The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The 7-day incidence for Leipzig has been 86.4 cases per 100,000 as of midnight today: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4

In any case, the sampling was without trouble, and I now have an ID sheet with which to check for the result tomorrow. My doc said she wasn’t so much worried about how I myself would cope with COVID if I should really have caught it, but indeed for my FiL (who is a patient in her practice as well). 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all, thought I’d drop in, been over on the Night Mail in recent months. Will return at some point in the future.

Douglas

The sooner, the better!

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Today was a cleaning up day of items used during the kitchen refurb - including buddy next door's SDS drill; I always return borrowed items in the same or better condition than I receive them.  In this case that wasn't difficult since whilst my buddy most definitely doesn't mistreat tools it has been a while since this particular item has had a wipe over with a damp cloth - and my exploits at generating dust haven't helped.  The case was also full of sawdust (not my doing!), with a collection of loose screws, washers, bolts, wall plugs etc. floating around in it too.  It must've taken the best part of an hour to clean properly - drill and case, with all loose dross sorted and bagged too.  Hopefully he'll be impressed (and it always helps if I'm ever in need again :) )

Mr Toolstation delivered the order placed on saturday morning :yahoo: which includes the leccy back boxes and plasterboard screws I need for the next step in the great kitchen makeover - so that's my day planned for tomorrow.....

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

And back to clearing that s*dding editor for some unknown reason, maybe that was down to a Mc upf grade as it only started after that downloaded.  I trust the day is progressing ok for Chrisf - fingers remain crossed pending his report and for the outcome of Dom's test.  The mouse hunt continues, with conspicuous lack of success but at least a variety of kitchen cupboards are being 'scleaned'.  

This latter exercise has recvealed some useful and awful surprises. The worst of these has been teh discovery of a half bottle of tcp Teachers 'whisky' we we can only conclude must at some time have been gifted to us by some other poor devil who shared my low opinion of it.  The good news was there was a bottle and a half bottle of Bells although the bottle of Bombay sapphire gin was another question mark regarding its origin.  The best news - as far as I was concerned - was confirmation that the stockpile of Branston baked beans with sausages stands at 10 tins - I thought there were only a couple left.  This is even better news than it at first sounds as a quick dap into Waitrose this morning revealed that the only chestnut mushrooms on the shelf were quite as bad as the two packs Mrs Stationmaster bought the other day and the second of s which I consumed for lunch today.  it must be very much the wrong time of year for mushroom growing in Hampshire.

My town visit was in connection with an appointment with the Good Count's daughter Natasha who managed a pain free extraction of a phial of the red liquid within minutes of my entering the surgery door.  i also visited WHS where I obtained the 'paper and a copy of a railway muddling magazine.  The town wasn't too busy and there was a fait bit of sensible distancing and mask wearing around with the idiot quotient well below 10%.  Quite a few folk around who stopped to avoid passing somebody ona narrow stretch of path and so on.

Reasonable weather and no precipitation today.  Enjoy the rest of your day and stay safe.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Googling says that quite a few issues with Big Sur upgrade. non-availability of OEM printer drivers being one.

I get much the same results. Make big changes = get big problems. The entire support universe from printers to the humblest app needs to catch up. Some never do.  

I still have numerous bugs to iron out including persuading my choice of desktop image to stay put and not drop out every time the device goes to sleep.  The new colour-wave default is utterly hideous compared with the lovely picture I had before. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

10 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I get much the same results. Make big changes = get big problems. The entire support universe from printers to the humblest app needs to catch up. Some never do.  

I cannot afford to be without this machine or anything on it so will be postponing my upgrade and any updates.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

I cannot afford to be without this machine or anything on it so will be postponing my upgrade and any updates.

