The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Been spending this evening watching the F1 and catching up on Farcebook. The racing was quite thrilling with two major crashes where fortunately the drivers walked away from. Made quite a bit of progress on Farcebook despite it being carp. The new format has stripped out a few features that were useful, user friendly it aint. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

We got up very late this morning, so I went straight out to the workshop and continued working on the turntable control panel. The alterations I’d identified last weekend were completed and further test carried out. Thankfully these were on the whole successful, but the bridge stopped LED isn’t working, test showed it’s wired up correctly, but also revealed that instead of 5v dc, I’m getting-5v dc! Swapping the wiring round on the LED didn’t work, so I’ll have to trace the wiring to see what’s up there. I suspect that I’ll have to separate the 12, the 5 and the 3 volt circuits, as at the moment all three 0v lines are connected together. This was common in my previous employment so that there was always a common 0v reference point, having a floating 0v line could cause serious problems when trying to take accurate measurements. 

This evening it was my turn to phone my brother in Canada, as is the norm with our conversations, we didn’t change the world or anything else like that. The main topic of conversation was what DIY projects we both were up to. 

BoD, we wish you and yours all the best and hope all goes as well as it can do under the circumstances. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mike, the bread I occasionally eat (marketed as "whole grain") has 19g of total carbs (3g of sugar) per 38g slice.

The Heinz ketchup in my 'fridge has 5g of total carbs (4g of sugar) per 17g tablespoon. You'd need about 4 tablespoons of ketchup to match the total carbs of one slice of this bread.

Tony, yes, that was the intent of my comment.

But it's a gheck of a lot of sugar and calories to burn off.  The carbs aren't ve important provided you don't go mad eating too much - a slice of toasted bread a day is more than enough for me and I usually eat less than a small potato on the days I actually eat any sort of spud but doing away completely with the spuds does a have a beneficial effect on my waistline.   Something which is coming in with c.8% sugar seems rather excessive to me when it's more than 3 times the sugar content of a British (Tesco) wholemeal loaf - why do they add so much sugar I wonder?  Incidentally that same  Tesco wholemeal loaf has =17.6g of carbohydrate per 40g  slice

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2020 at 22:30, BokStein said:

(= i.e. is pronounced as)

Bicester = Bister

Leicester(shire) = Lester(sheer)

Towcester - a device for drying bread into a pleasant accompaniment to butter. (Toaster)

On 28/11/2020 at 13:29, jonny777 said:

Lancashire has some as well. One of my sons lives in Barnoldswick which the locals know as Barlick.

And yes - they residents are Barlickers.

In some places, my nearest large town - Blackburn - is pronounced ****hole.

• Like 2
  • Funny 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...Something which is coming in with c.8% sugar seems rather excessive to me when it's more than 3 times the sugar content of a British (Tesco) wholemeal loaf - why do they add so much sugar I wonder? ..

The addition of so much sugar to food is down to the flawed nutritional advice developed in the 60s/70s when fat was demonised and manufacturers started removing fat from commercially prepared food. However, removing fat from food also removes a lot of the taste, so to return some semblance of taste to commercially prepared food, manufacturers started putting in extra salt and sugar.

Interestingly, current nutritional thinking – based on high-quality modern research – pins the start of the western world’s obesity epidemic to when they started to remove fat from commercially prepared food, replacing it with extra sugar and salt. Very simply put, complex carbohydrates are fine in moderation, but the so-called empty carbohydrates (such as sugar or its evil bastard cousin high fructose corn syrup) are very much problematic. And many modern diets in the western world are far, far too high in empty carbohydrates.

If you were to eat out three times a day (say breakfast at ‘spoons, lunch at Pret and a takeaway pizza for dinner) you could be ingesting far more carbohydrates in that day than our parents ever did in a day - mostly due to the hidden carbohydrates in commercially prepared food (not for nothing do those countries with comparatively little “junk food“ and ready-made meals - such as Italy and France – have much lower levels of obesity than those countries where “junk food“ and ready-made meals are ubiquitous). And a huge proportion of those carbohydrates are in the form of high fructose corn syrup.

A number of years ago, before I started my weight loss diet (I’m now at -30 kg and counting) I watched a program on one of the British television channels about dieting.  The program interviewed a professor of nutritional medicine at (if I recall correctly) Bristol University who, to illustrate his point, had laid out a selection of different breakfasts. They included toast and marmalade, cereals, muesli and a “full English“ (minus the baked beans and fried bread). When quizzed by the professor as to what was the healthiest breakfast on the table, the presenters were surprised to find the healthiest option was the Full English. The reason being that all the other breakfasts were high in empty carbohydrates which in turn would lead to insulin spikes after eating - which is Not A Good Thing.

