The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, BokStein said:

.....At this point, I would usually quote an obituary to Common Sense. If it looks and smells OK and isn't moving, use it!

I've recently consumed a jar of marmalade with an expiry date in 2007. Heck, jams are a method of preserving food, as are cheeses, pickles and other processes such as tinning, salting and corning, for example. (Cheeses like Stilton are purchased mouldy and improve with age.)....

The “use by“ and “best buy“ dates have two very different uses. The former is a guarantee that the contents are edible and wholesome if consumed before that date (although that may be stretching a point with some of the junk food out there). The latter indicates that the contents will still be edible after the date but will not be at their very best (think stale bread or limp lettuce).

Another reason for putting a “use by“ date on perishables is that most foodstuffs are not properly stored by the consumer at home. Sometimes this is because the consumer is an idiot, but most of the time it’s because domestic fridges and freezers are totally inadequate. Most fridges and freezers don’t get cold enough to properly store food stuffs for anything more than a day or so (or month or so for the freezer). I have a fairly reasonable fridge in the kitchen, but it only goes down to 4°C - which is far too warm (professional fridges hover around 1°C or a bit less). My freezer is a bit better than average as it goes down to -25°C, but even that could be colder for long term storage (say -40°C).

Sadly, people think of food poisoning as being a little more than a “funny tummy“ for a couple of hours. Not so! My friend (the GP) told me about a case of food poisoning he treated: after eating a somewhat dodgy burger, the hapless individual came down with food poisoning which resulted in liver damage, their kidneys shutting down for a while and a number of other symptoms perhaps too gruesome to mention here. And lets not forget the very real danger of improperly tinned food: Clostridium botulinum. The toxin from this bug is the most toxic substance known to man. In fact, it has been calculated that a mere half kilo of pure botulin toxin would be enough to wipe out all animal life on Earth (it works by stopping the nerves throughout the body from communicating with each other and carrying out their functions. Although it is a reversible toxin, due to it shutting down every organ system in the body you are not going to live long enough for the natural reversibility of the toxin to be of any use to you).

On a more cheerful note: Mrs ID is off at the Holiday Hovel with the Wolfpack for the best part of the week (I am staying at home due to work), which means that the best part of today will be spent doing exactly nothing. A home-made mushroom soup awaits for lunch and the slow cooker will be delivering a turkey mole for dinner. and if I have enough energy, I might do something useful in the workshop.

enjoy your Sunday

iD

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 5

Hello from Somerset. Thick fog here. I can't see the church which is only about 100 yards away. Just had my Sunday morning fry-up. Nothing too healthy, just bacon, sausage and eggs. 

I only have two choices of sausage, Black Farmer pork ones, and Boston sausage Lincolnshire variety. The latter are ordered online and I only have them because their taste always takes me right back to the ones my mother used to buy from the butchers in the early 1960s. 

I'm still searching for the ultimate nitrite free bacon, and will have to try the M&S version now they seem to be available via Ocado. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

One of the delights of holidays near Sedbergh* is the local butcher's shop. For many years this was Steadman, who displayed an impressive array of prize certificates and also sold local Howgill Fells lamb. He retired but the business was taken over by William Peate of Barnard Castle - so much of the meat comes from the other side of the Pennines now but none the worse for that.

*Not this year, for the first time in a quarter of a century. My first holiday there was in 1972!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A little late on parade this morning, but it's Sunday and we always have a lie-in on a Sunday. Anyway, now that breakfast is but a distant memory it's time to head down to the workshop and carry on with the turntable control panel. Hopefully I'll get the control wiring finished and I can give a test run later. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
On 15/11/2020 at 11:34, jafcreasey said:

12°C

SW 21kt, gusting 46kt

Showery start to the day though drier and brighter conditions hoped for this afternoon (before the next band of rain, at least).

