The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I find the problem with all the dishwashers we've ever had that the thing that holds the cutlery eventually breaks at the bottom where the caterer drops the items into it from a great height. Is there such a thing as an unbreakable cutlery holder?

Also, like most people, we have two canteens of cutlery - one everyday and one for best (which doesn't go in the dishwasher).

The everyday one (stainless steel) is becoming pitted by the detergents and will have to be replaced soon.

Our everyday stainless steel cutlery came from a Sunday Times special offer for some ridiculously low price back in the late1970s. It seems to survive any dishwashing treatment. Our "best" stuff goes in the dishwasher but isn't allowed contact with other cutlery from the everyday set as we noticed slight staining on the expensive stainless steel. Our cutlery basket is removable so doesn't have to have things dropped in it but the basket in our current dishwasher does seem quite robust. I'm quite impressed that the adjustable rear plate rack has survived the "how does this go back together?" experience.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

We haven't seen a badger at this house but I'd prefer Robbie not to get into a discussion with one.

Tony

No indeed - powerful creatures, and I think Robbie would come off a bit the worse from the encounter - and a trip to the vet and subsequent worry both about your dog's health and the cost (even with insurance sometimes) is best avoided.

• RMweb Premium

Robert – in case you should be able to see them from your office:

dsc06276v1600.jpg

There are two 420 sets on the S4 line today, one with the 7th batch 429 on the northern end. Next departures will be at 1:34, 3:34, 5:34 and 7:34, if nothing gets in the way. The other set will next depart at 2:34, 4:34 and 6:34.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I did. Frankly, I've become fed up with the lecture on Wednesday morning as it has been cancelled several times by now, so I don't feel like I've gained all that much from it. Perhaps I'd better pick another course with a similar focus in winter instead.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I did. Frankly, I've become fed up with the lecture on Wednesday morning .

Matthew has no lectures at all this term. He did have exams but there seems to be nothing at all except making next year's module choices and waiting for exam results. I think he would have come home except that he has booked a series of inoculations for his trip to Vietnam. He wasn't very happy yesterday as one of the people in the same flat has had friends staying who have made a lot of mess including managing to vomit in the microwave. Matthew is going to the cinema tonight and hopes the kitchen is clean by the time he returns. He is rather looking forward to sharing with friends next year rather than those allocated by chance.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

No indeed - powerful creatures, and I think Robbie would come off a bit the worse from the encounter - and a trip to the vet and subsequent worry both about your dog's health and the cost (even with insurance sometimes) is best avoided.

I may have mentioned before my friend who thought his house was being burgled and rushed outside (without the benefit of clothing) and instead of a burglar was confronted by a badger emptying their bins. The badger ran straight at my friend who claimed he jumped out of the way clutching the part of his anatomy he was convinced the badger intended to bite.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Lunar eclipse last night remained hidden behind clouds <_< . It still is largely overcast and supposed to be raining later today. Only three more courses to go till weekend... :yes:

Cheers, guys...

Morning All,

Rain is forecast for today, and as Dominik said there was no sign of the much trumpeted lunar eclipse.

Oh well - back to the office soon. Another rather busy day of meetings is in the offing.

Have a good one everybody...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, It seems to have stopped lashing it down at the moment but I suspect it's just a lull and a ploy to get me to book a tee time. Expect more rain. Off back to the shed for another day of wiring. Two and a half boards done one and a half to do. Now heartily fed up of the smell of solder, flux and, with my lack of organisation, melted plastic!

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Other peoples' luck just has to be admired sometimes.

Some friends had their house in Kent featured in one of those Interior Design Magazines (one 'partner' is a film designer).

The person running the shoot knew someone who would want to buy it although they hadn't thought about selling.

A sale was agreed within 24 hours at gazillions more than they paid.

In the meantime, a penthouse in Marbella came on the market (the same day) and they have bought it for their eventual retirement.

They also had a house in the South of France which they intended to 'do up' and sell which sold two days later 'undone up'.

Yesterday they bought a huge house in Ireland on the coast - and have loads of money in the bank ... and a twelve month contract arrived for a film job in Malta (could be Pirates o.t.C. but not sure) for a sum that many could retire on.

Although they have made their own luck, it doesn't happen like this without some extra good fortune.

Not at all envious, says he, looking at a washing carousel which has just corroded and collapsed.

• RMweb Premium

Although they have made their own luck,

The harder you work, the luckier you get - though I've got a friend who has had similar fortune - made redundant from a high paid job on a full pension and with a massive redundancy payout (he'd worked there well over 30 years). Then he inherited a large sum, and recently got an offer on his house from somebody who had been there to carry out some work on his car. It does seem true that some people fall into the merde and come out clean and smelling sweet.

Now me - I've just had the gas and electric statement for the year end - my payments are going up by about 40%!

• RMweb Gold

Other peoples' luck just has to be admired sometimes.

Not at all envious, says he, looking at a washing carousel which has just corroded and collapsed.

Carousel? Being re-made in Wales? Are you getting the Gordon MacRae role or directing?

• RMweb Premium

These may be available at the member's open day - see elsewhere for more information.

The raffle sales have only provided enough funds for jam so far. We have to wait to see if we get as far as cheese.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The raffle sales have only provided enough funds for jam so far. We have to wait to see if we get as far as cheese.

Cheers

Dave

When they see my "Modern Rail Album" and clamour to buy or raffle it, there'll be enough for Roquefort

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Looking sunny outside, though it is cooler by a few degrees. Weather's supposed to be somewhat unsteady over the weekend, so I cannot tell whether we'll be out to anywhere. I hope I can get back to superdetailing, though, as the first set of parts has arrived :yes: .

Cheers!

Morning all. Awake at this ridiculous hour as I have to collect Jamie in Glasgow at 7.15 to drive down to Durham. Not my choice to get there so early - Jamie's mum wants to get into work by 8...

I'm out tonight with Dad at a Masonic function and am likely to fall asleep into my soup at this rate...