Accordingly emboldened by this information (and based on other research I did) I started on a low carbohydrate/high fat diet (a variation of the Atkins diet) and I have never looked back. I have lost a ton of weight (figuratively speaking) and my cholesterol numbers (HDL and LDL) have remained more than acceptable. Anecdotally, I can attest that 200 g of slow roast pork belly will keep me satiated a lot longer than 200 g of potatoes, rice or pasta (fat vs carbs).

And on that nutritional note, I bid you a great start to the week and I’m off to have breakfast (bacon and eggs, as you ask)

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, figworthy said:

Upminister.

End of the line, way past Barking.

Adrian

Mornington Crescent

Oh

Wrong thread :jester:

Well it is early. The week is under way. Good yawning all

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hoping for a good outcome for your brother Mick.

Bod - heres to a swift recovery.

Chrisf - Talking of food I wont say if it will be tasty but having spoken to the landlady of a local pub on Saturday and a visit to the brewery in Reigate yesterday for a grwoler fill, I can see il Dittores point about three meals a day that we are likely to have on Saturday so that we can visit three drinking establishments. We may look a little larger than in the past.

So the landlady is planning on doing jacket potatoes and salad but with the rule that you will have to leave as soon as you finish the meal (and apparently no time to finish your pint) she said that is going to take a while to do each meal with just her being there to serve and cook. She may also do dessert. Then its off to the brewery where they are thinking of doing two sessions of an evning with food delivered to your table towards the end. They may also do desserts. Turns out we know the Scottish bloke at the brewery from the past (thought I recognised him last time we could drink there before Lockdown2), he was the manager at a well known nearby brewery's bar in Aberdeen since it opened that we first visited a day or two after opening plus most years since.

A good bonfire last night has cleared much of next doors and our garden waste. It was quite pleasnt keeping warm by the fire finshing the growler of Pilgrim Saracen, a very nice dark brew.

Today will be spent in the shed till its time to do the weekly shop  for Mum.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, chrisf said:

I cannot think of anyone else who has won Millionaire, Mastermind and Brain of Britain. 

The only names I know are Judith Keppell (I think) who won Millionaire, and Fred Housego the London Cabbie who won Mastermind (jeez, that was forty years ago) and went on to do TV and Radio work

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The addition of so much sugar to food is down to the flawed nutritional advice developed in the 60s/70s when fat was demonised and manufacturers started removing fat from commercially prepared food. However, removing fat from food also removes a lot of the taste, so to return some semblance of taste to commercially prepared food, manufacturers started putting in extra salt and sugar.

It's about time that the Gov. made it law that all packaged food shows a standard traffic light system for nutritional information - far too many items still have a table on the back which is of little use to Man nor Bear.  Cake should be exempt though, instead being replaced with a "Who Gives A Sh1t" statement.

I see some good news for the environment is imminent, though I suspect that Farmers are none too impressed; those wishing to eat may have a harder time too, as will their wallets:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55102891

Bear will be having a slightly easier day today, to include doing the washing (fortunately a lot easier with these spinny roundy washing machine thingies - I can easily recall my mum doing the washing with a hoover twin tub, variations of which are still sold by Currys though not made by Hoover).

I also need to go into "plan mode" to determine the best preferred way of boxing in the stairs with plasterboard.

I've heard that from Jan 1st there will be a limit on how long UK residents can spend in the EU (3 months in every 6 apparently) which will no doubt impress (not) my mate's wife next door (they have a place in the south of France).  Seems she's decided that driving out there on the 20th Dec is a good idea - he's not overly pleased with the idea due to C-19, but has learnt that on some things it's easier to go with the flow (she's NEVER ever wrong - and will never EVER admit to being wrong even when he proves so.....).  As an example, I mentioned that some roofers have dumped some asbestos sheet in the alleyway which runs behind our houses; buddy's wife says it's not asbestos but actually the plinth off some kitchen units.  Well since it's covered in the remnants of cement staining I know where Bear's money lies.......

Edited by polybear
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, polybear said:

I see some good news for the environment is imminent, though I suspect that Farmers are none too impressed; those wishing to eat may have a harder time too, as will their wallets:

and an increase in air and sea miles on Imported foods, increasing the CO2 generation of this country..

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from the boring borough. Today is Monday, it is also Wednesday as I have a short week. The project mangler isn't happy that I'm down to 15 working days for the rest of the year. He told me to cancel. I told him the dates were booked before I was assigned to the project and that if they want me to cancel they'd have to get HR approval for me to carry over more than allowed. I also told him where to go and how to get there as my assigned number of hours for the project and therefore the budget was constrained by the dates already in the system. Tw@twaffle the first. 

A schitty weekend was had. Friday saw the return of an old friend. A rather painful flare up of diverticulitis with its accompanying discomfort. 6 hours of back and forth with NHS111 and it came down to take 2 paracetamol and call back in the morning. I could have saved 2 days of pain and growing infection if the stupid buqqer on the phone had just got a script for the usual antibiotics issued in the first place. Tw@twaffle the second.  It also means no beer for 7 days which makes me grumpier than usual. 

