The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit of frist and mog this morning. Looks as if its going to be a grey day but predicted to stay dry.

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It's about time that our Gov. had the b@lls large enough (or any, for that matter would be a start) to jump on Amazon and similar companies and close tax loopholes once and for all.

By coincidence the EU is taking steps to close many of these tax loopholes applying to all member states. Oh, we're no longer a member. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3

Dull damp and cold again here in North Somerset. Not heavy rain, but enough to be a nuisance. 

On the subject of Waterstones they do have a decent website and are pretty efficient with their delivery of orders, so any one wishing to switch from Amazon does not really have to go to a physical shop. 

I use them all the time for book presents, and Argos/Currys for the other non-food stuff. Most places have a minimum order value, above which delivery is free.

I would not like to think of a world where one mighty US retailer has bankrupted all of the reliable opposition by paying slave labour rates and docking pay when people need the toilet. In our local area we have a Facebook group which lists all the nearby retailers in an effort to encourage people to shop locally even during lockdown/tier 3. However, it is noticeable that few of them actually have a working web page where goods can be bought and paid for. I think the virus has brought a retail revolution whether we like it or not, and the local retailers who survive will be the ones who have adapted to use the internet 100% when their high street premises are forced to close, rather than just bleating about how much seasonal trade they have lost. Even a link to an Ebay page they have set up, would be a start. 

Sorry, whinge over.  

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Mention of Ebay makes me wonder why it never seems to be targetted about tax.  A British seller puts an item on, it's bought and paid for by a British customer and posted out via Royal Mail, yet because of the loophole of having their accounting done in Luxembourg, all the Ebay fees do not get taxed in the UK despite the big profits generated.   Rant off.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Mention of Ebay makes me wonder why it never seems to be targetted about tax.  A British seller puts an item on, it's bought and paid for by a British customer and posted out via Royal Mail, yet because of the loophole of having their accounting done in Luxembourg, all the Ebay fees do not get taxed in the UK despite the big profits generated.   Rant off.

Jamie

I think the only problem with trying to solve that question, is there would have to be some form of tax on UK yearly turnover; and I can't see any large companies taking that idea lying down. Nor many politicians either, as it would be portrayed as a tax on success. 

I do agree though, that many companies are exploiting the tax system in order to gain large sums for their 'bottom line'. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Had a message from the Marie Celeste this morning. People are making appointments then not turning up.. selfish p1llocks!

Numbers for hospitals are about the same as in previous years but some procedures have been (and still are) cancelled or postponed. I know someone who is down for an emergency gall bladder removal in Essex.. still waiting since February. 

In other news.. a walk to the butchers has seen some home cured bacon, black pudding and two proper growles for lunch.

Post office had a queue a mile long and an "older" person tried to bypass the queue.  Turns out the man at the front was older!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Get the word not in the right place
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Cold, wet from the overnight rain, but the sun is now shining. The workshop is cold enough for me to put the heater on! I'll probably turn it off later once it's warmed up later. 

Work is about to resume on the turntable control panel, I want to see why the stoppedight isn't working. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 14

16 hours ago, Barry O said:

....we had a Chinese meal in a street market in Hong Kong.. Still waiting for the rice but the chicken with lemon sauce was not quite as good as the ones we van get from the Wan Loi  near us..

I can’t speak for the quality of the food that you get from the restaurant you name, but when I was in Hong Kong I was never disappointed by the food. Furthermore when I was travelling extensively in Asia (mostly Thailand and Malaysia) I tried to eat as often as possible at the street stalls (hawker stalls).  In fact, next to one of the hotels we stayed in in downtown KL is a little hawker stall that does the world’s only guaranteed cure for jetlag (a cure based around the ingestion of fresh handmade noodles and loads of chilies and is a story for another time).

You can also eat incredibly well in Japan, and I regret I had so little time there when I did go to the country. When the world has righted itself after COVID-19 I plan on taking a well earned two or three week holiday to Japan (I will inform the taxman that it is a “fact finding business trip” for my company :D) with the aim of doing two things: eating the best food the various regions of Japan can provide and travelling on as many of the superb Japanese railways (especially their “tourist trains“) as possible.  I may even indulge in buying up some Japanese  N gauge railway modelling materials.

