The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, polybear said:

Do you have a link to the discussion in question - I'd quite like to see what this numpty is about (and I don't mean Andy Y!!)

Page 8 of this thread is where it all went op but the build-up had begun a bit before that

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/159667-rails-of-sheffield-improved-precedent-class/page/8/

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

The person in question has had conspiracy theories on the lack of North Eastern Railway based locos for yonks.. and he gets no better..  of course he could build a kit or two.. but no...

In other news..

Crustearning complete and payment received!

@Gwiwer when we travelled by train from Melbourne to Murray Bridge the "Fruit Fly" inspectors came onto the train at Murray Bridge, the waste bags from the train were deposited in a closed van with "Inceneration Group" on the side of it... we were asked, as we got off "have you any fruit in your belongings"...and there was a threat of a fine for misdemeanours.. but how do you stop Fruit Flies crossing the border by their own flying capability? Apparently it is done by not allowing people to plant fruit bushes/trees with a certain distance form the border.. cunning by the South Australians 

Baz

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I have an annual Endoscopy.......... but jeez they are brutal, watching the screen as the camera goes down into your stomach .......

Can you not just change channel?

• Funny 16

I can join in on the roto-rooter fun with said colonoscopy. The lovely nurse sadly would have been chucked out of the pub as her darts ability was to be blunt sh*t. My arm looked like a pin cushion before the consultant himself had to administer the sedative. They snipped something polyp like but managed to lose it. Fun and games all around. <edit> forgot to mention my quip when watching the monitor that it was the worst episode of Eastenders I'd ever seen, went down like the proverbial lead balloon. 

Covid has delayed my supposed next visit to the plumber. 

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

4 hours ago, Two_sugars said:

Chisf . . . . .I had a colonoscopy abandoned because it was painful, and I was called back the following week for a C.T. scan.

Thank you, Twosugars!  This is worth pursuing, for is it not the case that there is more than one way to skin a cat?  I am waiting for the bowel screening team to call me back.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, BoD said:

Can you not just change channel?

The consultant who was doing my stent and I had a chat about monitors. The images he sees are live x ray images not video camera as in colonoscopy so I suppose not so interesting for the patient to see. He said there had a been a large monitor over his dentists chair while he was having root canal work. Everyone in the room was surprised but then he said it was showing a rugby match. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Thank you, Twosugars!  This is worth pursuing, for is it not the case that there is more than one way to skin a cat?  I am waiting for the bowel screening team to call me back.

Chris

You would still need a clean bowel for a successful CT scan 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

So Mike it's not a Mac problem. Same on my non Apple phone. May be something to do with caching? 

Thanks for the link - that's my evenings reading sorted. Lol

If endo vs colonoscopy is anything like all the ways I've had my temperature taken then I'll stick to a camera up the rear end;  Flavio is quite right - the alternative requires overcoming the gag reflex. Something that in my case became ever more pronounced to the point where even dental work now is near impossible.   

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

On 26/10/2020 at 05:48, TheQ said:

Oh I meant to say CPL  coal, a national chain of coal merchants,  is now in panic mode to sell off conventional coal,  before its ban in February. You have to buy it in 1 ton pallets of 25kg bags,  but at £248 a ton it's an enormous saving over normal prices.. 

I took advantage of their £248 offer (£6 for a 25kg bag is a bargain) and it was delivered at lunchtime. Sadly, the side path was not wide enough for the pallet so the driver left it as close to the path as he could.  The wife and I have spent the last 2 hours wheelbarrowing 40 bags around the back and stacking it up. 

I think what you get is pot luck, as we had bags of some kind of anthracite substitute all labelled in French. I will mix it with some house coal and well dried chopped tree branches and see how I get on. 

It saves paying £12-£14 a bag from the petrol station. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

@Gwiwer when we travelled by train from Melbourne to Murray Bridge the "Fruit Fly" inspectors came onto the train at Murray Bridge,

I have made that journey by train numerous times and not once was any sort of check made.  

I too have wondered how fruit flies stay out of the zone. Perhaps they just know and are obedient little critters. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I wasted half an hour reading through the thread that has setca precedent, I don't know the eejit in question but do feel that moderating him would have been a better way to deal with him rather than a colle tive punishment for all and sundry.

Jamie

Especially as he has 'form' for this. He popped up on the Hatton's generic coaches thread bemoaning the fact that they were nothing like NER coaches. He didn't have the groan button to play with then so I and a few others resorted to extracting the urine. It took a few days for him to realise and then he has only appeared there a couple of times since.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

The latest round of covid levels in scotland leave my family up there in an odd situation.

Their post codes give a west lothian zone level 4, but their district is falkirk which is level 3.

Both sisters are classed as living in level 3 areas, but one has two daughters classed as living  in level 4.

Both sisters have to travel from level 3 through a level 4 area to work in a level 3 area...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I wasted half an hour reading through the thread that has setca precedent, I don't know the eejit in question but do feel that moderating him would have been a better way to deal with him rather than a colle tive punishment for all and sundry.

Jamie

I had a speed read (life's too short...) and couldn't really see what all the fuss is about.  I did note that he's not been moderated though.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6

38 minutes ago, polybear said:

I had a speed read (life's too short...) and couldn't really see what all the fuss is about.  I did note that he's not been moderated though.

That's the problem on the face of it the presser of the groan button has stuffed up something that brought a bit of fun to various people on several threads across the forum. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I have made that journey by train numerous times and not once was any sort of check made.  

I too have wondered how fruit flies stay out of the zone. Perhaps they just know and are obedient little critters. 

SA has a 24 hour fruit fly hotline,  I do wonder what the response would look like if you called it to report a fruit fly. Sudden appearance of helicopters with SAS dropping from ropes?

Speaking of helicopters, Tasmania has just reopened its borders to the rest of Aus, so some bushwalkers from South Australia were part of a group on  a guided walk through the Southwest wilderness yesterday.  Unbeknownst to them, being many miles  from any mobile signal, the SA coronavirus outbreak occurred, and the states closed their borders to South Australians. Suddenly from nowhere a Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife helicopter arrived, plucked up the South Australians and took them off to spend two weeks in hotel quarantine in Hobart. No one can accuse the authorities of not taking the virus seriously here!

• Informative/Useful 15

Evening All,

Glad to hear Chris had some good news.

Took nephews to school they went for a walk with SWMBO, Mil and Syd and took a picnic and got back to Mils early afternoon. It wasn’t really worth going home before we had to pick nephews back up again so a spot of eyelid inspection at Mils. Brought kids home, had tea and that’s about it.

Been windy here but not cold.

I think tomorrow will be similar to today but cooler.

Early start so goodnight,

Robert

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1