The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The sun of yesterday morning didn't last long in North Somerset. It had vanished by lunchtime, but I put my washing out anyway. It didn't dry a great deal as there was little wind. So, it has stayed on the line overnight and will get another chance today - which is dull and misty as per the rules for this time of year. 

I am waiting for a hard frost, because my pond is covered in duck weed. Rather than fish it all out, I thought I would wait for the surface to ice over and then lift the ice block - with duckweed frozen to it - out in one large lump and throw it on the compost heap. 

I realised the weed will come back again in the summer, but at least it gives other things a chance. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s rained overnight so the ground and garden is very wet. Now that breakfast has been consumed and I’ll head downstairs to the cellar and gather what is required to enlarge the hole I cut in the plywood yesterday. Enlarging a 306mm hole to 310mm sounds like it could be a bit tricky, but I’ve come up with a cunning plan (a phrase made famous by Baldrick). I still have the unwanted centre that was cut out, so I plan to use 4 small offcuts of wood to re-fix this to the sheet. I then simply re-cut the hole slightly bigger and hey presto, job done. So what could possibly go wrong?

After that I shall return to the cellar and rake out the last small section by the cellar door, then it’s ready for pointing. Hopefully I’ll get the pointing done today and whilst that’s drying I can continue with the paint stripping. 

Chrisf, I hope all goes as well as these things can, I’m sure it’ll be alright. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Fingers (and toes and anything else you care to mention) crossed for BoD and he gets through it. Andrew C, there is a secret cockwomble training school, I have come across a few like that. When I was working there was a meeting called for late on Friday afternoon as in your case and the cockwomble who called the meeting didn't himself turn up. But then did no one else but the building manager charged his department for the use of the room pointing out that he had to pay overtime for caretaking and security staff. Surprisingly there was no frost this morning but I'm wondering if the snow will come this far south, well it is this far south but on the other side of the country on top of the Brecon Beacons. It depends on which way the low pressure system hanging over the country moves in the next few days but at the moment its staying put and just piling in the wet and windy weather.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Just now Kay Burley asked Hancock if a Scotch egg is substantial meal - his reply ' if a Scotch egg is served as a substantial meal then it is a substantial meal' ... eh???

Politikspeak at its best.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's biggest pre - procedure concern (apart from wondering what the result may be) would be wondering if the dose has completely  finished doing it's job before setting out on the journey to the hospital.....

If you follow the instructions (or at least the ones I get) it isn’t a problem. I don’t want to explain why as it would provoke “too much information” responses. I have to travel by bus, train and underground when I go for my colonoscopy so worth reading the instructions!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

It's been raining since my earlier post, so no chance of making the hole bigger today. However, the board is now ready to re-cut, so once I get a decent dry day, I'm ready to go. 

IMG_20201202_105322.jpg.bbffee9e8047a30124fb6465f16e4adf.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My brother at the age of 21 once was Senior Project Manager West Africa (acting) for a while when everyone working on the project else was ill. He had only recently arrived in Nigeria as something like Junior Commissioning Engineer.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Today there are a couple of small domestic tasks that need attention and more cake to be eaten.  I'm feeling rather benevolent today so if any bears were in the area I might even share some with them!

Have a good one,

Bob.

So near, and yet so far.....:cry:

After a hectic morning there's a fair to high chance that Bear may well be checking the inside of eyelids shortly.  Bear woke at 3am with raging cramp in the thigh, and it took ages to subside (on-off-on-off....) and for Bear to get back to snoozeland again.  Probably shortly before the alarm went off, as is always the way.  So making a mess in the kitchen isn't high on my list this afternoon -sod it, it can wait until tomorrow.

I also received a surprise early chr*mbo pressie earlier from my buddy (and Mrs. buddy) next door, with the instruction to open it sharpish as "it won't keep".  Always a good sign :D

It turned out to be Marmite Cream Cheese - Mrs. Buddy saw it and thought of me, apparently.  So that will be tested later, and I'll report back forthwith....

5 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I see Lewis Hamilton has Covid, and George Russell has his drive for the weekend, I'd love to see him do well, but hope the Merc garage doesn't give CV to all and sundry in the team.

Shouldn't the rest of the Merc garage be self-isolating?

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, polybear said:

Shouldn't the rest of the Merc garage be self-isolating?