13 hours ago, BokStein said:

Three minutes silence, please, in memory of the dearly departed, much loved, Groan Button!

I’m sure you probably know this, but with those words you are speaking for an entire generation!

7 hours ago, chrisf said:

...It is clear that Amazon won't go away.  Their share of the retail market continues to grow...

I am not enamoured of Mr Bezos and his business philosophy, but the service that Amazon provides is usually very, very good. Quite frankly, most local businesses, at least around here, ignored the possibility to become a local competitor to Amazon by doing the positive things that Amazon does and doing them early enough so as to get in on the ground floor (such as offering a decent selection [either in stock or “we’ll get it for you“],  A user friendly website and ordering process [you’d be surprised to learn that even nowadays there are plenty of Swiss businesses whose online presence is a website where - when you click on the button for their selection - it takes you to a page that just says “we’ve got lots of good stuff in the store“ obviously they’ve kind of missed the point] and so on).

And to add insult to injury (or is it injury to insult?), a couple of times I have ordered rather expensive items from a Swiss online dealer, because I wanted to avoid import taxes and charges, only to find that when my order did arrive it came with import taxes and charges attached because the online dealer had a “partner“ (usually in German) send the order to me: which defeated the whole purpose of the exercise (and so, back to Amazon I went).

5 hours ago, polybear said:

...It's about time that our Gov. had the b@lls large enough (or any, for that matter would be a start) to jump on Amazon and similar companies and close tax loopholes once and for all...

As much as I agree with your sentiments, it would require a united and coordinated effort on the part of an awful lot of governments across the world to force these people into paying taxes appropriately by closing loopholes. I don’t see that happening, even something as disastrous as Covid has not significantly improved intergovernmental collaboration.

I would argue that the problem with these megacorporations is not just about the ease with which they can move money around to avoid being taxed, but I think it is also because there is no repercussion at the very top for illegal acts. There have been numerous reports of well-known mega-brands exploiting sweatshop labour (often involving children) and the CEOs of such companies (who, at least theoretically, are answerable for the actions of the company) do not even get a slap on the wrist. And of course, the bigger the corporation the more untouchable are the ones at the top

So, for example, as owner and CEO of my own small company [emphasis on small] I would be answerable should my security team [Lucy & Schotty] savagely assault an innocent bystander. If I had a megacorporation, I could just pass it off as “a failure of lower management“ or “inadequately trained staff“ and walk away scot-free, even if I had said “Lucy, Schotty - attack” (perhaps am I being really, really cynical here and just a bit “de trop”?).

Well, enough waffling on for me. Time to put the oven on and start on making my traditional English boiled fruitcake.

Enjoy the day!

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all. 

Bright sunny and cool Upon the Hill of Strawberries this morning. Laundry is in progress, SWMBO had threatened to ride her trike along the riverside path towards Richmond and I have declined the offer of accompanying her. 

There is stuff to be done here. I’m not altogether sure what stuff but I shall find stuff to somehow avoid doing.  

The m***l is being exhibited “virtually” this weekend thanks to my friends in Hayle MRC. Apparently this qualifies it for an attendance plaque. 

I might even get some weathering done out on the Terrace. Not bad for Decembrrrrrr. 

Best wishes to one and all. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

4C this morning better than yesterday's 2C. Dry, cloudy with a few areas of blue sky. Not sunny here at the moment, though.

Yesterday's Advent Calendar.

[:scare:Scare  Warning 1...Look away now if of a sensitive disposition...]

The choccy critter was a Mouse - very tasty.

[:scare:Scare  Warning 2...it gets worse...]

The fact behind the window states: There are over 40,000 spiders [edit: species of (see J.S.Bach below)] world-wide. :scared:

Hope that has not spoilt your day. :mosking:

Time to get lunch.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie up to their old tricks.

Take care everyone and play safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly, aka Miss D. Meaner.

Edited by southern42
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1