The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Been sorting out the necessary cooking utensils for doing the venison. I found a frying pan just the right size at the back of the cupboard but it appeared to have been put away unwashed. So out with the scouring pads etc. and a bowl of hot soapy water and believe it or not the grunge just washed off. So the scouring pads went back and I have a nice clean frying pan. Its my habit to rinse utensils after use then put them aside to be washed later. What must have happened is that once I'd rinsed the pan it appeared to be clean and I'd put it away but cooking oil left on it oxidised leaving a brown stain. I'll let you all know how I got on later.

PS I hope our lady of the awl is OK, haven't heard from her lately even though some here have been a bit naughty.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndrewC said:

...snip... The real trick is to use Red Wigglers, the Cadillac of worms.  < < I'd be really surprised if any ER got that reference.  ...snip...

Cadillac is General Motors top-of-the-line brand so I guess that Red Wigglers are the best worms to use.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

Cadillac is General Motors top-of-the-line brand so I guess that Red Wigglers are the best worms to use.

Pretty close. The actual reference is to a long lost but still bloody funny program. WKRP in Cincinnati. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Today’s plan is more removing of paint from the cellar walls, this will probably take up most of the day. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it, but it’s one of those jobs that’s got to be done and like most prep work, it’s mind numbingly boring!

....But doesn't it feel soooo snuggly wuggly nice when it's done.....:yes:

Bear spent four and a half hours squirting mortar into the holes around the upvc back door frame (all part of the kitchen refit) using one of these jobbies:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cox-SOLPOINTING-Ultrapoint-Gun/dp/B0001P0SPQ

They work really well for such jobs, so long as the mortar is decidedly soggy otherwise the gun jams up.

• Like 16

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear spent four and a half hours squirting mortar into the holes around the upvc back door frame (all part of the kitchen refit) using one of these jobbies:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cox-SOLPOINTING-Ultrapoint-Gun/dp/B0001P0SPQ

They work really well for such jobs, so long as the mortar is decidedly soggy otherwise the gun jams up.

Strewth that's expensive

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

We are now holding our breath to see if we will be in tier 1 or 2. If tier 2 then we have to order a meal with beer in a pub. Unfortunately that would mean all our good pubs will be closed. However we do have a plan. Lunch in a pub then max limit of three pints. Mid afternoon food but bung it in a container (for take home and have another day) then have three pints. Evening dinner then three pints. Just need to find places doing cheap food and decent beer. Our Spoons hasn't been good between lockdowns for good beer.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I would be careful Chris about those stamps if I were you, upside down placement is considered an offence to the Queen and you could be arrested. Ah the mosquito traps I remember them well.

I expect the rules have long since changed but many years ago postage stamps were considered invalid if they were affixed upside down.  I wouldn't be surprised if nowadays there are plenty of folk out there who don't have the first clue about which way up is the correct way to affix them to a postal item and probably spend most of their time looking for the 'send' button.. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 16

8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I expect the rules have long since changed but many years ago postage stamps were considered invalid if they were affixed upside down.  I wouldn't be surprised if nowadays there are plenty of folk out there who don't have the first clue about which way up is the correct way to affix them to a postal item and probably spend most of their time looking for the 'send' button.. 

Well if we don't hear from him we might have to send out a search party. I'd suggest the tower of London as first port of call.

I thought that was why they changed the stamps to self adhesive as the 'youfs' couldn't figure out how to get them to stick.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Popped down to Tesco this afternoon for a few bits missed yesterday and to check out the availability/quality of various ingredients. Went pretty well except for one cockwomble who not looking where he was going pushed his trolley into my foot, right on the sore spot. The throbbing has now subsided but its still sore. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Strewth that's expensive

Fortunately Bear didn't pay anything like that price for my example as it came as a part of a kit.  I did spend some time Googling the various offerings and the Cox appeared to be one of the more favoured examples - plus you can get spares easily.  Would it be worth the Amazon price?  For me, yes - it's been a real time saver and saved so much aggro it's a no-brainer; it also allows you to easily pump mortar etc. into the depths of crevices etc. which would be a real pain (and messy) to do using "normal" methods.  They are a bit of a learning curve though, as you do have to have the mix much wetter than you normally would.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Another dark morning here.

Wondering what this second lockdown has really done.

I haven't seen a large reduction in traffic on the roads (I'm a key worker so still continue to go to work) like the first time, but I guess people aren't that bothered really.

But I did manage to bag a good deal from ebay on 4 pairs of trousers and a pair of jeans.

Still haven't learnt to buy two if the product is good.  Now I'm struggling to find good jeans that aren't "skinny", "super skinny" or "like tights" ... not a fan of this current trend and wish it would give up.  But then I don't want to buy boring old plain jeans either!

Tut. So this is what life has boiled down to.  Where to buy good jeans.

For jeans try www.jdwilliams.co.uk and look out for a brand called Union Blues. A bit more expensive but well worth the extra.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7