The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So there we go - the GD has become a statistic

My cousin’s husband was asked a while ago to have the antibody test as part of a random check . He tested positive. His daughter and partner, both paramedics also tested positive for antibodies. The only symptoms they had were loss of and smell. This was so long ago that it was before the loss of taste and smell were recognised symptoms. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

We were both convinced we had it back in February as we had a spell of feeling really quite unwell indeed. I was tested as routine as part of my diabetes care, and Debs as she works for the DHSC here, and we were both negative.  We have the flu jab anyway (see above!) but it was obviously something else.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hello yet again from Estuary-Land. It's official, the local Royal mail sorting office has had to close due to a positive case of Covid 19. All sorts of rumours were flying about but whatever it was there has been no post since last Friday. So I was very surprised when the postman knocked this morning with a parcel.  As it turns out parcels and packages are dealt with in a separate section and is not affected. Slightly annoying as there is a society journal on its way to me that was due last Saturday, other members have received theirs but its a bit galling not being able to join in discussions re. the journal. Hopefully it will only be a few more days as now its a case of finding extra staff to cover for those in quarantine.

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

NCT61315 - your video was very interesting.  Not many cars and the odd motorcycle. What did come across was the number of bicycles and the huge number of people walking and in particular just crossing anywhere and many without any sign of looking before they ventured out or just going anyway.  Also the odd car taking off and doing what we now call cutting up the already moving traffic i.e. the tram.  The overall impression however was of serene peace in Leipzig.

A case of the calm before the storm if there ever was one. I haven't seen it all but I was wondering if anything still exists of what we saw in the film.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,  

Pre adjustment figures taken on this temperature  meter.. Now adjusting..

The news is that in the new year we will be getting a new ceiling in the area outside the lab.. Which due to asbestos, means my entrance to the lab will be the fire door for a couple of weeks..

Two of the three warned about redundancy  have taken the bait of money and are leaving. This means we won't be getting the most qualified guy in-house to take over as deputy head of lab again. So the external candidate has got it , if permission is granted by higher authorities to recruit in the new year... He has passed all interviews.. The earliest he could arrive is February, he then will have an enormous learning curve....

The Visit By UKAS is now virtual, which means less work in that they might not pick up anything they see next week. More work for the boss that he be having virtual meetings and emailing the facts and figures as they request.. Not surprisingly he's taken the week off afterwards for a rest..

In an hour and 15 minutes I head to Tes and Co or Ben will be unhappy at having no dinner and SWMBO at having no milk for her tea..

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

being volunteered by her indoors means a trip to Bradford for swabbing, blood letting (for various tests including an anti body test ) etc next Friday.. BUT they are going to let us know what the results are..

Blue skies here but is reet parky this afternoon...

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I'm just not cut out to be a babysitter. These are all supposed adults with Uni degrees, and yet sometimes it feels like a f*cking creche. There'll be a few surprised people next week when they find out they failed to reach certain required goals because they couldn't be arsed to complete a couple of online forms that I'd been pestering them to get done.

Ahhh, those magic words "degree"....

What confuses Bear is that the place only feels like a creche some of the time?  Now that is unusual.

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

A businessman and his colleagues want to make a marina and 500 houses here by reclaiming the beach (with concrete) and dredging.  This is public land, in constant use, and a marine biological conservation zone.  Why, oh why are our Government not just saying no, before these greedy b7653rd$ even have the thoughts to ruin our bay?  Jeez.

Far be it from me to suggest that money may have something to do with it.  Perish the thought

• Agree 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I've watched Dom's film all the way through now, very interesting and I've partly answered my own question is anything still there, well the railway station is. I Googled it and found the outward appearance has changed little from Dom's film. I seem to recall that it appeared in a documentary about railway architecture a few months ago (or did it and it was a similar building?). Time to put the kettle on, be back later.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I commented last week that packages and parcels were arriving quickly but anything in an envelope was somewhat delayed. From what Phil and our very nice postman have said I think we can expect delays. Our local post hasn’t always come every day but it is getting through. 
There are lots of encouraging comments about Covid rates and it will be all ok for Christmas but looking at the graphs and numbers here does not produce the same optimism. Cases locally were very low in numbers and could conceivably have been one or two unfortunate family groups but it is a bit more than that now. I suppose these are cases from infections just before the current lockdown started. Before the current lockdown I thought Benfleet looked (only going out for clinics or walks down our road though) almost normally busy. When we went to the pharmacy and heart clinic  this week there were very few pedestrians and light traffic. So it has made a difference.  We will see what happens to the local cases. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I know how you feel NHN. 

