The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Back from the hospital, Beth has been diagnosed with sleep apnea which may explain some other problems. We are now waiting for an 'Aspirateur' to ring to arrange to deliverva CPAP machine.  

Jamie

Sorry to hear that Jamie and I hope it won't be a problem for her - will she be ok for cycling?.  A pal of mine has been a long term sufferer and it comes with some interesting restrictions on various activities.  So he is not allowed to drive a car (obvious really) but he is allowed to pilot an aircraft or helicopter for non-commercial flying but (equally obvious) he has to have a qualified pilot flying with him).

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Back from the hospital, Beth has been diagnosed with sleep apnea which may explain some other problems. We are now waiting for an 'Aspirateur' to ring to arrange to deliverva CPAP machine.  

Chris, pleasecdon't delay your investigations, as bear has said the wcrote can wait. Somevpoor sod soent an extra 7 months in Armley Gaol in 1980 waiting for our firstborn to appear, and for Beth to be able to attend court as a witness. No sympathy for his plight was extended from our household.  As wecused to say, they are all volunteers.

Jamie

Sorry to hear about Beth but, on the positive side, you now know what you are dealing with.

Rant? 'are all volunteers' - one of the concerns I have in this context is why firms are found guilty on H&S grounds when one of these 'volunteers' falls through a factory/warehouse roof and is seriously injured.  H&S is also a personal responsibility and the 'volunteer' has decided that the 'risk' is worth taking in spite of the fact that factory/warehouse roofs are known to be 'weak' and that special equipment needs to be used when 'working' on the roof.  To me the 'volunteer'  deserves everything that he/she gets.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction
  • Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Phil's post has just reminded me that our sleep was disturbed last night.  India99 was circling the neighbourhood for about 25 minutes at 2.35am and spent a good 10 minutes hovering over the next road.  It is loud! 

My only visit to court was on a jury at the Old Bailey in the 80s where we had the great pleasure of finding someone guilty of sex offences against a 9 year old girl.  He got 3 years but should have got a lot more in my opinion.  He was a family friend of theirs giving swimming lessons at their home (well to do family).  I won't go into full  details and the evidence wasn't entirely conclusive until he got into the box and claimed that it was quite normal for adult males to get aroused by little girls.  That went down well with all the fathers on the jury - there were six of us and six mothers.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 10

• RMweb Premium

Two mugs of coffee have been enjoyed.

Like @The Stationmaster I find justice to be more in favour of the wrong doers than it should be. I can see the point of having early release for good behaviour but think it should be a maximum of 25% of the sentence rather than the current 50%.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

just started to rain.. but no problemo as I have been to the post office and butchers.. but.. catastrophe! No Black Puddding!!!

I ordered some beer last night - delivered by a man in a van at 9:45 this morning - direct from the brewery.. I would never support the  money grabbing Bezos unless I really, really have no choice...which is his management process...

Growlers for lunch - or it could be a minted lamb pie.. will it be as good as the ones from Fat Barstewards (FB) in Invercargill I wonder?  Fat barsteward pies - now they are lovely.. I tired one of every type .. well someone had to!

Baz

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all. 
It is a pleasant sunny afternoon here. We had a trip to another world this morning, along the A13 to Leigh on Sea but not the “on sea” bit. This was for an appointment at the heart failure clinic. I got my measurements recorded and my medication modified. Aditi was pleased to get a parking space, so didn’t need to drive round the area looking for one. 
We had intended  to fill up at the Shell garage with petrol on the way home but it was temporarily closed as the power lines in that area were being replaced. Aditi wanted to try that one as you don’t have to go in to pay. 
Have a good day. 
Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Growlers for lunch - or it could be a minted lamb pie.. will it be as good as the ones from Fat Barstewards (FB) in Invercargill I wonder?  Fat barsteward pies - now they are lovely.. I tired one of every type .. well someone had to!

Baz

...And I see that they are soon to offer a home delivery option.....