Aditi’s Mac can have its OS upgraded. My Mac Mini informs me it can’t have the last two OS upgrades. My Windows PC of the same age still runs Windows 10 perfectly. Updates quicker too. At least I won’t have to spend any time updating my Mac OS. I suppose if it stops supporting iTunes it will be a lovely display stand. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Somehow, I also managed to make a complete mess of something as simple as baking a Victoria sponge Sunday afternoon, I'm considering hiding in a closet for a while :(

We hadn’t got any naan for this evenings meal. Aditi decided to make some. She found a dough recipe with ingredient measures for our bread maker. After a while she said “That recipe included yeast, I forgot to add yeast. “. We may be having some sort of very flat flatbread to accompany our meal tonight. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Good Evening!

The Boomtown Rats were right! I don't like Mondays! It'll be interesting to see how many incoming calls we took!

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Who's pinched the GROAN BUTTON?:scared::nono:

It was suffering from over use but, hopefully, is recuperating somewhere for its reappearance!! ;)

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

but the US and the mid-west in particular are seeing record-breaking COVID numbers both in reported cases and deaths.

As a contrast,  Australia after going a week without a single new case woke yesterday to find 17 cases in an extended family had popped up in Adelaide. One of the cases worked as a security guard at one of the hotels where incoming overseas arrivals do their compulsory quarantine fornight so its assumed that like Melbourne, thats how it has managed to sneak in.

By mid morning Western Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania had closed their borders to South Australians, South Australian gyms were shut down, restrictions placed back on restaurants, movie cinemas and functions such as weddings, funerals and household gatherings were limited again, after just being relaxed last month.

Even the Ghan was stopped in its tracks at Alice Springs and passengers barred from going further north.

Everyone interviewed on the news was resigned to things being tightened up again, even those from Adelaide who had flown interstate  to visit family for the first time since March, only to be told they must turn around and go back.

Everyone  accepted it as necessary. No one banged on about 'freedom' or their 'rights'

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Everyone  accepted it as necessary. No one banged on about 'freedom' or their 'rights

They are doing that behind the “closed doors” of the antisocial media platforms. 

People are expressing their frustration but the smaller numbers involved are making far less impression on the world stage than the likes of some European and North American protests. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

By mid morning Western Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory and Tasmania had closed their borders to South Australians, South Australian gyms were shut down, restrictions placed back on restaurants, movie cinemas and functions such as weddings, funerals and household gatherings were limited again, after just being relaxed last month.

Everyone interviewed on the news was resigned to things being tightened up again, even those from Adelaide who had flown interstate  to visit family for the first time since March, only to be told they must turn around and go back.

Everyone  accepted it as necessary. No one banged on about 'freedom' or their 'rights'

if only the UK would act that quickly.  Some hope.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

They are doing that behind the “closed doors” of the antisocial media platforms. 

People are expressing their frustration but the smaller numbers involved are making far less impression on the world stage than the likes of some European and North American protests. 

The numbers here in the UK are small. However.. in some places people are not following the rules.. its like a silent complaint... but a very dangerous one... just ask people in Hull....

Nax

• Agree 11

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

We may be having some sort of very flat flatbread to accompany our meal tonight. 

It actually turned out very well. Aditi managed to add some yeast pellets to the dough half way through its process. 
It was somewhere between shop bought and good restaurant so not bad at all. Aditi is encouraged to have a go at chappati now. Previous attempts haven’t been good. No idea why, we had the correct flour and tava (thing for cooking chappati on). 
Tony

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Thats all cool, everyone can have an opinion and no one except hermits welcomes all these limitations, but if the  alternative is  streets  filled with lame saddos dressed as wannabe pretend soldiers carrying stupidly oversized  guns, banging on about their 'rights'  then thats fine with all of us down here!

You really do need to be here to sense the feeling of community spirit and pulling together  that has held up through all these months of lockdown. That  is far more widespread than is apparent if all you read is whingy facebook users having a cry.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A trip to Tess Coes apart another do nothing day. Spent some time on eyelid inspection this afternoon and woke up with a sore throat. I have a wunny dose and I must have rolled over on my back and it ran down into my throat. A couple of slices of dry bread cleared it and the soreness is disappearing. A bit of sad news, one of the SEERS members has passed away, not Covid but the other big C. He was in his late eighties so not to bad an innings. 

• Friendly/supportive 14