The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Bear is correct.  There is the England Coast Path around the island now and there has long been a path, though not necessarily a Right of Way, around its perimeter.  I believe one could access the pub from that path.  I don't know about having your name on the gate as I never tried that but the bus was definitely checked by the sentry for anyone not in possession of the required permit.  It may well be (or have been) the case that - as with Thorney Island - one could legally walk around just outside the fence it but not through it.  

Why would anybody want to, given the amount of unexploded ordnance that there may be there?

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Nipped down to Tess Coe's for a few bits and bobs then a bit of eyelid inspection. Mention of Foulness reminded me of this:-

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170110-why-the-broomway-is-the-most-dangerous-path-in-britain

I did have a friend now sadly passed away who back in the 70's was first officer on the Hoveringham IV, a sand and gravel dredger. The practice was to sample the sea bed and if it was deemed suitable down went the suction pipe. This was off of Foulness and it didn't take long for the security to arrive and order him off.

• Like 14

Evening,

Opticians optisced, provisions provised. Finances probed to see establish how I will pay for new spectacles. Provisions being consumed.

In other matters:

58 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Purely on health grounds, the expiry date on some ingredients is coming up soon and using out of date ingredients would be a health hazard - wouldn't it?

At this point, I would usually quote an obituary to Common Sense. If it looks and smells OK and isn't moving, use it!

I've recently consumed a jar of marmalade with an expiry date in 2007. Heck, jams are a method of preserving food, as are cheeses, pickles and other processes such as tinning, salting and corning, for example. (Cheeses like Stilton are purchased mouldy and improve with age.)

Why does bottled water have a use by date?it's already been around for millennia!

IIRC, the 'use by'' date emanated from a certain supermarket (JS?) which wanted to ensure stock rotation.

The lack of application of Common Sense against the 'use by' or 'best before' police is the cause of so much wasted but edible and safe food being dumped.

Case in point, you buy a banana or a carrot as a loose item, where's the date stamp? You are forced to use your Common Sense!

In short, @The White Rabbit, use the dates as a guide but don't be ruled by them!

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

The South West Coast Path passes through the Lulworth Ranges.  Plenty of ordnance there much of it having been propelled from the business end of tanks.  

In fairness the Range Walks are only open when the ranges are closed, are well marked and signposted ("Do Not Leave The Path" signs with a skull and crossbones plus exploding thing symbols) and the area is checked before the gates are opened.  One may normally walk through on weekends although a few each year are reserved for firing; one may also walk through daily during the summer holiday "no-firing" period approximating to the local school holidays.

A magnificent walk it is too from Kimmeridge to Lulworth or back and very taxing with some severe climbs.  You are rewarded with spectacular views on clear days however and the the knowledge that the names of Arish Mell, Bindon Hill and Worbarrow Down (which start by being Worbarrow Up) may be indelibly ingrained in your memory.  

Even better if you get a tripround in a Challenger Tank. The local Sika deer are unconcerned by vehicles. Seeing the sun coming up while motoring down the ranges in a warm Autumn day is fantastic!

The land is well cared for (as is any MoD training land in Britain..the bits the farmers took over on Salisbury Plain are now a mess...

Baz

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Saturday and a very nice "brunch" prepared and partaken of.

French toast (no idea why it's called that, cue myriad responses and google searches!!) with maple syrup, bacon, grapefruit, all washed down with orange juice and coffee :)

Nothing much planned today, though having started our latest "puzzle" last night I'm sure there'll be some time devoted to that.

Later, a Zoom dinner/drinks with our friends who deserted us for Horidrizona :O

-6 and sunny getting the newspaper in, expecting +5 for the high, light snow forecast for tomorrow.

Tally ho...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

French toast (no idea why it's called that,

I have no idea either. My Mum used to give us French Toast which was toast that was only toasted on one side. I have no idea if that bears any resemblance to other versions of French toast. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BokStein said:

At this point, I would usually quote an obituary to Common Sense. If it looks and smells OK and isn't moving, use it!

I've recently consumed a jar of marmalade with an expiry date in 2007. Heck, jams are a method of preserving food, as are cheeses, pickles and other processes such as tinning, salting and corning, for example. (Cheeses like Stilton are purchased mouldy and improve with age.)

In short, @The White Rabbit, use the dates as a guide but don't be ruled by them!

OK, my bad, I forgot to add a :jester: to the 'justification' of my decision-making process... 

But thanks for trying to distract ursine attention from my baking plans.

(:jester:

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear carried out more plasterboarding of the kitchen pipework today - fiddly bit finished, more to do.

Following a chip shop din dins :yahoo:Bear hit the Co-op (all fun around here...); among the goodies purchased were "Co-op Bakery Apple Puff Pastries" (four in a pack for a quid).  Why is this newsworthy?  Well I had one for tea and they turned out to be Mince Puff Pastries - this is actually a result since I only purchased the "Apple" ones because there weren't any Mince ones.....

Obviously a problem with the labelling during packaging - whether this could be a problem for someone with an allergy is anyone's guess; I've pinged off  an email to the Co-op to make them aware of the problem - they might just send me some vouchers for my "disappointment"....here's hoping :laugh_mini2:

Other fun included setting up yet another "Alexa" gadget - this time an Echo Flex, which plugs straight into the mains socket with no need for an adapter.  It'll be fine for use in the kitchen, for questions/alarms/timers/BBC News etc. as well as controlling the Wall Cabinet Lighting via a Smart Socket.  The sound quality isn't as good as an Echo or Echo Dot, but I knew that would be the case when I ordered it; the main thing is that it'll do what I need and won't be cluttering up the worktop unnecessarily.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Interesting program on Channel 4 this evening. Britains most Historic Towns, the subject was Portsmouth. They showed the course of the line built to take Queen Victoria to the quay were she boarded a boat to take her to Osborne House. The track was lifted many years ago but a lot of the trackbed is still extant only grassed over. Next week they're doing Plymouth hopefully we'll see some more 'forgotten' lines. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 4

43 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

... returned with a piece of 12mm ply 21” x 20”, that was near enough for me, so that was purchased along with some rust remover, White spirit a new spade handle, all for less than £18 result. This morning I cut the plywood into a 21” square ...

Absolutely incredible!

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2