When i worked in transport we once had a delivery for a major retailer at magna park near Lutterworth. Unfortunately the driver was caught up behind an accident on the motorway it was a serious accident and involved air ambulance landing on the carriageway. The driver was stuck we rang our customer who was understanding they rang their customer who virtually wanted the driver to drive through the accident to get to them or down the hard shoulder and tell the police he had a delivery for X.

It was unreal the fall out went on for a while too it involved sending data from the drivers tacho data. 

Other deliveries that were problematic came through the pallet network and involved inserts for magazines they were always chasing them as they were sent just in time a lot of effort was involved for something that was more often then not thrown away

I have been in a similar situation at work numerous times when the director tells me thats no excuse and make sure it gets delivered on time and keep ringing them till they do deliver it. glad that I am not working for someone anymore,  apart from my other half but she buys American locos (both N and HO scale) so I can live with that:D

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have had one negative comment on flea bay about the delivery time.. luckily the tracker showed where it was held up.. the person receiving it wasn't in....for 2 delivery attempts....

Been sunny all day.. but not warm at all. Got some muddling done ..adding numbers to steam kettles not a favourite task..but it has to be done.

My home made pease pudding was enjoyed in a sandwich for lunch ( with a bit of cooked meat (cold).

Next up chish and fips....

Baz

Unfortunately the person not being in is often incorrect, I've sat here and seen vans drive past without stopping to deliver. Or just not turn up while I've been here waiting..

• Agree 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

He did admit that he had been away (In Lockdown!) but thought they delivery should have been left with a neighbour.... strange he has stopped buying from Ebay it would appear..

but yes they do sometimes not deliver....

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Bear is wondering if a couple of gammon steaks (still vacuum sealed) in the freezer are ok to eat.  They're dated April 2016....

:dontknow:

Probably should be, I just had some frozen ground beast from 2017; other than color, there were no problems. It even tasted fine and cooked up properly.

• Like 13

Popping in quickly to say "hello" I have noticed much discussion on colonoscopy procedures, though I haven't read everything thoroughly.

I wonder if these are done with different levels of medication in the US? Here Propofol* is administered. It is technically called "conscious sedation" but as the patient I can relate that there is no awareness or pain and the recovery is much faster than a general antiesthetic. It feels like falling into a deep sleep from the moment the Propofol hits the IV line.

* It is the same medication that a quack was administering to Michael Jackson in his last days to help him sleep!! I recall a pædiatric nurse calling it "Milk of Amnesia" during a procedure for my son. That pun probably means nothing to Brits, since it is a play on "Milk of Magnesia" which is a laxative. (Unless that product is available in the UK.) It is the same milky colour.

The procedure is done in out-patient clinics and patients return home shortly after the procedure. The clinic I have used is very insistent that you have someone to take you home, and also insists that you have that person wait for you in their waiting room. Driving yourself home is strictly prohibited.

Some years ago during a upper and lower GI scope I started to gag as they inserted a bite appliance and started guiding the endoscope tube though the ring in the bite appliance. The attendants quickly noted my distress and I was out the instant I felt the Propofol. I made sure they did this in reverse order the next time.

As others have said, the worst part of colonoscopies is the preparation.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* It is the same medication that a quack was administering to Michael Jackson in his last days to help him sleep!! I recall a pædiatric nurse calling it "Milk of Amnesia" during a procedure for my son. That pun probably means nothing to Brits, since it is a play on "Milk of Magnesia" which is a laxative. (Unless that product is available in the UK.) It is the same milky colour.

Yes, definitely available in the UK too (though I've never had cause to try it)

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1