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Sorry, but mucho skipping has taken place for various reasons, and I really do hope that I've not missed anything too significant. 

Much of nothing too significant has happened here - but enough distraction to keep me off RMWeb for a couple of days.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Afternoon all. 
It is a pleasant sunny afternoon here. We had a trip to another world this morning, along the A13 to Leigh on Sea but not the “on sea” bit. This was for an appointment at the heart failure clinic. I got my measurements recorded and my medication modified. Aditi was pleased to get a parking space, so didn’t need to drive round the area looking for one. 
We had intended  to fill up at the Shell garage with petrol on the way home but it was temporarily closed as the power lines in that area were being replaced. Aditi wanted to try that one as you don’t have to go in to pay. 
Have a good day. 
Tony

There used to be a Jet garage at The Elms which had reasonably priced fuel.

Though sometime in the last 40 years someone seems to have built an office block there.  

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Don’t agree with time off for good behaviour inside, I think they should have time added on if they misbehave!

That is an even better idea! Sadly the do goodders would hate that method of working.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry to hear that Jamie and I hope it won't be a problem for her - will she be ok for cycling?.  A pal of mine has been a long term sufferer and it comes with some interesting restrictions on various activities.  So he is not allowed to drive a car (obvious really) but he is allowed to pilot an aircraft or helicopter for non-commercial flying but (equally obvious) he has to have a qualified pilot flying with him).

Always  sorry to hear of another ER or those close to them being diagnosed with something which may affect them in the long-term one way or another so best wishes to Beth.  

Sleep Apnoea comes in all shades of grey and is usually diagnosed via a sleep study.  Those are done overnight at home now - no longer a visit to the sleep lab and spending the night trying to nod off whilst wired up left right and centre and relying on a bottle for any nocturnal requirements.  It's a clip-on-the-finger device now.  So much easier.  

The results plus a self-assessment answering a few questions which relate to your own (hopefully honest) likelihood of dozing in certain situations such as actively driving, waiting at traffic lights, reading, watching TV ....   These combined give a score which determines whether or not you may continue to drive (different scores for different classes of licence in some cases) and otherwise continue as normal.  CPAP is also a lot less cumbersome than it once was, is readily portable and can be taken on holidays unobtrusively including as additional cabin baggage (medical requirement) when flying, and the machines now only emit a slight sound which seldom troubles the user.  In many cases the initial assessment will not prevent one from driving at least in the UK and Australia although it may be a requirement to notify the licensing authority.  A review after a few months to check all is working as it should and the patient is benefitting from the CPAP machine will confirm things.  

In the UK one would need a high "Epworth" score before being banned from driving on medical grounds.  Any history of falling asleep at the wheel, accidents caused with this being a factor or narcolepsy may well get you an enforced ride in the passenger seat.  Use of CPAP when medically prescribed will not, of itself, prevent one from being able to drive cars (but may well prevent you driving trains or passenger-carrying vehicles on the road) and may improve the overall safety aspect of driving by assisting with better quality sleep. 

SWMBO has been a user for some time.  

• Informative/Useful 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

...And I see that they are soon to offer a home delivery option.....

But only in south island..

Shame as they are very niice pies. They also sell cakes at the shop.

Chuckinitdarn here now...

Baz

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good Afternoon all

I too have a sleep apnoea i had a dreadfully high epworth sleep score to start with. I lost the C1 part of my driving licence and hav a licence reviewed every year. The second time i had my epworth score done it had reduced drastically the Nurse wondered wether my type 2 diabetes which was undiagnosed at the time has anything to do with it. I have a cpap machine. It does take some getting used to its like trying to sleep with your head out of car window

Mine records on to Sd card

• Friendly/supportive 17

Further to above post the machine isnt massive its about the size of a clock radio. I have to exchange the sd card and send to the hospital when they send a new card out. I also keep a diary of when i dont use it which is such as toothache, or when the weather is hot i do find it dries my mouth out

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Well on the positive side, the morning's deluge has ceased, but the wind is now getting to serious levels.  Still, it may blow the remaining leaves away if they dry.

