The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I would be careful Chris about those stamps if I were you, upside down placement is considered an offence to the Queen and you could be arrested.

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... many years ago postage stamps were considered invalid if they were affixed upside down.  I wouldn't be surprised if nowadays there are plenty of folk out there who don't have the first clue about which way up is the correct way to affix them ...

2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

i thought putting a stamp on upside down was a sign to the recipient that you were unhappy with them.

There are some US designs that can be difficult to tell which way is up. Without my reading glasses, I know I affixed one of these sideways. It was delivered.

And before anyone suggests you can always tell the orientation from the writing, this is a 2020 design.

The international stamps are particularly tricky. The designs are not symmetrical either.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I didn't try the venison tonight, I really didn't have enough time so its tomorrow now. Made do with a 'ping' dinner tonight. The ankle has stopped throbbing but a brace of co-codamol just before bed should sort that out. Now to get back to sorting through Farcebook.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There are some US designs that can be difficult to tell which way is up.  ...snip...

Try the "inverted Jenny" reprint:

https://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/images/pr13_006-2.png

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Funny 12

Evening All,

Not much to report. MY team lost tonight but to a better team and previous to tonight we’d won four out of five so can’t complain. Haven’t done much bookwork recently and it’s getting close to the end of the month so better get cracking tomorrow. 
Been for walk with SWMBO, mil and Syd then had nephews round for tea.

Not had much shed time recently so may try for some but nephews here for breakfast and tea.

Goodnight

Robert

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Cox are the brand leader in sealant guns. At the price on polybears link it isnt bad if it allows a decent job without getting a brickie in. 

Although one wonders if you coukd make like an icing bag used for cake decoration out of a piece of plastic sheet 

The 'spout' is hard and long - something that is impossible to fabricate out of a plastic sheet - so easy to push into the space without mess (had to be careful with wording here) - just wish something like that had been available some years ago.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good (belated) evening!

An interesting mix of posts. However, I find myself unnervingly coming out in sympathy with my fellow seasonal traveller, ChrisF when I consider this post:

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Opinions and experiences will vary but in my corner of the world it seems to have put more people out of work, generated an increasing level of frustration, impatience, intolerance and disrespect. It has not meaningfully altered the number of people on the streets nor using public transport. 

It has produced an increase in youth loitering in groups, often drinking and / or smoking and certainly in numbers larger than the advice allows for. They are bored. They have nowhere to go. Staying home simply doesn’t cut it. And they see no reason to wear face-coverings. 

It has not diminished the “social mixing” among households in this immediate area. If anything it has increased with students freely associating with others and our Turkish neighbours having spent the weekend with friends and quite a number of young children all cheerfully running around outside. 

Please don’t get me started on today’s developments which effectively tells everyone travelling for Christmas that they have just two days, if going by rail, to travel out and a single day (27th) to all somehow return.  This has not been thought through, the logistics not considered and will very likely lead to horrendous overcrowding, frayed tempers and frustrations being taken out on staff. 

If I go any further into an area I have very strong feelings about I risk a ban on political grounds. Instead here’s a tree we saw on tonight’s walk. 

A8E80EC5-1D2A-46E0-84BC-EA480E3F31C1.jpeg.1526b8cab8d8fc072e85e5b59edf240d.jpeg

I agree, in general, with the thoughts expressed above concerning the restricted travel arrangements and the potential problems in the UK as a result. However, I have grown used to spending the period in a country which has a different take on the time of year and often runs more services on public transport  on 25th, 26th December and 1st January rather than none! (Some services are listed in the timetable as 25 December ONLY!)

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6