The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, polybear said:

Just watching a programme about Claridges whilst waiting for the 1pm news.  An American couple are featured (he sold his business to Hewlett Packard).  They been staying there for 40 years; they're in the Royal Suite for 16 nights - at £5.5K A NIGHT :o  They only left the Hotel twice in 16 nights.  Brekkies?  Coffee and toast.  Bear went wrong somewhere.

On second thoughts, there's not even a mention of a full english.  Or cake.

Claridges?  Keep it.  And the silly bill.

At that price I’d stay in the hotel, I’d want to get my monies worth!

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, pH said:

.  I’m sitting in the customer area of the car dealership. The car is in for a regular service. They’re one technician down today, so it’s going to take longer than it’s meant to. I could go home and come back when the dealership phones to say it’s ready. But that would mean using a bus both ways, plus having at most an hour at home. So it looks like a couple of hours of RMWeb and Angry Birds on the dealership’s wifi.

I don’t think I could have stayed at the Land Rover dealership today. They had timed drop and collect slots with  only 3 customers on the premises at once. I saw a technician come out to collect a car from the forecourt. Masked, gloved and cleaning fluids in use. If Aditi hadn’t collected me I could have come home by bus but it isn’t exactly a straightforward journey. Normally the dealer collects and returns the car but they don’t now. The Ford garage did for Aditi’s car.I suppose they all interpret the rules differently and one feels they can collect safely and the other doesn’t.  There is a nearer Land Rover dealer but I prefer not to go there!

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, pH said:

I’m sitting in the customer area of the car dealership. The car is in for a regular service. They’re one technician down today, so it’s going to take longer than it’s meant to. I could go home and come back when the dealership phones to say it’s ready. But that would mean using a bus both ways, plus having at most an hour at home. So it looks like a couple of hours of RMWeb and Angry Birds on the dealership’s wifi.

Do they not provide complementary drinks and biscuits to assist the passage of time!

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Do they not provide complementary drinks and biscuits to assist the passage of time!

There is coffee, but no biccies (or cake!).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mark Saunders said:

The ones we go to do but Covid rules change everything. The drinks and the biscuits at Land Rover are nice. Aditi said the Ford dealer offers lots of coffee but she said it is “not nice” so used to take her little flask if she had booked a while you wait. Though one while you wait turned out to be longer due to a unforeseen problem, so she phoned me to drive over and take her for a non alcoholic pub lunch. I have no idea why she preferred while you wait to a car collect and return option. It took me years to convince her. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, pH said:

I’m sitting in the customer area of the car dealership. The car is in for a regular service. They’re one technician down today, so it’s going to take longer than it’s meant to. I could go home and come back when the dealership phones to say it’s ready. But that would mean using a bus both ways, plus having at most an hour at home. So it looks like a couple of hours of RMWeb and Angry Birds on the dealership’s wifi.

I can think of many things worse than 'having' to work through the myriads of the RMweb - you are in a position where no excuse is necessary to avoid the work request of SWMBO ... RMweb heaven!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t think I could have stayed at the Land Rover dealership today. They had timed drop and collect slots with  only 3 customers on the premises at once. I saw a technician come out to collect a car from the forecourt. Masked, gloved and cleaning fluids in use. If Aditi hadn’t collected me I could have come home by bus but it isn’t exactly a straightforward journey. Normally the dealer collects and returns the car but they don’t now. The Ford garage did for Aditi’s car.I suppose they all interpret the rules differently and one feels they can collect safely and the other doesn’t.  There is a nearer Land Rover dealer but I prefer not to go there!

Our main dealer has set up a marked waiting room with divisions 

34 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Before Covid this was possible but not now - the risk is considered too great.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

... ...I cannot think of this without being reminded of the Over 80s Nudist Leapfrog Team, made famous by the writers of “Beyond Our Ken” all those years ago...

And made even more famous in Round The Horne, the sequel to Beyond our Ken (FWIW, I think that RTH is the much better and funnier programme).

I have been a long time aficionado of RTH (and had the wonderful experience of being in the audience for a RTH recording, long before I knew what a double-entendre was).

What is perhaps is a sad commentary about today’s society is that RTH would not be considered “appropriate” (aka “politically correct”) today and yet the sympathetic portrayal of the the two gay characters in the series, the out of work actors Julian and Sandy, did much to paint gay people in a positive light (and the actors portraying Julian and Sandy were themselves gay).  And this in a time where homosexuality was illegal and homophobia rife in society.

When I looked at from a certain angle, RTH was very daring and progressive indeed, but as it was not “in your face“ and aggressive, the comedy did more to influence peoples opinions than any amount of “Woke”  posturing can ever do today.

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...confusion about the Pfizer vaccine as one report is now saying that it only remains effective for 6 months ...Perhaps Flavio will be much better informed than the UK media?..

Possibly.  Without digging up my reference books (I’ve only recently come back to immunology and I am still “getting up to speed“).  Basically, I think, they are talking about two distinct parts of the immune response to a vaccine. The first part is the creation of antibodies (that don’t hang around that long) the second part is when the body produces both B-Lymphocytes and T-Lymphocytes that “remember” how to fight this pseudo-infection (which was the vaccine) and are thus primed to take on any real infection of the type the person was vaccinated against. The thing is, the production of “memory” B-lymphocytes and T-lymphocytes does take a short while (and may require a booster, which is why the Pfizer/BioNteq  vaccine is given twice within a short period of time).

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

There were people (allegedly) who stayed on the cruise ships we have been on. ... we were not “supposed” to refer to QM2 as a cruise ship. We were on an ocean liner on a voyage. 

It may be those people who hop from one cruise to another may be doing it for the same reason (I am led to understand) retired people buy huge mobile homes in the US and spend their retirement travelling from place to place. By having no fixed abode, they are, in effect, minimising their tax burden.

As to the difference between “a cruise“ and and “ocean voyage“ I suppose it is the difference between a mass produced item and bespoke, tailored, clothing. Certainly these huge (2000+ passengers) cruise ships are incredibly detrimental to the places they visit on their itinerary. As Venice and Barcelona can sadly testify. I suppose some might consider these cruises “luxurious“, although from what I’ve seen it seems to be quite a tawdry “bling“ type of luxury. And with many of these cruises, I get more than a whiff of “enforced jollity“ of the type you would find in a 1950s holiday camp. And yet, with the right ship, the right crew, the right level of accommodation and dining plus a good mixture of fellow passengers (and not too many) a cruise can be indeed a most enjoyable experience.

G’night All.

iD

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Wokeness and political correctness are the scourge of modern society.

I can’t see what is wrong about being aware of other peoples situations. I can’t see why not using insults or terminology nowadays just   because previous generations did is so wrong. I can remember as a child being embarrassed at my grandfather’s racist bigotry. I prefer living in a society where that behaviour would be frowned upon. I am not naive enough to think such views disappeared but criticising woke or PC ( which I actually think are silly descriptions) behaviour does imply a return to a less tolerant society. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 6