The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And made even more famous in Round The Horne, the sequel to Beyond our Ken (FWIW, I think that RTH is the much better and funnier programme).

I have been a long time aficionado of RTH (and had the wonderful experience of being in the audience for a RTH recording, long before I knew what a double-entendre was).

What is perhaps is a sad commentary about today’s society is that RTH would not be considered “appropriate” (aka “politically correct”) today and yet the sympathetic portrayal of the the two gay characters in the series, the out of work actors Julian and Sandy, did much to paint gay people in a positive light (and the actors portraying Julian and Sandy were themselves gay).  And this in a time where homosexuality was illegal and homophobia rife in society.

When I looked at from a certain angle, RTH was very daring and progressive indeed, but as it was not “in your face“ and aggressive, the comedy did more to influence peoples opinions than any amount of “Woke”  posturing can ever do today.

I couldn't agree more! For a while recently, RTH was being broadcast on Radio 4 Extra and made for excellent listening. When it changed to Beyond Our Ken, I heard part of one episode and switched off!

Hugh Paddick and Kenneth Williams were so bona! And as for Rambling Sid Rumpole, may one continue to furtle!

Unfortunately, Innuendo and Double Entendres seem to be a thing of the past, but without them, we would never have had the Carry On series of 30 films (Columbus is too pc) or the likes of Bob Monkhouse or Frankie Howerd et alia who, IIRC, never swore or stated the obvious but just made good use of these two techniques to induce a suggestion.

I would finish with my favourite Double Entendre, in which a girl walks into a bar and asks the barman for a double entendre. The pc insanity of the current times forbids me from delivering the punch line!

Somehow, puns seem to have survived, however. Consider the classic quote from Carry On Matron: "[Kenneth Williiams] Matron, I was once a weak man", [Hattie Jaques] Doctor, once a week is enough for any man!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 6
  • Agree 13

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Wokeness and political correctness are the scourge of modern society.

I have Polish neighbours one side and Ghanians on the other everybody gets on ok the only problem we have is a lot of houses are rented so there is quite a turnover of residents in normal times. 

Whatever wokeness is?  Sadly too many rentals tend to drag down the price of ones property value if concentrated in one area and frequent ownership has a similar effect.  At least it does here!

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I managed a little time in the workshop after dinner, I didn’t get any wiring done, but instead I did a bit of preparation for when I have a bit more time to actually get the wiring installed, hopefully sometime over the weekend. I knocked off early as I had a fruit tea loaf, which I’d left soaking since last night to finish off. Once the flour had been added and mixed it went in the oven for a couple of hours. 

After tea it was time to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, it was quiet and well stocked, but there were a couple of people not wearing masks, both young men and of an ethnic group best described as the ‘at risk’ and as far as I’m concerned both candidates for the Darwin Award. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I may have mentioned before that they are carving up Basildon town centre. This involves one-way streets becoming two way and other access roads being closed. Someone has very conveniently posted a video of driving around the new layout here. 

Even more convenient for me as it starts and finishes at the end of my road. Tony has mentioned going into Basildon so I hope this is useful.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Nope, I have had booster shots for a number of Vaccines over the years.. Yellow Fever anyone?  It is only recently they have stopped handing out Tetanus boosters. Some Vaccines offer "lifetime " protection based on the reduction of people who have actually got a problem with that particular nasty. 

Baz 

Tetanus  jabs definitely have a lifespan. because when I suffered my earth (actually a bramble) fault in the garden a few months  back the hospital checked the date of my last anti-tet injection and I was somewhat out of date so was given one - not a booster but the full on version.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

As I have no idea what you are scraping off your walls, a lot of posts have been unrated.

Comedy: I feel that liberating the language and ideas that can be used has eliminaed the need to be clever in communicating something without saying it.

As Guelph has had 56 cases of that thing, we are now in code red. I'm not sure what that fully means, but I think the book store will be closed and the likker store open.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

...snip... Quite a lot of the people on QM2 were using the regular Atlantic crossing as they didn’t  really like flying. Not that everyone has a week to spend eating 4 meals a day. Some of the passengers had 4 legs, I think it was 20 dogs and 1 cat. British dogs had a lamppost to wee on, there was a fire hydrant for US dogs

Hmmm, I did not know that there was a cultural difference! :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 18

Good Morning (or at least is indoors!)

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Tetanus  jabs definitely have a lifespan. because when I suffered my earth (actually a bramble) fault in the garden a few months  back the hospital checked the date of my last anti-tet injection and I was somewhat out of date so was given one - not a booster but the full on version.

I was given a record card several years ago to record the administration of the tetanus booster every ten years!

44 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from Crabtree land. A lovely bit of Such language occurred yesterday. We haveca veryvwell spoken English couple in the village called Banks. Helene, our former mayor, referred to them as M et Mme Bonks.   Would that be fit for ISIHAC.

A fine piece of Cribtroo to start the day ;)

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I haven’t opened the curtains yet so I don’t know. if is foggy. We will be off to Chelmsford later to retrieve my car. We have no more appointments for the rest of the year.  
The only thing I recognised from the video Phil posted was the Maplin store. My recent visits to Basildon have been to the hospital. We used to go to Basildon for most of our shopping but gradually stopped going. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1