The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

also sticks like sh!t to Polybear fur so that he twists himself into knots trying to lick it off.

I suspect a bear would encourage/allow some other woodland creature to lick the jam and then eat the unsuspecting ready sweetened  creature. 

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Trying to gargle with TCP for a sore throat . . . . . . 

Ahhh, the joys of gargling with Tom Cats P!ss

• Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Well what a morning, went to order a new oven, Currys site crashed(apparently due to demand for the new playstation(whatever one of those is), finally got it ordered, arrives next Tuesday, so a weekend with no grill or oven. Been sat in front of the fire toasting bagels for SWMBO lunch, took me right back to the 1950/1960's during the frequent power cuts when we made toast on the fire. Used to do jacket tatties in there too, might give that a go. Tonight's dinner will be something ending with a "ding".

Mr Bear the the BRCW is indeed of the green and small yellow bits variety, so can be weathered with some soot from an adjacent steam loco to make it look a proper job.

Did I post this before?  Or did it vanish? Anyway...

Upside-down steamed pudding/cake...from the popty ping.

Make in microwaveable pudding bowl.  Serves 4 (depending on appetite....although hippos and polybears - No...not 'polymers'! - may whooff it down in one!)

Sponge mixture proportions of:

4oz flour, 2oz butter/suet/alternative, 2oz sugar, 1 egg, drop of milk if necessary - Plus desired flavourings, spices, fruit, other according to taste.

This takes a couple of minutes in my oven (800W)

Plain, served with golden syrup and/or custard goes down a treat in our house.

Worth playing around with for best results.

Coming in from the cold feeling peckish?...a few minutes to mix, a few minutes to cook and... Dyna chi.  One popty ping pwdin/cacen.

Of course, if your are on a no-go ingredient diet, there are plenty of fat free, sugar free, gluten free, egg free... substitutes/recipes out there...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Trying to gargle with TCP for a sore throat . . . . . . 

butter, vinegar and sugar in a teaspoon downed in one - Grandmas cures worked.. if that didn't you had to try her ginger wine.. which seared your throat on the way down..  I tend to go for hot tea.. lots of it.. and a bit of ironing with the steam bit switched on....

Baz

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

butter, vinegar and sugar in a teaspoon downed in one - Grandmas cures worked.. if that didn't you had to try her ginger wine.. which seared your throat on the way down..  I tend to go for hot tea.. lots of it.. and a bit of ironing with the steam bit switched on....

Baz

Butter and sugar was always Gran’s go to for most things.

These days I prefer whisky and Crabbie’s.  
You can feel it cutting it’s way through on the way down.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Baz

That is why my Nan's ginger wine was diluted - but not before it was heated in the oven above the open fire.

Edit,  I wonder if the recipes were the same?

Edited by southern42
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

I took some scrap metal to the pharmacy from home and the fairy was there to help me unload the van. Incredible.

Several years ago my mate at work challenged a guy who was looking round the car park at work  for scrap - turns out he was a fairy.  He slung his hook pretty sharpish after that.  All the more worrying since it was the sort of place where no-one without the relevant passes should be able to get in - so much for Security.  My mate reported the incident to them - I do hope someone got a b0llocking.

Reminds me of the time back in the 90's when I reported an unattended bag in the foyer of one of the new buildings to security - two of their wombles turned up PDQ (I was observing from a distance, without them knowing).  They took a look, one gives it a kick and the other says "didn't go bang" so they picked it up and wombled off....

Speechless.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Nyday Fright.  You're welcome.  

Greetings from Lesser Snottington where matters nasal are slowly drying up assisted by a rather good pizza from M&S tonight and several Friday Drinks.  

Pizza was delivered by Ocado along with most of the order but we seem to be this week's victims of randomness.  Orange marmalade wasn't substituted - it was listed as "No substitute available".  What?  No marmalade at all?  A warehouse half the size of Kent cannot manage one humble jar ...... they are usually OK at subbing something but not tonight.  Fair enough perhaps that a couple of more niche products were also "No substitute available" because it would be hard to substitute anything similar.  "Deep-fried shallots" were replaced with "Dried onions" which is nothing like the same product and was rejected.  

Then there was the "Whole chicken".  A plain ordinary bog-standard roasting chicken.  No.  Apparently not a single chicken in the place despite the website suggesting they had plenty of stock across numerous brands and sizes as was the case with marmalade.  Instead we got "BBQ Chicken Portions" pre-cooked and in a brown sauce of some kind.  Not good enough.  

Further randomness was discovered.  One bar of chocolate - which had been cancelled from the order on Tuesday - manifested itself as two bars.  One bag of taco chips also cancelled on Tuesday appeared as two bags.  Potatoes, parsnips and carrots all cancelled on Tuesday all arrived.  Of the lamb chops added to the order on Wednesday there was no sign.  

The receipt showed the order I had expected to receive.  It only partially resembled what I got.  As most, at least, of the excess items can be used eventually I calculated the cost of what I received versus what I paid.  I am ahead given the duplicates.  Their mistake = their loss in my book.  Ocado have normally been really good but every now and then we get a completely random interpretation of the order.  Today was one such occasion.  Previously they substituted a whole cauliflower with a jar of pickled cauliflower.  If I didn't know everything at Ocado was machine-picked I might suggest they re-train their work-experience person.  

Ah well.  It's time.  Have a good weekend.  Wake me up for Moanday if not before ;)  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I made a bag up for exactly that purpose and fitted it with a shotgun blank cartridge firing device.

You would not be surprised to know that when it went off, most people immediately dropped the bag started running.

Something similar happened to me back in the early nineties when there was an emergency evacuation from a building I was working in due to a suspicious bag. This was when they had all those bombs going off. Least ways that was what was supposed to have happened- only it didn't exactly go to plan. Everybody else was informed but for some reason I and the rest of team I was with got overlooked. It wasn't until they did some checking that they realised they were coming up short and set someone in to check that we were found. By this time they had closed the road at the front and this was a busy crossroads at the height of rush hour in London so you can imagine the chaos. Anyway the really hilarious thing was that the bag turned out to be my boss's who had gone home early but even better the bomb squad blew it up. Funny enough after this they became a lot more serious about evacuation drills I wonder why.:laugh_mini:

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

Evening All,

Another day and another walk with Syd and Mil. Can life get any more exciting?

At least it’s the weekend and footballs back. MY team are playing Notts Forrest, always a grudge match, miners strike, scabs and the like. Mum doesn’t like the atmosphere so probably glad she can’t go. Me, I like it!

Goodnight

Robert

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. When I was working we once had a bomb scare. A suspicious package had been found in a lift. While we waited outside it was found that some staff members were unaccounted for. The bomb squad turned up and checked it out, it turned out that it was someones shopping but as staff members couldn't be accounted for we couldn't return to the building until it had been searched for those missing. They had just finished checking the building which took a couple of hours when those that were missing strolled up having spent the time in the pub. Everyone was furious as the time we spent waiting outside encompassed most lunch hours as well as the time wasted. To say that the CEO was furious would be an understatement. They were 'invited' to the CEO's office the following morning and I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. Not long after most of the miscreants had left.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1