Still we wait for quotes for our roof repair; the second roofer to visit did however clear a lot of debris which has helped no end.  Our drive is now finished, ready for a ceremonial return of cars later today.

Mrs C and I had been due to holiday in Cornwall this week, so for a second time this year I'm having to use my annual leave during a national lockdown.  Our first wedding anniversary is Wednesday so a to visit to Wakehurst, Ardingly is planned.

For now I return to my coffee and continue to ogle over @NHY 581's Sheep Dip in December's BRM.

Stay safe.

10°C

NW 5kt, gusting 12kt

Another grey morning, though hopefully dry.  An early start was had for a COVID-19 test ahead of work-related travel tomorrow - not a pleasant experience!  A quick walk is planned for this afternoon before essential shopping, no doubt.

As expected, the week was long and slow, outdoor plans mostly curtailed due to persistent rain...  I did however manage to tidy-up the garden, squeezing-in a final mow of the lawn for this year!

Our visit to Wakehurst, Ardingly on Wednesday was better than expected with the grounds significantly large enough that the one-way system didn't feel too restrictive.  On Friday we abandoned Petworth House and Park when the heavens opened, managing only a quick drive-by of the former Singleton station to check on the extensive renovation.

Turning back to the present, all this talk of sausages means I know what to add to the shopping list...

Stay safe.

Edited by jafcreasey
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A touch of sunshine outdoors and a couple days without rain are promised by the seaweed wranglers of Exeter   I sometimes wonder if they made better forecasts when they were at Bracknell and a long way from fresh seaweed?

Nice to hear about another surviving local hardware shop - there is an excellent one in Pangbourne although they have definitely reduced their timber department over the years.  It used to be very handy with a wider range than the d-i-y sheds in the area plus free cutting.  The village also boasts an excellent butcher who we use occasionally and will be visiting just before C*******s in order to collect our necessities for the festivity(?) period including one of their excellent pork pies plus sausages and sausage meat.  On top of that the village has some rather good eateries including Ninos Italian trattoria which over the years occupied various premises in Reading before leaving there for Pangbourne, and a very good Chinese restaurant as well as a somewhat dodgy & grubby looking chippy which does top notch chips (or definitely dd in the recent past).  

I don't go much on either of the hotels for food offering (they might have changed, again - you never know?) but if you're adventurous you can venture across the toll bridge which spans the river/county line and visit The Ferryboat in Whitchurch which does some really good, slightly superior, pub food.

(N.B.  This is Whitchurch-On -Thames to use its latest name,  no doubt an addition to plain 'Whitchurch' in order to distinguish it from the various other (12 I think) places called Whitchurch in England and Wales)

Right end of travelogue/shopping guide although there is news locally of a virtual Christmas Festival to replace the real one this year.  No doubt it will be difficult for the youngsters to cuddle virtual reindeer and of course this year they should be using hand sanitiser for more than washing off bits of reindeer.  But we might see the illuminations being illuminated for their first shining of the year and it will be nice to avoid the crowds and some of the less interesting and mankier food offerings; I wonder of wozza will be virtually burning burgers to make up for really burning the things and leaving a haze of smoke from burnt burgers across the Market Place?

http://awtrestaurants.com

And in case you are missing them R4 is broadcasting a dramatisation of the James Bond stories on Saturday afternoons.  The two I've heard so far are pretty close to the original books and come without all the gimmicky nonsense which came to pervade the film versions.  Well worth a listen and they're also on digital should you happen to live elsewhere on the planet. 

http://radio.garden/listen/bbc-radio-4/CO4JBP8X

Have a good day one and all

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not wishing to reignite the security and bomb alert chat but I thought this might be of interest, and dispel some of the myths of the magical powers of the security services and UK special forces.

When we got the heads up that such an exercise was planned,  a quick recce would take place and the 'bomb' would be well hidden within the location shortly afterwards.  Once the exercise was fired up, all one had to do was go into the premises, quite legitimately and remove the packet from its hiding place and then replace it in a much more prominent position for the hapless building security to find and then anguish how it got past their systems.

