The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

4C this morning better than yesterday's 2C. Dry, cloudy with a few areas of blue sky. Not sunny here at the moment, though.

Yesterday's Advent Calendar.

[:scare:Scare  Warning 1...Look away now if of a sensitive disposition...]

The choccy critter was a Mouse - very tasty.

[:scare:Scare  Warning 2...it gets worse...]

The fact behind the window states: There are over 40,000 spiders world-wide. :scared:

Hope that has not spoilt your day. :mosking:

Time to get lunch.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie up to their old tricks.

Take care everyone and play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly, aka Miss D. Meaner.

I like spiders.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Arthur Itis has started banging on his drum so I think I'll  take a couple of co-codamols and take a lie down.

A posting for each pill or 4 pills?

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings and best wishes 

I have a confession i have broken my own rule of not watching the BBC but it was the Railway Children.

I cant see how the Bbc and Channel 4 can criticize Amazon for tax dodging when it turned out a lot of their so called talent were using loopholes to dodge tax on their ill gotten gains. Talent my ar$€

Started to watch Oasis at Barrowlands Ballroom on Sky Arts but it reminded me of my Uni days when i had dreams and i wasnt ill.

The best sweets to come from Sheffield are old fashioned black bullet mints. Made by a firm called Maxons they are now banned in our house due to type 2 diabetes

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8

37 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

....Am I the only one that is rather p!ssed about the incraese in advertising on RMWeb? I KNOW it's needed to maintain the site, and fully accept the ad banner on the right side of the screen, but since yesterday I'm now also BARRAGED with a FULL SCREEN ad at the top of every page, AND a pop-up ad at the bottom ...

The solution, I’ve found, is to use Firefox with an ad-blocker, most effective. I avoid Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge (aka internet explorer) and Apple Safari like the plague. I also have No-Script as an add-on (used manually, I can opt to inactivate certain things - like banner ads - on the websites I visit)

Firfox on an iPad also has minimal ads (some sites have more than others)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I mentioned the advert yesterday and didn't get a response, Ian - drives me nuts too.

Indeed, I saw your mention of it an expected a raft of commentary, surprised there hasn't been any... oh well, maybe it's just you and me that are seeing them. Makes me wonder what we did wrong or did right to be blessed with them :O :jester:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The solution, I’ve found, is to use Firefox with an ad-blocker, most effective. I avoid Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge (aka internet explorer) and Apple Safari like the plague. I also have No-Script as an add-on (used manually, I can opt to inactivate certain things - like banner ads - on the websites I visit)

Firfox on an iPad also has minimal ads (some sites have more than others)

Agree, I actually HAVE an ad blocker but in deference to @Andy Y, who knew some folks would/do use them, I was OK with the right side ads as I'd not wanted to sign up for the "no ad" (if it still exists) premium membership.

Seems that I'll simply have to turn on my ad-blocker now <sigh> certainly not MY loss, but RMWeb who don't necessarily know when "enough is enough".

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On my Amazon tablet i only get ads at the bottom of the screen so it's not too bad on my phone (Android) i get annoying little ads that cover the submit reply button.

I am more amused by the subject of the ads i get sometimes this afternoon I had a mobile train weighing system for 12 inch to the foot gauge. Natty bit of kit like but where on earth would i keep it??

Edited by simontaylor484
Autocorrect
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Something tells me that you meant 40,000 species of spiders. I seem to have close to 40,000 spiders in and around my house! :biggrin_mini:

I did not have the heart to ruin this web by cutting the grass that day (edit: it was not there the day before!):

000_0300.JPG.9781a54e0174dc0706005e3f3188b199.JPG

000_0301.JPG.74c34b9a0eaae4a3772485f33dd5bce4.JPG

And this guy is standing guard on my propane tank:

IMG_20190903_132341.jpg.59a1bdb202ee2bd93d1d803d9bbafb25.jpg

:good_mini:

I think that you were more concerned that it might eat you alive looking at the size of it:huh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Good moaning to all. Again, unfortunately it's been a busy week but could be a quieter weekend, so maybe I might get chance to catch up a bit. Trouble is ERs runs at such a pace it's difficult to catch up if you've missed a few days! 

Some chasing around this morning, I was pleasantly surprised by the length of the queue at a local Post Office - I had to wait but only for 30 seconds. Considering earlier in the week the queue stretched back about 50 yards, that was quite a good start to the day. Two parcels and three large letters to send. Then a trolley dash around Mr C's emporium. I was reminded of the Stationmaster as I saw a Tesla in the car-park on the way out. Venison was on offer and that prompted me to wonder how Phil got on with his Christmas lunch recce. (Apologies if I've missed any feedback already posted). 

I try to avoid Amazon for the usual reasons quoted above. Plus the fact the local delivery driver makes Frank Spencer look practical and competent. Yes, businesses need to make money whatever size they are but there's profitable and profiteering. Whether it was running the modelshop, bookshop or an exhibition trade stand, I always tried to give good customer service, treat people well and behave fairly. You can never please all the people all of the time but judging by the following built up for various enterprises, I can't have done too badly. Even now, closing things down and selling the stock off at cost, no changes to company policy, it's a small world and people can have long memories. Especially those ERs with access to armoured vehicles and planes! 

It was certainly chilly this morning, it sleeted a bit yesterday but the rain washed any white stuff anyway PDQ. On the trip out this am the tops had a light dusting of snow. Not exactly hardship compared with what the ERs overseas might have but it's certainly a harbinger of winter for us. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for calendars for next year? No cute kittens please, but landscapes and/or trains favoured. I've tried a few heritage railway sites, nothing's grabbed me so far. Just thought it's December and time I did some forward plan

ning. 

Calendars.  For several years, now, I have designed my own, uploading our own photos, through a couple of online websites. There is usually a choice of format and size with various options that can be added such as text, colour, background, embellishments, etc to choose from.  There seem to be quite a few to choose from.  Some offer various discounts on the given price, while others charge less per item as the number of ordered calendars increases.  Other items can also be made: greetings cards, mouse mats, canvases, posters, prints, etc, etc, etc.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Nearly forgot dinner this evening, just not feeling hungry, just as well as I could do with losing a bit of weight.

5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Venison was on offer and that prompted me to wonder how Phil got on with his Christmas lunch recce. (Apologies if I've missed any feedback already posted). 

Very well actually. I pan fried it as recommended in a bit of olive oil for 10-12 minutes turning it frequently to ensure that it was 'sealed'. I then gave it a quick blast of microwaves to make sure it was cooked through. I must have done it right because it melted in the mouth. FYI it looks like and tastes similar to beef only a bit more 'gamey'. I already have another steak in the fridge ready for Christmas day. Much preferable to turkey IMHO and no left overs to eat into new year.

• Like 12