The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, polybear said:

If you think you can compete with this, dear boy.....

image.png.55928a8795736e4824d158da0ee925fd.png

+

image.png.b1ab74920653dc2976e80f160e81ddbe.png

+

image.png.b68c750110eecf5c84c6f24c19bd18fa.png

Thought not..... :laugh:

I am not competing with you, just keeping one step ahead like I was when the queue formed. Sorry to disappoint you this time. You have the flowers and cake and I will stick to Suzi!

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

What they never mentioned is how the authorities intend to enforce these rules. 

For practical purposes they are unenforceable and some of the Great British Public knows that.  Some of the some will exploit that.  

Does that work both ways?  So that if I live in Tier 3 but travel to Tier 2 I must take Tier 3 conditions but if I live in Tier 2 and travel to Tier 3 I take Tier 2 conditions?  If not - which would surely be the intention - then I can hear cries of "foul" and "discrimination" in a few lobbies.  

Travelling through a higher tier whilst travelling from lower to lower but without mingling (or even stopping) has never been an issue.  So I can take the train from London (T2) to Cornwall (T1) which travels via Bristol (T3) and not have to worry about being restricted by T3 conditions.  But which conditions apply when I get to Cornwall?  Anyone travelling down is bound to say it is the local T1 rules.  Aren't they?  

Confusion and lack of clarity once again.  But how to avoid it?  

I shall avoid it by dealing with BIN night, an assortment of dirty dishes, some wet laundry which must become dry and heading off to bed at an hour suited to my employment.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Is it a particularly British trait that as soon as any rules/regulations/advice are released there seems to be a lot of “what can I get away with?” “how can I bypass these conditions?” 

• Agree 17

29 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Is it a particularly British trait that as soon as any rules/regulations/advice are released there seems to be a lot of “what can I get away with?” “how can I bypass these conditions?” 

Probably stems from the old phrase "rules are there to be broken"!

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PeterBB said:

Hang on , how come that there is a complete cake ... you must be slipping.

We're talkin' Suzi here.  There's a time and a place for lemon drizzle, and this one's being saved......

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

21 hours ago, BSW01 said:

a Vauxhall Mokka

A Vauxhall Mokka!?  Who actually thinks up names such as these?  At least my Vauxhalls had more respectable names like Wyvern, Velox or Cresta.:o All nice cars except for the unique slide up windows!

Brian.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, brianusa said:

A Vauxhall Mokka!?  Who actually thinks up names such as these?  At least my Vauxhalls had more respectable names like Wyvern, Velox or Cresta.:o All nice cars except for the unique slide up windows!

Brian.

Called so because if you drive one you are mocked. Remember Vauxhall developed the Corsa for people who know f*** all about cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

Our first car was a Vauxhall Chevette. It was our first car so we loved the ability to go to places not easily accessible by public transport from Benfleet.  In those days that included Chelmsford! However it was a horrible car, it hadn’t been properly serviced and was riddled with rust. It was a gift from Aditi’s Mum. She had said Aditi could have it when she passed her driving test and MiL  would get a new car. Unfortunately it took 5 attempts to pass so MiL had to keep her old car much longer than she intended. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jonny777 said:

Well, you say that; but on our local ITV Westcountry news this evening they made the point that anyone living in a Tier 3 area going to a Tier 2 destination must take the Tier 3 restrictions with them. This means that the chances of spreading infections from 3 to 2 are minimised. 

What they never mentioned is how the authorities intend to enforce these rules. 

No surprise, almost nothing the government has done since day one of this business has been enforceable at an individual level.

They've relied, at every turn, on the majority obeying their "advice" and quietly turned (and continue to turn) a blind eye to the F-wits who are willing to take their chances with the virus (no problem, their choice) and don't give a damn who they take with them (big problem, not their choice). 

Only enforceable prevention  of non-essential crossover between the different levels will really get this properly under control. Unfortunately, the euphoria being generated over the still largely speculative timing of a vaccination programme may lead to a trade-off of a few thousand more deaths in January and February set against Boris being branded as The Grinch.

The infection and transmission rates caused by the permitted five days of Christmas "celebrations" should work their way out of the statistics in as many weeks, but we'll only know how many excess deaths ensue after it's too late. 

I hope everybody pauses to consider that, if you want to have Granny to Xmas lunch 2021, it might be best not to invite her to Xmas lunch 2020. Fortunately, in many cases, Granny will be savvy enough not to come....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 12

The Chevette is lost on a Vauxhall, as it was intended to be a small Chevrolet not a Vauxette.  Although that sounds better than Mokka, which over here turns out to be an upscale Buick.  So much for badge engineering!;)

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, brianusa said:

The Chevette is lost on a Vauxhall, as it was intended to be a small Chevrolet not a Vauxette.  Although that sounds better than Mokka, which over here turns out to be an upscale Buick.  So much for badge engineering!;)

Brian.

The Chevette in the UK was basically the back end of an Opel Kadett with the mechanics of a Vauxhall Viva with a new front end designed to rust. 
Aditi was still sad to see it go. We sold it to someone who had access to a replacement engine.It had to be towed away as it had had a piston/conrod/crankcase event overtaking a BMW on the A127. A noble end! 
Tony

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Yeah, usually the ones in charge

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The Chevette in the UK was basically the back end of an Opel Kadett with the mechanics of a Vauxhall Viva with a new front end designed to rust. 
Aditi was still sad to see it go. We sold it to someone who had access to a replacement engine.It had to be towed away as it had had a piston/conrod/crankcase event overtaking a BMW on the A127. A noble end! 
Tony

Back then, the propensity to rust was common to all Vauxhalls. My dad had a company Shove-it, in which he did 126,000 miles up to its first MoT becoming due. It was then scrapped as the cost of parts and labour needed to get it through exceeded what the entire car would be worth afterwards!

John

• Like 14