The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Well we seem to have escaped the snow, not so a bit further north on the Essex/Suffolk border where a couple of inches fell. Wet and windy last night and a bit grey this morning.

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Why is it we always seem to wake up when a dream gets to the best bit?  I'm still seething at waking up just as Linda Lusardi arrives with a Lemon Drizzle Cake.....

I wonder what will come up if you Google Linda Lusardi-lemon drizzle cake. :jester: Would be interesting if you Googled Linda Lusardi with some other objects just to see what it comes up with. But whatever you do do not put in nurses uniform.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

population per square acre

As I was frequently reminded in my school days there is no such thing as a “square acre”. Acre (and hectare for those playing in metricated areas) are square measures by definition. 

The point Bear makes is however valid in that larger parts of the US than the UK have low-density population which might skew nationwide statistics.  Australia is a more extreme example of the same. Cases in a couple of cities looked dreadful statistically but by total population and land mass barely troubled the world scale. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I back.

As per Bear's wimp suggestion I used the car - ice warning triggered as soon as started.  The boys were in good form, only one missing, wifely duties apparently.  Loads of cra  codswallop discussed, world corrected in its ways, bank drained slightly, and back home and light the woodburner.  Mrs H posting photos of a few inches of snow on the mountain road on her way to work on the bus, but looking at the webcams now it has mostly rained it off.  Dry down here at our towering 90 feet ASL, but getting rather dark so suggest it may not be for much longer.

Correction - it poureth down. 40mm yesterday, more to come!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The freezer arrived and has been pushed into position. It has to be switched on for 2:hours before putting food in. I can remember having to leave them to stand before turning in at one time. 
Off to pharmacy now !

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Abbi the Yeti in for her new boots this morning. Miserable conditions going over the common and just as I pulled into the garage, one of the parking sensors "failed safe", I.e. detected a non-existent obstruction and got really noisy. Better than it happening after I brought her home, I suppose!

Guess they'll be keeping it an extra couple of hours unless they,z have a spare one in stock...

John

Back home with new tyres so ready for any snow that does get down this far. Folding shovel now in boot and will bung the sleeping bag in too in the unlikely event of needing to make any long trips.

Garage also removed rust from around the edges of the rear discs while the wheels were off. Stopping now a fair bit quieter.

Sensor issue was a false alarm. Just a wet leaf stuck over one of them.  :jester:

John

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Added to that that we suffered a plague of lightbulb failures - not connected with the power failures - and no fewer than five of them decided that yesterday was time to quit. We have an almost bewildering variety of fittings for bulbs - Edison screw, small Edison screw, bayonet, small bayonet, flat clips etc. in a range of luminosities and sizes so our stocks are similarly varied. Guess which of all the types were not in stock? Hence one of today's tasks is sourcing the ones needed.

Bear is suspicious that power surges has been encountered - 5 failures in a day is highly suspicious.

Incidentally, Bear runs some items of leccy equipment (Alarm System, laptop, AV equipment and also the fridge freezer) from surge protected adapters.  When I had a smart meter fitted the guy did ask me to unplug any sensitive equipment such as computers etc.  I didn't so the fridge freezer - which being frost free has circuitry which would fall into the "sensitive" bracket.  Guess which bit of kit was snaffu'd on power being restored?  Could've been a coincidence of course.  Cost Bear a new F.F.  Fortunately buddy next door was in his place in france and a quick call confirmed I could transfer my frozen stuff into one of his two freezers for a few days (I hold a key to his place, though he never leaves cake unattended....).

The old F.F. was temperamental - it had a habit of icing up, even though it was supposedly frost free; it was also a few years old.  The new jobbie has a bigger freezer which is useful, so I wasn't overly upset.

In other news:

Bear has to decide where to transfer his vouchers for undergoing C-19 testing (for the ONS) to in the next few days (there is a 3 month time limit to transfer the vouchers to a retail outlet, though I don't need to spend them at the same time).  Favoured (i.e. most useful to Bear) options are:

Amazon

B&Q

Currys

John Lewis

Bearing in mind that vouchers are a hot topic in the news at present (Arcadia are limiting their use to 50% of purchases now they are in administration) then the last thing I want to do is plonk the "money" with a retailer who subsequently runs into trouble due to current trading conditions.  I suspect that Amazon is as safe as houses, also B&Q (I believe they've had a decent trade this year); Currys and John Lewis though?

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder what will come up if you Google Linda Lusardi-lemon drizzle cake. :jester: Would be interesting if you Googled Linda Lusardi with some other objects just to see what it comes up with. But whatever you do do not put in nurses uniform.

