The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Most of the increase is amongst teenagers

Locally I am not surprised. Not because teenagers are being careless but they are going to school. Having well over 1000 people in the school is probably the greatest concentration of people in the locality. We don’t have too much else, there isn’t even a sizeable supermarket in the immediate area. Neighbours children have told me how as much as can be has been done at school restricting movement of classes and setting up one way systems but classes keep getting sent home due to someone getting a positive test. Some year groups have been sent home due to teachers being ill. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The evidence is contradictory

Absolutely. 

Furthermore one can, allegedly, prove anything with statistics. 

The Isle of Sheppey, and specifically the eastern half thereof, has statistically one of the higher rates of infection in the UK (and has had the highest on some days) which generates a case rate above 1000/100000 and is the only place in the country to top the thousand. 

In that area, geographically seeming large on a map compared with other nearby areas which produce their own statistics, there is just one quite modest town. Leysdown-on-Sea is home to barely 1300 souls. Nearby Warden adds a couple of hundred more. Isolated farms and the remote hamlet of Harty add a few tens more.  HM prison establishments probably double the total and are said to be responsible for over half the total infections. 

Today the total is just 89 cases. Yet because of the small population it shows as an astronomical rate on the “per 100k” scale. 

For this the entire county of Kent has been placed into Tier 3. They may have a case to suggest they have been hard done by when compared with some Tier 2 areas. 

Who was it said “There are lies, damned lies and statistics”?  

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Premium

Watching a bit of rugby..perhaps @grandadbob can tell me where Northampton Saints got their  hideous rugby shirts from?

@iL Dottore..yes..we had a Chinese meal in a street market in Hong Kong.. Still waiting for the rice but the chicken with lemon sauce was not quite as good as the ones we van get from the Wan Loi  near us

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

For this the entire county of Kent has been placed into Tier 3.

I have said before and it is worth saying again it is not just the number of cases that determines tiers it is how well the local NHS facilities are coping and their available capacity. I suspect the next generation of tier levels will be more locally focussed. The original control orders in places like Leicester were specific to electoral wards and even there people sometimes found that their local shop was in a different zone. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

My youngest junior school is down to 3 classes next week due to classes having to self isolate. The Nursery dept is shut due to no staff.

I have read media reports that hospitals are still quieter than this time last year

As others have said with statistics you can make them.say what you want.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Evening All

MY team took a pasting this evening so I’ll quickly move on.

Mr Bear, can John Lewis and partner gift vouchers be used as Waitrose and partners as I’m sure you could find something appropriate there.

Like Flávio, I like non authentic sweet and sour, but in my case chicken. I’ve not been able to indulge for the last couple of years due to my gluten intolerance. My local takeaways solution is not to incorporate soy sauce in my meal but I’m afraid that doesn’t give me much confidence in their ability, as even I, the worst cook in the world know that GF soy sauce is available. Anyway I had fish and chips for tea and despite it taking nearly an hour from leaving the house to arriving home  I enjoyed them. (Sydney also enjoyed the sausage I got for him)

Simon, glad the scan went ok and I too lost my driving license for a number of years but got it back last year. It’s such a shock and ball ache when suddenly the license is gone.

Baz, good luck with you encounter with the laser.

think that’s about it, so goodnight,

Robert

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I got the same last Friday, But I didn't shout about it in case I started getting begging letters.:mail:

Price of stamps these days you'd have to win the lottery to send one! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I suspect Douglas Bader would have smiled when Birmingham City Council called one of their roads Bader Walk in his honour!

From what I know of one of Bader's habits in his later post war years he'd have been more likely to fly a light aircraft along it at roof top height (oh and the aircraft would be inverted.  He was known in this part of the world in the 1960s for occasionally engaging in low level aerobatics in a borrowed light aircraft at an airfield only a few minutes flying time from the one where he crashed.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9