The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, NGT6 1315 said:

... nutcakes demolish everything with their petulant 4rses, all the while claiming that COVID simply is a hoax or whatever

A US national online media outlet is running an interview with a nurse in South Dakota who speaks of patients with their dying breaths insisting that CoViD is a hoax and they must have lung cancer or some other condition. She notes there are of course patients who are grateful for the care they receive but the emotional toll of watching people die in willful self delusion was difficult.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

20 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not exactly what I hear in emails from my mum in Queensland where the complaints about state border closures by (recently re-elected) Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk were loud* and ongoing for the duration of border closures there. 

* Including (as I find online) the NSW Health Minister.

Nevertheless the closures were effective and resulted in a relatively "safe" environment permitting many national-level, sports fixtures to be held.

Measuring the pandemic using total CoViD-19 fatalities per 100,000 of population, Queensland is currently at 0.12 and Australia 3.63.  In contrast the US is at 75, and the UK 78 CoViD-19 fatalities per 100,000. There is no question that Australia has handled the pandemic well.

Here in Oregon, daily case rates are rising exponentially (due mostly to family gatherings) despite mandatory mask orders and closed schools. Restaurants and bars are being restricted to take-out only starting on Wednesday. In Oregon, cumulative fatalities per 100,000 (18) are still far below the national average.  Many recent cases were directly attributed to Halloween parties. The potential for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday to be a super-spreader event is frankly terrifying.

Yes the QLD border closure did seem to be a bit of an ugly  extension  of the usual interstate rivalry  - Queensland premier referring to the 'infected' of NSW as though we were living the zombie apocalypse and so on, which caused some ill-will, especially since NSW had agreed to take on the bulk of the quarantining of those returning from overseas despite the potential risk of it escaping into the community.  The QLD border closure and the length it went on was seen here as a political play by the QLD government who faced an election and wanted to either look tough on the virus, or else were terrified it would somehow escape into the state and they'd get the blame. 

OVerall though  94% of Australians are happy with the governments response to the  pandemic, second only to Denmark (95%) and well above the UK and US at 46% and 47% respectively. Still, that does mean that 6% of us still find something to complain about ,  I guess they are the whingy facebook users.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/08/27/most-approve-of-national-response-to-covid-19-in-14-advanced-economies/pg_2020-08-27_global-coronavirus_0-01/

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

Australia has a long history with more extreme quarantine measures than most places. Avoidance of introducing hoof and mouth disease was always the biggest fear.

There is a long history of insect (mostly fruit fly) related quarantine measures at the Queensland / New South Wales border. I can remember when young having the car inspected for fruit at the Coolangatta / Tweed Heads border.

Back then Dad's work Christmas picnics were held in the grounds of the old quarantine station (though even then no longer used as such) at the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Anyone entering Australia by air at least into the 90s was subjected to the drama of the cabin being fumigated by blokes with arms held high, holding a can of bug spray in each hand walking down the aisles. Today I understand that Australians entering the country by air are being quarantined for two weeks. (My mum told me of her friend's granddaughter who was to spend two weeks in a converted army barracks in Darwin before being free to enter the country.)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Australia has a long history with more extreme quarantine measures than most places. Avoidance of introducing hoof and mouth disease was always the biggest fear.

There is a long history of insect (mostly fruit fly) related quarantine measures at the Queensland / New South Wales border. I can remember when young having the car inspected for fruit at the Coolangatta / Tweed Heads border.

Back then Dad's work Christmas picnics were held in the grounds of the old quarantine station (though even then no longer used as such) at the mouth of the Brisbane River.

Anyone entering Australia by air at least into the 90s was subjected to the drama of the cabin being fumigated by blokes with arms held high, holding a can of bug spray in each hand walking down the aisles. Today I understand that Australians entering the country by air are being quarantined for two weeks. (My mum told me of her friend's granddaughter who was to spend two weeks in a converted army barracks in Darwin before being free to enter the country.)

Yes we already have enough stuff that kills us without importing  any more! Rabies is another fear and is the reason that  our deputy PM wanted to have Johnny Depps dogs Pistol and Boo put down (Its a long story!) 

WE aren't short of our own native viruses - Ross River fever and the Hendra virus (57% mortality rate) are both pretty scary. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Apart from going to get some screws from the shed, I’ve spent the entire day in the cellar. However, lots of progress has been made, the old computer desk (formerly a work bench) has been relocated from the corner under the window to the opposite side of the cellar. The area where it used to reside has now been cleared and I can soon start to tackle the job of removing the old lime wash from the wall below the window. Once that’s done, I can repoint the wall and then apply some tanking slurry. The wall on the opposite side of the external door (which is also next to the window), as well as the adjoining corner wall can also be tackled at the same time. It’s a mucky and in pleasant job, but it’s absolutely necessary if I want the cellar dry to remain dry. 

Once I’d cleaned up I noticed that there is still a small damp patch in the corner. A quick inspection outside below the window revealed a small area that I missed when I repointed the outside wall below the window. Luckily I still have some mortar mix left, so this will be tackled on the next dry spell.

After tea I called at the pharmacy and dropped off prescriptions for both Sheila and myself, I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. It was surprisingly quiet in there tonight, the shelves seemed well stocked and I was able to get all time on the shopping list, even picking up the latest copy of RM too.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Her indoors is off to have her second "vaccine" injection this morning. She doesn't know if it is a real vaccine or a placebo. They have also told her that if she is offered a vaccine shot to take it.

I nearly finished the crust earning yesterday. Hopefully it will be completed this morning. Then I can do some muddling for me!

Grasp the day ! Make best use of your time!

Stay safe!

Very positive thoughts to all ERs and fingers crossed our missing ones are all ok!

Hope the teaching goes ok @skipepsi!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a great nights sleep last night as the eczema was playing up but I did get over 3 hours sleep from about 5 until quarter past 8. Will probably have a bit more eyelid inspection after my bath. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 17