Fortunately no third place TW at the moment. I expect that to change in the coming hours. 

@BoD Take it easy, get over it and I really hope you don't end up with any of the long covid symptoms. There are mutterings that vitamin D has properties to limit the severity. Couldn't hurt to try. 

IMG_1493.JPG.88215771e56e7df452be0ee9267c493a.JPG

With regards to Ring cameras. I've posted this before but here is one of our neighbourly foxes attempting to have a butcher's in next door's skip. Strange how the LED light makes the Disco look more orange than its actual cherry red. 

That's about it from me. Take care everyone. Enjoy the day. 

Do you recognise that fox to give him a telling off ofr leaving paw prints on the car:D.

Yesterday another Ring camera discounted in the Black Friday sales, arrived and is now in place. This one is black so isnt so obvious where it is. The white one that was there, is now to be repositioned and has a new black rubber cover (apart from the lens and the microphone/ speaker).

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

and an increase in air and sea miles on Imported foods, increasing the CO2 generation of this country..

Even without this change the cost and availability of many foods in the UK is going to change radically after Jan 1. The complexities and friction introduced by border controls will make it uneconomic for many hauliers and smaller suppliers in the EU to do business with the UK. One estimate I've seen could mean freight charges could triple as demurrage and other costs get applied to cover increased expenses. One small olive oil supplier in Italy has already introduced a flat 50€ handling fee for every UK order. One thing that seems to be forgotten is even with all the agricultural land in the UK at 100% productivity, we can only feed 35m people according to DEFRA. While reduction in damage to the land is a long term good thing, in the short term it will boost the amount of imported food the UK needs. 

On a personal basis, my long standing Dutch beer supplier has stated it is no longer viable to ship to the UK after Jan 1. (total rework of their web site to calculate Dutch VAT, removal thereof, calculate UK VAT and UK duty based on each beer's strength, shipping, and export costs, EU alcohol export license, and registration with HMRC to collect the VAT on their behalf) 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 8

41 minutes ago, polybear said:

The only names I know are Judith Keppell (I think) who won Millionaire, and Fred Housego the London Cabbie who won Mastermind (jeez, that was forty years ago) and went on to do TV and Radio work

It's about time that the Gov. made it law that all packaged food shows a standard traffic light system for nutritional information - far too many items still have a table on the back which is of little use to Man nor Bear.  Cake should be exempt though, instead being replaced with a "Who Gives A Sh1t" statement.

Bear will be having a slightly easier day today, to include doing the washing (fortunately a lot easier with these spinny roundy washing machine thingies - I can easily recall my mum doing the washing with a hoover twin tub, variations of which are still sold by Currys though not made by Hoover).

I also need to go into "plan mode" to determine the best preferred way of boxing in the stairs with plasterboard.

I've heard that from Jan 1st there will be a limit on how long UK residents can spend in the EU (3 months in every 6 apparently) which will no doubt impress (not) my mate's wife next door (they have a place in the south of France).  Seems she's decided that driving out there on the 20th Dec is a good idea - he's not overly pleased with the idea due to C-19, but has learnt that on some things it's easier to go with the flow (she's NEVER ever wrong - and will never EVER admit to being wrong even when he proves so.....).  As an example, I mentioned that some roofers have dumped some asbestos sheet in the alleyway which runs behind our houses; buddy's wife says it's not asbestos but actually the plinth off some kitchen units.  Well since it's covered in the remnants of cement staining I know where Bear's money lies.......

Dear Bear I am shocked and shocked again for I would have thought that a Bear of your wisdom and insight would have known that what you have described is Standard Operating Procedure for women. Good god my good bear you have taken a severe drop in my estimation. If it wasn't for this r....y virus you would be being sent away to attend a Man Awareness Information Nurture Tutorial Educational Normallacy Additional  Notification  Compliance    Exercise or MAINTENANCE for short. As this is not possible you are suspended from cake snaffling exercises or oggling you stash of Felicity Kendal photos for one week. Go to your room at once and just think on how lucky you are that I read your posting before anyone else.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning, no walk as it is sipping down.

Supportive rays directed to the BoD's, Mick and Chris, and anyone else in need.

iD's comments about carbs and fructose are exactly what I discovered in my own research about T2 diabetes, the worrying thing is the DESMOND course as delivered to the newly diagnosed by the NHS does not seem to have read the same papers!  AKA bloody useless. I ended up arguing with the facilitators, together with another attendee who had also 'read up', they were telling us to eat spuds and pasta - nightmare.  I have mentioned Dr Jason Fung's book 'The Diabetes Code' before, anyone with T2 wanting to find out what is really going on is strongly advised to get it and absorb.  It also has a lot of references to follow up if you so wish. OK, end of rant.

BTW, 'Burgen' soya and linseed bread has 11g of carbs per slice, that's about the lowest I have been able to find.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1