The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As I mentioned I had a haircut this afternoon and now I think my ears have just warmed up. Apparently Basildon has the highest Covid rate in tier 2 so we're only eight days away from tier 3 unless the rate decreases somewhat in the next week.

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Where do some of these people get their brains from, or for that matter whoever employed them. I've left a comment on the other point you raised as its not for these pages (politics).

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

My Grandad used to tell us tales of Artic Convoys on a Destroyer Hms Impulsive he was ERA(E) one thing that stuck in my mind was he sais sometimes he was just waiting fot a torpedo to come through the side of the ship. They had steam pipes from the boilers running round the superstructure to prevent icing but they still had to chip ice off with sledgehammers. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ashcombe said:

Some of you may be interested to know that several cruise ships (and the ocean liner QM2!!)  have been anchored in Torbay since the Spring! There just aren’t enough mooring spaces available in ports. They are regarded with great affection by the locals, not least because they have donated surplus food to our local homeless charities. Some landlubbers are planning to gather boxes of treats for the crews for Christmas. 

Today, there were six in sight as I walked over Babbacombe Downs! Earlier this year, some enterprising boat owners, who normally run ferries within the bay, organised trips for people to view the ships at close quarters. My son, grandson and I joined one such trip last month. 

I've been on three cruises (excluding those of the canal variety)

One of the vessels we sailed in is currently anchored in Torbay.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-3.505/centery:50.438/zoom:13

Holland America's RMS Volendam 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:264386/mmsi:245968000/imo:9156515/vessel:VOLENDAM

The stock picture on marine traffic was taken at Canada Place, Vancouver, where we disembarked from our Trans-Pacific Silver Wedding anniversary holiday. (Not my pic...)

The other two were short trips - first cruise was our honeymoon on Carnival Lines "Mardi Gras" - formerly name "Empress of Canada". Full of "spring-breakers" out of Port Canaveral -we felt very old at 27/30!

Third trip was the "Regal Princess" for Junior's 21st a couple of years back.

Cruise ships tend to run to US alcohol laws and her birthday was a full at-sea day.

We went to buy a drink at the bar and she had to produce her ID. When she explained to the staff that it was the first time she'd bought me an alcoholic beverage, it was on the house!

There was a complimentary cake in the restaurant that evening.

There is a brand demographic for cruises as I think there are only 3 or 4 major cruise line players.

For example: Carnival own:

Carnival Cruise Line, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, Seabourn, P&O Cruises (Australia), Costa Cruises, AIDA Cruises, P&O Cruises (UK) and Cunard.

Princess Cruises suited Junior for a family trip, but it would be Carnival if she was with her mates, Holland America is great for me and Mrs NB.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Even more fun for container ships

RORO* car carriers might be the worst for "loss of stability incidents".

* Properly roll-on/roll-off, sometimes more accurately roll-on/roll-over.

MV Cougar Ace (North Pacific, 2006, Mazda cars on board)

MV Golden Ray (Georgia, 23 minutes after casting off, 2019, Hyundai and Kia cars on board)

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Evenin' each,

Been absent since Sunday as I've been a bit busy and possibly a bit silly for the last couple of days. In fact some may possibly say I'm completely bonkers and I wouldn't disagree but you only live once and I've decided to splash out on a new large item.  All will be revealed if the deal is completed in a couple of days time.

Wonder if what you did is what I did back in September?

Talking about cruises, a cruise is something that I have not done and have no intention of doing. My only experience on the water was a liner trip from Southampton to Hong Kong via the Suez Canal, Aden, Colombo, Penang, the port for Kuala Lumpur and Singapore on the P&O Chitral (weight 13.800 tons, speed 16.5kn) to take up my appointment with The Chartered Bank back in 1966.

Up until that time the only boats I had been on were the paddle steamers on the Woolwich Free Ferry.

Time for bed now, pleasant dreams.

Keith

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

At one of the Vickers company meetings Brown Brothers (who designed and built stabilisers for large ships) showed a film of a liner with and without the stabilisers being active.  Not nice for those with a problem stomach when they were switched off.

Baz

On our Trans Pacific crossing, one of the stabilisers was out of action for about 4 hours.

The worst consequence was the water sploshing out of the jacuzzi!

• Like 5
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Not so keen on the high-seas variety of crusing - and as swmbo doesn't take well to ithe sea it won't happen - but we both rather like the idea of a river cruise in Germany. Something for retirement I guess.

To Mike's early mention of ships arrested or abandoned in UK waters we didn't see any cases of that in my time. We did have many many cases in other parts of the world where seafarers were essentially held in some cases for years. There weren't  many volunteers to replace crew on a ship where you'd not get paid or likely not leave it. This was quite common, whereas long-term hostage taking in the Gulf was higher profile but smaller scale by comparison. In those cases it was the cargo which was weighed in the negotistibg scales not the crew who were largely incidental. 

To Flavio's point about Venice. Definitely transformed out of season. Spent Christmas there once; very atmospheric.

But mon dieu he's now got me thinking about risotto - oh my waist line! 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark but not raining yet.  Chance of some showers though along with some bright spells later.

A few odd tasks to do today including some paperwork, money "laundering" and preparation for an event that may happen tomorrow.  One of you is just about right but it's not Tony. :no:  I've got "Dumbleton" but not  "Albert." :rolleyes:

I also need a haircut so will visit The Boss's "salon" later.  This means I will then feel the cold a lot more.  It's surprising what a difference removing about 7 or 8mm of hair makes.  I have the clippers set to 0.5mm which I'm told by Herself results in me looking like someone on a "Wanted" poster.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4