As to your first query Bear found this:
https://www.lovefood.com/recipes/60229/lemon-posset

- L.L's Drizzle Cake is obviously reserved for those deserving.....:yahoo:

As regards your warning, Bear didn't...honest..... :blush: :laugh:

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The new freezer has achieved its target temperature. It is very quiet so the lack of flashing light confirms this. Our trip to the pharmacy was via the Shell garage. The Fiesta was getting lower on fuel than Aditi liked (she is going to collect me from Chelmsford on Monday). Technology failed us again as the contact free pay at pump app declined out payment.  Anyway the pharmacy visit was fine. Aditi grumbled that “stand here” with footprint stickers is too complicated for some people.  Not the pharmacy’s fault, they have been good throughout the Covid outbreak. 
Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

In other news:

Bear has to decide where to transfer his vouchers for undergoing C-19 testing (for the ONS) to in the next few days (there is a 3 month time limit to transfer the vouchers to a retail outlet, though I don't need to spend them at the same time).  Favoured (i.e. most useful to Bear) options are:

Amazon

B&Q

Currys

John Lewis

Bearing in mind that vouchers are a hot topic in the news at present (Arcadia are limiting their use to 50% of purchases now they are in administration) then the last thing I want to do is plonk the "money" with a retailer who subsequently runs into trouble due to current trading conditions.  I suspect that Amazon is as safe as houses, also B&Q (I believe they've had a decent trade this year); Currys and John Lewis though?

On a point of principle I would never use Amazon.. Bozos is a tight money grabbing company destroying person who treats some of his staff very badly.. and his company makes sure that despite huge profits taxes paid are very low.. not sure what you want to buy though Poly.. wood?  B& Q, Electicals?  Currys. everything other than wood? John Lewis

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 8

12 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Watching the clip yesterday  of the republican guy in the MAGA hat in Georgia, at some republican gathering, telling the other republicans there not to vote for the republican candidates in the run-off election (which will make or break the republican majority in the house)  for some reason that escapes me but seems to have something or other to do with them not saying loudly enough that the election was rigged is the wierdest example of political persuasion I've seen lately!

Actually, it's pretty typical of the "thinking" of some representatives of the party - frankly, I and everyone I know are all for that request and hopefully it'll have the entirety of the republican voters agree and decide not so show up and vote in protest - "that'll show 'em" right :) :):jester:

Of course, they'll probably then just complain that the election is rigged as there were no votes for the republicans! Can't fix stupid :)

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

POETS - that's a definite for me then :)

Another "nothing day yesterday, quiet, slow, plodding work, then a quick trip to our favorite Mexican restaurant for a curbside pickup... luvly stuff :)

Been suffering some sinus carp the last few days so the Mrs has been plying me with hot-toddies, not sure they are improving the sinuses much but I "fell better" after a couple of them for sure :jester:

Quiet weekend planned - no surprises there...

-4 and sunny here first thing, maybe manage 4 for the high.

Tally ho.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Afternoon all.  No snow here today, although there was some just a few miles inland.  The snow level on the fells is now considerably lower than the 2000 feet yesterday.  Managed a one hour walk in the dry this morning.  It then started to rain shortly after my return, and has rained since, so an unpleasant afternoon!

Following a change of mobile provider, I had had two unsuccessful attempts on the O2 website to transfer my old number to them.  Gave up in the end and phone their Customer Services.  Sat in a queue for 30 minutes, but got it sorted then.  I left the mobile on hands free while I did some work on the layout, so the 30 minutes weren’t wasted.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

The Land Rover garage phoned earlier to tell me to ignore the text sent yesterday as checking in online doesn’t work at Chelmsford. They talked me through the Covid procedures they have in place. Sounds fine to me. Once the car is MoT tested and serviced we don’t have any more need to go out except for a walk this year. 

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The point Bear makes is however valid in that larger parts of the US than the UK have low-density population which might skew nationwide statistics.  

The evidence is contradictory.

There was an expectation that rural areas would have less spread of infection than urban areas because people are not so densely packed. This can be true.

Evidence demonstrates that opposite is often true. Some people in rural areas assumed they were safe (there were also political influences) and did not follow recommended guidelines. As a result the case rate per capita is often higher in rural counties, even if the total number of cases is less.

There are also activities in rural communities that have been the source of relatively large outbreaks not seen in the cities like meat/seafood packing plants and church-going that ignores state guidelines.

This is from an Oregon dashboard. None of the three most densely populated counties in the Portland area are in the highest per capita case shading.

147496843_ruralcovid.PNG.ea2bb2cc325ff983e641a173b940670c.PNG

I'll note that Oregon is about one quarter the national fatality rate, but it continues to rise.

In Australia, fully 63% of the population lives in just five metropolitan areas. I would characterize the population as "mostly urban" despite the large landmass. The US is probably similar.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Its only just been announced that those places currently in tier 2 but have a high number of Covid cases are being monitored and if the figures do not reduce before the 16th they will become tier 3. Basildon is high on the list and Castle Point (South Benfleet) is not far behind. Frabjoy as Baz would say, just as well I've booked a haircut for next Tuesday. Most of the increase is amongst teenagers and students so with many returning home from higher education it doesn't look good. 

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9