From the FIA website

The FIA, Formula 1 and Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team can today confirm that during mandatory pre-race PCR testing for the Sakhir Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton has tested positive for COVID-19. In accordance with COVID-19 protocols and public health authority guidelines in Bahrain he is now isolating. All contacts have been declared.

The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 will ensure no wider impact on this weekend’s event.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

very grey sky all morning then at lunchtime.. blue skies, sun.. but still freezing!

!/3 of our christmas cards have been written and posted... just a few more to do..

Baz

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 3

1 minute ago, tigerburnie said:

Just back from a walk along the beach, would have gone further but went lame, right calf for some odd reason, most inconvenient, however not much in the big scheme of thing auld age probably, still think I can do more than the mechanics will allow.

Couple of oil rig supply vessels, anchored in the bay saving on harbour charges.

BM1K2199.jpg

Are you sure they are not just waiting for the tide?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

We have just had a chat with Aditi’s brother. He was collecting his girls from school. We had a message this morning that his landline phone was dead. It seems to be a fault with the master socket. However it can’t be repaired unless the named account holder is present so that will be when his wife Emma has a day off.  She did all the paperwork for the phone when they bought that house. Perhaps couples having different surnames is too complicated for telecoms. He isn’t too bothered, they have mobiles and the broadband still works. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Hope teh day is going well for Chrisf and that the BoDs are not suffering unduly.

After a reasonable (for December) morning it has decided to rain so teh hedge remains untackled, still.  The Tesco visit yesterday revealed no puissant machinery in the car park, a busy time at the clck-'n-clect and 4 new car charging points in the car park which are free to users - I sincerely hope the cost of them isn't being added to our Tesco bill.  Mrs Stationmaster had a reasonable time shopping but was delayed checking out by a female cockwomble who apparently had been totally unable to organise her various money off etc vouchers before getting to the checkout.  Hence the train passed me 4 times indicating that Mrs Stationmaster was in the shop for just over an hour and I lost count of the number of times I walked round the car park.  SMEG for dinner last night although alas Tesco no longer stock the sausages we used to buy although the substitutes weren't too bad.

Major advance overnight was that the milkman actually delivered the milk to the porch - I'm not sure if it is Andy back on the round or if the substitute has received a suitably hard hobnail boot on his posterior.  it might also have helped that he saw me move the curtains to check up on him.  No major news today - the bin men have bin very punctual and the window cleaner has done his stuff and collected his money.  No other startling or less than startling or mundane news.

Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe.  And i hope anyone popping into a pub enjoys their 'substantial meal' along with their pint etc.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

and a grocery delivery this afternoon - amazing what counts as "exciting" these days innit!! :jester:

I don’t know how we are containing our excitement, bins today, shopping delivery and blood test tomorrow and Friday will be chaps delivering a freezer from Abingdon. I wonder if it will be the same chaps who came on Monday with the oven. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another do nothing day, mojo is missing. Did go down to Tess Coes, still no bakery in action, no bakers available. Not only does it mean no freshly baked bread but no bread pudding either. They did have a supply of their speciality breads delivered while I was there. So I collected a loaf of three cheese bread and some salami to go inside it so thats the next two lunches sorted. I hope ChrisF's procedure didn't throw up any nasty surprises.

4 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I thought the council i worked for employed the Cockwombles looks like they have infiltrated everywhere

The instance I was talking about happened in a London Borough, I had worked for them for almost 38 years. Most of the time they left me alone because I was a union rep, the same applied with a few managers who had 'come off of the tools' all of whom would not suffer fools gladly full stop. 

• Like 15

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another do nothing day, mojo is missing. Did go down to Tess Coes, still no bakery in action, no bakers available. Not only does it mean no freshly baked bread but no bread pudding either. They did have a supply of their speciality breads delivered while I was there. So I collected a loaf of three cheese bread and some salami to go inside it so thats the next two lunches sorted. I hope ChrisF's procedure didn't throw up any nasty surprises.

The instance I was talking about happened in a London Borough, I had worked for them for almost 38 years. Most of the time they left me alone because I was a union rep, the same applied with a few managers who had 'come off of the tools' all of whom would not suffer fools gladly full stop. 

Sadly the Management we had had come off the tools most had been rewarded for failure and wouldn't have lasted a week in the private sector. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9