The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Our refrigerator has a setting where it can become a one star freezer. This was useful when the freezer failed. Our present freezer defaults to -18C but can be altered. It is suggested if you want to freeze a lot of fresh stuff setting it to super cold which seems to be -28C. 
Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I switched on the TV to catch the BBC news and weather at one, as published in the TV program. Instead of what I was expecting it was 'Match of the day'! As it turned out the news/weather was moved to an earlier slot. Great if you have square eyes from watching TV but I will need Dr. Who's Tardis if I wanted to watch the news. My freezer is set at -20 C. and the fridge at 2 C. and I've never had any problems. I am leaving my C*******s dinner shopping not quite until the last minute, more like the last week before the shelves are emptied by the last minute shoppers. I have decided on venison for my Christmas dinner. Looking at the vacuum packed steaks in Tesco's I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is low in every department, fats, saturates etc, a complete range of 'greens'. The recommendation is that you fry it in a pan but I prefer the grill, I then give it a 30 second blast of microwaves to make sure its cooked through. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

different foodstuffs will have different storage temperatures (which is why, from what I understand, restaurants have different fridges for different types of produce).

True of itself but food hygiene legislation (which varies between nations) usually requires that certain products are kept separate from others.  If that is impractical then there must be a "loading plan" which specifies where certain items must go and they may not go anywhere else.  For example raw meats must go below anything else and red below white if you cannot separate them physically by other means.  Many establishments will have a dairy fridge which may be closer to 4C than the general or meat fridge at more like 2C.  All must be checked frequently and a log kept of the temperatures recorded at least in the UK.  

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

don’t ask me to hazard a guess as to when they started requiring -80°C freezers for pharmacy use

The Pfizer vaccine requires -80C for storage.  OK that's going to be the new kid on the block but if pharmacies already have a -80C facility then they will be ready to receive vaccine just as soon as it is authorised and distributed.  Our local suggests we might be in their second batch which they anticipate may arrive late in January.  The first batch will be reserved for those in close-contact medical and other emergency-service roles; we come next based on age and vulnerability plus the nature of my employment.  No chickens have been counted prior to hatching in the wording of this post.  

• Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Been busy for most of the day sorting various paperwork into various piles. Most important of which were receipts for stuff that are out of date/now longer have etc.

Just started to wstch a re run of midsummer murders more well known faces to shake a stick at i csnt decide who the culprit is going to be using the famous face principle i employ when watching. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 21/11/2020 at 12:23, grandadbob said:

I've been told not to order any spirits yet as I have a birthday fast approaching so that sounds promising. :yes:

But shouldn't birthday spirits be "over and above the norm" and not instead of?

Hate to say it, but in Bear's book you've been swindled.....

Bear has finished the plasterboarding :yahoo:That's another milestone achieved.

Not sure what the plan for tomorrow is yet - possibly the filling of some walls where they join the floor, and also where Mr. Anglian fitted a double glazed back door many Lemon Drizzle Cakes ago - I've discovered that the upvc trim hides the bl00dy great holes in the wall where he'd ripped the old (1920's) door frame out. :angry:

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Gwiwer has beaten me to it about the -80c storagecof pharmaceuticals.  I had picked that up on the Trains.com website as a potential business opportunity for the railroads in delivering box car loads of vaccine in reefers that are now tracked. They would then setve as storage units in cities.  

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

There has recently bee some comments on couriers.  We have been told by 'Home Ees' that our parcel would be picked up between 0800 and 2000 hours - but that was three days ago ...  very frustrating to say the least.   

Their 'chat' was no help  whatsoever that led me to tell them that at the end of it.  Apologies rant over and now calmness reigns as I go through all the posts.

Strange as it may seem 'DeePeeDee' delivered one, at the time they said they would in the beginning, on the dot!

Edited by PeterBB
Corrected sequence
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Wonders how 21 x 20 became 21 x 21....................

Magic expanding plywood?

Oops, of course it should have read 20" x20"

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Just watching Johnny Cash from Tennessee state Penitentiary recorded in 1976 also appear ing are Roy Clark and Linda Ronstadt it's on Sky Arts btw 

Missed end of Midsummer murders due to story time duties it wasn't Suzie Quattro that dun it.

I love listening to Johnny Cash, Linda Ronstadt and Suzie Quattro. In my book Suzie would be innocent whatever she did!

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have decided on venison for my Christmas dinner. Looking at the vacuum packed steaks in Tesco's I was pleasantly surprised to see that it is low in every department, fats, saturates etc, a complete range of 'greens'. The recommendation is that you fry it in a pan but I prefer the grill, I then give it a 30 second blast of microwaves to make sure its cooked through. 

My experience of venison is that because it's so lean, it can be a difficult meat to cook well. Quite a few people suggest searing steaks/joints quickly in a frying pan and then putting it under the grill or in the oven, though it's never worked for me. (Cardboard territory). I've had the best results when cooking it in a casserole, giving it a long but slow cook with plenty of herbs and not letting the meat dry out. I like it with 'field' vegetables, usually carrots, parsnips, onions and mushrooms. 

However you cook it, the price seems to be falling, deer is no longer dear. 

(Hat, coat, gone...).

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Thanks for that @White Rabbit, thats given me an idea. I have a slow cooker and I might just give that a try. The problem is to try to not overcook it so that you end up with venison stew. I'm going to Google cooking venison steak to see if there's any other ideas. Now to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I think some of the courier services that end up with the final section being delivered by what are often private cars depend very much on the individual courier. The ones who deliver round here for Hermes seem very responsible. The couriers in vans with logos seem very reliable too. It is probably slightly less stressful delivering round here than in a big city. I wonder if the ones where it is very rural wonder how worthwhile it is driving miles for the 40p they earn per delivery. 
However our local Royal Mail posties deserve lots of praise. They really do try to make an effort to leave mail with neighbours.  They all know about the strange chap at number ## who won’t take in mail but really do like how we all act like good neighbours . 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

Venison or fillet steak:

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

My experience of venison is that because it's so lean, it can be a difficult meat to cook well. Quite a few people suggest searing steaks/joints quickly in a frying pan and then putting it under the grill or in the oven, though it's never worked for me. (Cardboard territory). I've had the best results when cooking it in a casserole, giving it a long but slow cook with plenty of herbs and not letting the meat dry out. I like it with 'field' vegetables, usually carrots, parsnips, onions and mushrooms. 

However you cook it, the price seems to be falling, deer is no longer dear. 

(Hat, coat, gone...).

Remove from freezer, grill until outside is a decent shade of cooked, by which time the middle will have thawed. Consume!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

....and Suzie Quattro. In my book Suzie would be innocent whatever she did!

No arguments from this Bear.  Bearing (ouch) in mind that Suzi won "Rear  of the Year" in 1982.  "Devil Gate Drive" is still a favourite....

She was in quite a few episodes of "Happy Days" too (incidentally, Henry Winkler was actually first choice for the male leading role in Grease, but turned it down so the part went to John Travolta instead.  Somehow I can't imagine "The Fonz" singing "You're The One That I Want"....)

14 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We have concluded that HERMES stands for Hide Everything Randomly, Miss Every Street.  

YODEL would be Your Order Damaged - Everything Lost

DPD is very simply Dodgy Parcel Delivery.

DHL is Drop It, Hide It, Lose It.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

DHL is Drop It, Hide It, Lose It.

It does depend on your driver.  DHL are quite good around here.  The worst which could be said of them is Darn - He's Late ;) 

• Like 11
  • Funny 6