Think Brighton bombing where the bomb was buried in the wall months in advance of the event.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The foot wasn't that sore last night but I didn't get to bed until nearly two this morning. I did have a pretty good nights sleep and didn't wake up until gone nine. The reason I was up late was that Farcebook has finally pulled the plug on the old system. Two features that they have removed I have found useful over the years. That is the post count and an indicator when you have read all the new posts, and the icing on the cake is they insist on putting some groups in sh!t order. User friendly it is not.

• Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

When I did my Basic Food Hygiene Certificate it was 4C for a fridge and -18C for a freezer. The rider was that the entire fridge must be at or below 4C meaning some spots would be colder but must remain at or above 1C. Due allowance must be made for “high traffic” fridges where it was necessary to open the door frequently. 

Likewise with freezers which musy not record a temperature warmer than -18C. Commercial deep-freeze premises could indeed operate at much lower temperatures but we were not required to wear gloves or coats provided that there was a door handle inside any walk-in area for emergency egress....

That’s useful to know. In my original post I was just passing on what I had been told by a butcher in Borough Market in London. I had asked him at what temperature did they keep the meat and he replied at 0.5°C to 1°C. Erroneously, I lept to the conclusion that all professional fridges were kept at that temperature. Of course, when you think about it, different foodstuffs will have different storage temperatures (which is why, from what I understand, restaurants have different fridges for different types of produce). Having said that, when I was looking to install what is now the current fridge (admittedly about 10 years ago), it was incredibly difficult to find a domestic fridge that would go as low as 4°C. Things may have changed on the domestic front.

Interestingly, -18°C is far too warm for many hospital pharmacy requirements: freezers that go down to -40°C are now commonplace and freezers that go down to -80°C are becoming more widely used (but don’t ask me to hazard a guess as to when they started requiring -80°C freezers for pharmacy use). Mind you, a -80°C freezer would certainly keep your frozen fish fingers viable for quite a few years

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, earlier than expected,

Wiring corrected tested and switched on...

We have light...we also have radio interference.. The little switched mode supplies built into the LED battens are interfering with the weak radio signal.. I will investigate screening on another occasion.

During that my back screamed enough of reaching up... So I sat and unpacked the double wrapped rod, nuts and square washers from their separate packages.. That took longer than installing the rod.

That meant drilling  two holes in the beams which took seconds with a brand new auger bit. Then feeding it through and bolting it up.  The beams were centred at 3ft apart, the metal rod is 1metre, that left just the right amount of thread sticking outside of each beam.

After that various bits of woodwork were installed or reinforced or sealed as in that door way again.

Some tidying was done , the drawers beneath the lathe bench have been filled, temporarily with screw boxes in one drawer, electrics in another, and drill bits in the third. 

I then decided to fillet the keel,  but first to clean the 1ltr mixing bucket. On scraping it with a chisel I GDB'd my left first finger or to be precise the knuckle, so now there is a 1/2 inch wide, deep cut..

It's now temporarily plastered up, it'll get something better after the long bath shortly.

After repairs to me, I returned got a fresh bucket out , gloves on , mixed a batch of bonding filler up ,  filled and filleted up the other side of the keel.

I've now returned to the house, topping up the missing red liquid with other red liquid (shiraz), and...a scotch egg.. shortly I'll inspect built in fenestra coverings, before heading for a warm soak.

In supermarkets the walk in freezers out the back are kept at -29C, those in front of store are drawn down to -29C at lowest, but they have short defrost cycles for the cooling fins, and electric cable heaters in the drain pipes  to stop them icing up. So the average temperature inside the freezer is somewhat higher.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

I bought my fridge / freezer about seven years ago and the fridge is set at 2°C and the freezer at -22°C. Seems to work well with those settings. 

Edited by Chris116
Spelling
  • Like 10