The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, BoD said:

Thinking of Mal the other day put me in mind of this. Another glass to be raised tonight.

B5CE35B4-560D-4193-801B-20E9A8D3946C.jpeg.b9594760bad5554ecbc7c1085fb84e47.jpeg

6 years! Don was one of the reasons I started reading ERs, along with Olddudders and a few others. Just the way he posted...

I have a glass that I shall raise to him and to Mal; it’s been and still is a busy time so I have missed the day itself. Still , Mrs Lurker is out of self isolation and mightily relieved (as are the walls she was climbing), although another two year bubbles were turned away today; the school’s attempt to keep virus levels in the boring borough from going berserk.

take care all, the Islay needs finishing 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

That reminds me of a story from my late Dad, who was with the British Military Liaison Mission to South Africa in WW2.  As there was a lot of anti-British activity they were concerned about the security of General Smuts' HQ.  The General was confident his security was adequate, so one night Dad and another guy broke into the HQ udetected, opened the safe in Smuts' private office, planted a 'bomb' and escaped.  Following a phone call the next morning Smuts agreed to take advice on improved security.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Milder today so no frost but it is breezy.  It should be mainly dry with the chance of the odd shower.

Didn't get around to finishing off the decorations so that may get done today.  May. Possibly. :whistle:

Re supermarket subs,  Sainsbury's are pretty good on the whole although we've had the odd strange thing.  They also give a refund voucher for the difference if the price for the sub is greater.  You can also specify on individual items whether to allow or disallow subs which is quite handy if you are particular about certain things. We are so there are about a dozen things we won't have subs for.

Bit of a calamity last night in that I missed the fact that the first game of the new Rugby Premiership season was being televised and my two favourite teams were playing.  :banghead: Never mind, there are internationals on today which won't be missed.

Next up today is a walk to obtain some magazines for Her Highness,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, polybear said:

Try that today and you'll probably end up with a stream of claims for PTSD.....

Groan....:laugh_mini2:

I would've thought that seeing a lot of the children when they were young would be classed as a good thing?  Confused.....

I worked with a couple of guys that used to do a lot of work at RAF Boulmer, which uses Radar to monitor all aircraft in and around UK airspace - including Ruskie Bears (not of the fluffy variety) trying to sneak in.

They told of a story whereby a (UK Special Forces?) guy sneaked in one night and spent time placing small packages marked "bomb" in various strategic locations around the site without being detected.  In the morning he presented himself at the guardhouse and asked to see the C.O., who he then told what he'd managed to do, after which he spent all night (on the roof of a building?) asleep.  A somewhat embarrassed C.O. was quiet for a moment, but then asked which building he'd been on.

It was one with a radar dish on top....which had been on all night....

The C.O. advised the individual to go see the M.O. as a matter of priority.

RAF Boulmer radar site, yes back then, one man wandering around every 3 hours with a torch, you get a coach and horses onto the site and no one would notice.  We never had the man power to guard the place properly. You wouldn't need special forces, just someone with wire cutters  or a couple of ladders.

Boulmer had, when I wandered around with a torch between working on the equipment.

1 type 85 radar max power 60 mega watts, the R12 building with the radar actually on it, he would need a ladder or two to get on that roof, if he was up there all night he'd be seriously radiated. No one, but no one was allowed up there, even on low power at 10 mega watts..

1 type 84 Radar 5 Mega watts, there's steps up to the third level but you could step off on to the single story building and shelter behind  air ducts. The furthest from people wandering around. The man would go in the building on patrol to check the equipment, but certainly not on the roof past the radiation warning signs. As it is lying on that roof being shelter by the air ducts he'd have no problem from radiation.

2 HF 200 radars that's nodding height finders  2.5 Mega watts each, tall steel buildings, not a place to try to get a kip on.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

And the  pile of paperwork afterwards if you came back with less ammunition than you went out with!

What you describe about doing the absolute minimum does nothing to help the individual become skilled with their personal weapon.  They are not used to it and, for want of a better word for it, scared by it's presence.  

I can't remember when it finally became policy to start arming sentries on a regular basis, but it was probably in the 1980's.

I left in 88, and on radar stations we weren't armed by then, but following that I visited airfields and it certainly wasn't long before I saw SLRs being carried,  replaced by SA80s soon after..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

To be honest we did have a degree of sympathy for the guy whose fault it was as we were at the very back of the building so furthest away of where the 'bomb' was, plus we weren't really part of that division so had very little to do with the rest of the building. 

It does though highlight though just how lax people become with security particularly if they don't see it as part of there responsibility. I can recall on several occasions being able to gain access to some 'secure' sites by being able to flash a pass and give a good reason for being there where I could, certainly on one occasion made quite a difference to our royal family.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl,

5.50 hours plus 1 hour not too bad a night's sleep.

Dry overcast and quite breezy out there, and considerably warmer than yesterday morning. As I found out when summoned by Ben the hunting Collie.

There was definitely something out there he was following the trail of, and at one point he was going round the car looking under it.

I always have a book to read before sleep..I've just read another on the Roman empire, which in respect of leaders, has remarkable parallels in places, to the orange one..

This was followed last night by a book on olive green kettles from a headquarters on Academy street in Inverness..

As for site security my 12 years in the RAF, we patrolled secure sites with a pick axe handle and a torch.. and most of the time without the pick axe handle..

Getting arms out would have taken some time. Obtaining authorisation to get the keys, getting  the key to the key cupboard and signing for it, going to the key cupboard getting the keys to the armoury and signing for them.

Going to the armoury opening up, signing again of course, unlocking the weapon racks, the ammunition cupboards , sorting and issuing weapons everyone signing for everything of course...

Other than thirty rounds a year at the range, we were never actually issued with weapons except for parades..

Plans for today, first demolish the last sheet of osb into smaller panels for the ceiling, .

Then it's insulation time,  so facemasks, gloves, hat, overalls etc, the rolls of fibreglass  are 4ft wide, so will have to be unrolled outside and cut into sections... Then retreat inside before the expected rain.

Time I think to consider food, and a muggacoffee..

These "security" arrangements sound like a script for Yes, Prime Minister or Dads' Army.

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Premium

When I first joined Royal Ordnance at Barnbow in 1989 modplod carried guns..much to  the annoyance of the local constabulary...

Scared me rigid ..especially if you turned up before 6am to collect a pool car, having an SA80 or similar pointed at you for no good reason was not good...

At least they didn't go off on their own.. not like the Heckler and Koch ones used later by West Yorkshire Police...

Baz

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

My adverts on here at the moment are for printers and a "life-changing chicken" gift card...

Baz

Lucky you, mine are for Ladies under garments and frocks.:scared:

Off to READ the adverts now.:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2