The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I sometimes wonder just what is or isn't going on in the world but I was rather surprised to find on another thread that several posters seem to regard as silly or nonsensical this tweet attributed by one of them to the UK PM -

DEW.jpg.e60be5b398151082579011d027898d5c.jpg

As it was plainly obvious what he was talking about why is it seemingly regarded as an unusual comment?  especially as RN trials of a UK Directed Energy Weapon j have already been talked about as starting in the next year or two.

They have been trying to get a reliable DEW for quite a while... having said that a laser range finder could be used as a DEW against some targets.. like soldiers eyes, sighting systems  etc.  Many years ago I talked to a team working on DEW technology  Big problem was.."where do we store the nuclear reactor needed for supplying electrical power"....

Baz

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, AndyB said:

Morning all,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a wormery.  Not, you understand, a tablet to rid oneself of a troublesome infestation. But a series of interlocking trays that digest kitchen scraps, producing, in turn, a steady trickle of liquid feed and worm cast. 

Not to mention a reduction in stuff going to the landfill bin.

And thinking of gardening it will soon be time to think of which varieties of Sweet Peas to grow this coming year. I have to say those from the Sweet Pea Society in Wem ast year didn't live up to their billing, lacking almost entirely in scent. 

I set up a womery for my mum a couple of years ago you just need to dilute the liquid feed as used neat will scorch plants.

Some sweet peas have lost their scent through the plant breeding process. I think it is the Spencer varieties that have kept the heady fragrances. I got some seeds for xmas last year from Matthewmans sweet peas i started them off in the cardboard tube from inside toilet rolls full of seed compost then when risk of frost gone they plant out direct in the cardboard tube with no disturbance to roots.

I assume Matthewmans do mail order iirc there was a Solihull address on there somewhere. I have no connection with them only the recipient of a gift from them

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

A bright and wet (overnight rain) start to the day, but it isn’t raining at the moment. My plans for the day are to continue removing paint from the cellar walls. Today I’m going to start on the wall next to the outer cellar door and work my way into the corner. There’s no way this will all get done today, this section of wall is about 8ft long, but I’m hoping to get about half of it done today. 

Can Bear ask:  How are you removing the paint please?

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

When I say it is low crime here, I mean as in folk don't lock their cars.....or front doors.  A car getting stolen is headline news.

It seems that drugs and violent crime are the growth industries in the IOM lately.  And where junkies are on the up, theft usually follows - after all, the little smack 'eds have an expensive hobby to fund....

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

A small flat scraper, (which I made this about 35 years ago from an old saw machine blade) a steam wallpaper stripper, a small hammer and lots and lots of elbow grease, 

I feel your pain from afar.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

NHN As a retired FIBMS your Dr Rachel Glover's excellent presentation covers everything important about (not just Covid) but the general way of working through a new virus or in fact other infections.  I would urge other RM ERs to work through it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I set up a womery for my mum a couple of years ago you just need to dilute the liquid feed as used neat will scorch plants.

Some sweet peas have lost their scent through the plant breeding process. I think it is the Spencer varieties that have kept the heady fragrances. I got some seeds for xmas last year from Matthewmans sweet peas i started them off in the cardboard tube from inside toilet rolls full of seed compost then when risk of frost gone they plant out direct in the cardboard tube with no disturbance to roots.

I assume Matthewmans do mail order iirc there was a Solihull address on there somewhere. I have no connection with them only the recipient of a gift from them

Reading around the subject they recommend a 10:1 dilution (water to juice). 

Thanks for the Sweet Pea recommendation - some nice varieties in there. The problem is  - as ever - I'd like to try more varieties than I have space for! 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Lancers!!! donkey wallopers... (or so the RTR said back in the day)..

My mate was in 5 RTR which got absorbed into IIRCthe 17th/21st Lancers. He didn't think much of the so called cavalry officers and thought that all their wives camevkut of the same mould in a factory.  He enjoyed putting the Ruperts through theirvpaces on the ranges at Lulworth.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

No echo here, but I'm definitely seeing double....

You poor deprived bear only seeing double! I got three repeats!

EDIT - Now corrected by magic or mod!

Edited by Chris116
More information.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

My mate was in 5 RTR which got absorbed into IIRCthe 17th/21st Lancers. He didn't think much of the so called cavalry officers and thought that all their wives camevkut of the same mould in a factory.  He enjoyed putting the Ruperts through theirvpaces on the ranges at Lulworth.

Jamie

If you wanted to cut a dash in a tank.. Queens Royal Irish Hussars was the Regiment to join..and they provided a lot of the Gunnery knowledge at the  Gunnery school.  But they wore a Thunderbirds hat tent hat in other parlance)

Great guys to be on your side in a fracas...

Baz

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nipped down to Tess Coes this afternoon and found a packet of the venison steaks in the reduced to clear. So I'm going to experiment, there's two steaks per pack so the first will be pan fried as recommended but the second will be diced and prepared for the slow cooker together with a few mushrooms and root vegetables. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TheQ said:

Going to the Forest in a MTB must be interesting, I guess they've fitted aircraft Propellors to the Merlins instead of marine to make it fly..

This is my MTB

ex8.jpg.f35f2838861ebf0eac9929cd68836c1f.jpg

1hp.

1 human power.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Reading through the previous posts we have been considering getting a Ring doorbell or equivalent to save habing to go down 2 flights of stairs with arthritis in the knees can other ERs reccomend of are they a waste of time

Havea look at the Screwfix website - they have various of such devices in their Black Friday sale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10