn't a vowel shouts me, whereupon I'm inform it actually is??

So did my schooling through the late '60s fail me? I've never before heard or been told that "vowels are a,e,i,o,u AND OCCASIONALLY Y"!

After large amounts of texting with the kids and friends I'm assured I'm the village idiot and the entire world knows "y" is a vowel <sigh>

Retiring to the corner with a dunces cap on.

Nothing else going on - internet failed four times today, I glanced out the window and there, large as life, is "man" on a ladder up the utilities pole!

Went and had a chat with him and they're replacing some dodgy equipment before there is a more serious failure - be nice if they had TOLD us???

-2 and sunny first thing, heading for 8.

Back to work, hopefully my IT knowledge is better than my English, and not lacking some fundamental details :O :jester:

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14