I worked with a person who became a friend who used a CPAP machine, it transformed his life as he was always late for work due to lack of sleep all night then falling asleep just before he was due to get up.  It gave him routine back, which as he was a probation officer, he needed.  The young people he dealt with never gave him any cheek, he's huge.  Known as Hagrid, as that is who he resembles, he now teaches at a school not very far at all from Q.  One thing is for sure, he was a damn good juvenile probation officer, and is a damn good teacher.  I don't see many of his old 'clients' in the Court outcomes.  Interesting chap, actually an archaeologist by profession originally!  Old weapons were and are his thing....he has a long bow that we couldn't even pull, it was fearsome.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, jonny777 said:

I took advantage of their £248 offer (£6 for a 25kg bag is a bargain) and it was delivered at lunchtime. Sadly, the side path was not wide enough for the pallet so the driver left it as close to the path as he could.  The wife and I have spent the last 2 hours wheelbarrowing 40 bags around the back and stacking it up. 

I think what you get is pot luck, as we had bags of some kind of anthracite substitute all labelled in French. I will mix it with some house coal and well dried chopped tree branches and see how I get on. 

It saves paying £12-£14 a bag from the petrol station. 

The verdict so far is good. With a decent draught through the fire and a policy of little and often, it burns well and produces little smoke.  I'm well chuffed. 

All I need to do is fix a few gauges on the wall, and a regulator and some injectors - and I can stand there imagining I am climbing Stoke bank with 13 on. 

(What's that darling? Has lockdown affected my mental capacity? No, no.. not at all dear)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

if he's given x numbrer of years then that is what he should serve.

Totally agree.

It does seem there is a simple solution though to me (simple minded I know), why not sentence a scrote to y years, where x is the time ACTUALLY to be served after a y years sentence is imposed.

Simple arithmetic, x (time we want the scrote in jail) = y - z<time off for arguably good behavior>.  Should allow them to actually serve the required amount, surely??

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Further to above post the machine isnt massive its about the size of a clock radio. I have to exchange the sd card and send to the hospital when they send a new card out. I also keep a diary of when i dont use it which is such as toothache, or when the weather is hot i do find it dries my mouth out

Some CPAP machines come with an option to use a humidifier which can be set at different levels to suit the user's comfort level.  Most are also now self-regulating meaning the air pressure delivered is continuously varied according to need rather than at a pre-set level which might from minute to minute be more or less than ideal.  

Having a dry mouth using CPAP indicates sleeping with the mouth open because the slightly increased air pressure delivered will escape via the mouth.  Attempting to breathe in via the mouth usually results in the pressure causing the body to close the back of the mouth in favour of the nasal passages.  It therefore follows that CPAP significantly reduces or eliminates snoring in even the most severe of cases.  Not only does that benefit the user but also those close to them.  Long-suffering partners no longer find a need for ear-plugs or the spare bedroom.  Family in adjacent rooms can sleep undisturbed!  

Dry mouth is mildly unpleasant and can sometimes be avoided using a humidifier however that will depend upon the individual.  Some find the humidifier feels like having water sprayed up the nose under pressure which is unpleasant.  

CPAP can be used in most conditions but having a cold or hayfever can affect its ability to work properly.  No-one wants blow-back of their own mucus after all.  User-changeable filters can be obtained (from cpap.co.uk if not from your consultant) to assist during the pollen season and to ensure clean filters at all times.  Always follow the advice given on frequent cleaning of the device itself too.  Especially the face mask / nose pillows but remember the hose also needs frequent cleaning.  More so during a viral pandemic.  

One other thing which SWMBO has reported is a long-term but intermittent very slight tightening of her upper chest.  This has been attributed to the lungs responding to the slightly increased pressure being delivered every night over time and is not of concern; neither is the occasional slightly breathless cough which this can cause.  Neither are effects reported by all user but are far from unnknown.  As advised by St. George's Hospital, Tooting.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6