The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

A soft spot for ships lads? I spent the first seven years of my life opposite Princes Dock in Glasgow and became fascinated with ships. My dad used to lift me up to see over the fence. No containers back then as the sixties began to fade into history; line upon line of cranes offloading cargo from very traditional looking Blue Star, P&O and even Canadian Pacific freighters. Tugs, men o' war, barge cranes and paddle steamers. It was all there and I still remember it with fondness! :yes:

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

As a boy I used to love going into Southampton as it seemed to be the centre of the universe as far as shipping was concerned. It seemed that all of the great passenger liners of the day could be seen at one time or another - I can still remember the thrill of coming out of Southampton Terminus station and seeing either Queen Elizabeth or Mary (the originals of course) towering above you, or so it seemed. There were the Cape Boats (Union Castle) right next to the park by the Royal Pier and all the others lined up in the old docks.

Boat trains pulled by Nelsons and Bulleids running across Canute Road, USA and E1(?) tanks in the docks, trains running on the road past Town Quay going from the old docks to new, magic days indeed!

• RMweb Gold

When my wife arrived in this country in 1958 she travelled on a passenger liner that sailed from Australia (via Bombay where they boarded) to Tilbury. The passenger facility still exists at Tilbury but is used for cruise ships.

Tony

Good morning. I intend to enjoy todays fine weather. From tomorrow overcast and rain return.

The weekly Union Castle from Southampton used to arrive on a Thursday, Model Railway News and Meccano Magazine in the News Agent on Friday.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

One thing I still remember with particular fondness are the ferries on the Puttgarden-Rødby line – those from the Bundesbahn/DSB days, that is. I'd been kind of incredulous about how vehicles that huge could be manoeuvred with this kind of precision. I have yet to see the new ferries which Scandlines have since introduced on that line, though.

I'll be off for a course later on and will also try to enquire on what other measures I could take against that hayfever I'm having those days. This seriously impacts my mood at times... :(

Cheers, guys...

Morning all.

Cant say I'm much of a ship fan myself, but was always fascinated by the way that vehicles were packed on to ferries [Channel Isles & North Sea]

Off out into the bush this morning.

Have a good un.

Morning All,

It is somewhat cloudy here today - I suspect we are in for a showery day.

I'm not a huge ship fan myself, but I still quite enjoy watching them. Dover is always fascinating watching the vessels come and go, and as Trev said, how quickly and efficiently they are loaded. Especially today's "Super ferries" which despite having many more cars seem to be loaded just as quickly as the older boats were - it was a regular sight to see them load up and leave the dock before they'd even got the bow doors shut (which as history tells us, turned out to be a bad idea).

That, and the hovercraft - what a sight they were!

Hamburg is another good location for ship watching. They have a fleet of tugs too - which are definitely fascinating. A boat of that size, with upwards of 20,000hp on tap! B)

There might be another trip to Hamburg in the offing :yes:. My Girlfriend has a Grandmother who lives there, and she wants to visit the Modelleisenbahn Wunderland.

Anyway - enough waffling. Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one hereabouts. Out and about today. Porbably calling in at the MidHants Railway to hurl abuse at old farts wearing berets driving steam engines. Should really be down the shed wiring up the layout but... Still over two weeks (just) till the outing so plentry of time NOT!

I remember spending an hour or two sat up on the cliffs watching the comings and goings a Dover. Fascinating.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny and quite warm already here this morning. The new tyre for the Freelander should be fitted today. I've also got a blood test but not a fasting one so I can have breakfast.

For those of you watching Springwatch this week much of the filming is coming from our local landfill site.

Tony

Morning all from the boring boring borough. Sunny at the moment.

Someone's karma ran over my dogma yesterday. After insulting UK washing machines for being p*ssy small on ER the other day, ours decided to end it all last night in a blaze of glory. It didn't just go boom though, nooooo that would have been too easy. One of the springs snapped as well, lodging in the drum and ripping up several shirts before finally sticking its tongue out at me with an E30 code. (dead motor) The inside of the unit is black as the brushes went poof into a cloud of carbon dust. Off to Comet this morning for its replacement. I'm also going to have to empty several gallons of soapy water from the old one before its hauled away. :(

No feedback yet on yesterday's :pleasantry: interview :pleasantry: . Lets hope its a non-starter as it turned out to be worse than I had been lead to believe.

• RMweb Gold

. I'm also going to have to empty several gallons of soapy water from the old one before its hauled away. :(

When we moved to this house I carefully drained the water from the washing machine before it was loaded on the removal van. There was a little drain hose that could be accessed from the front of the machine. I didn't realise that I must have dislodged it from its internal connection as the first time we used it here we managed to flood the new utility room.

Tony

Morning all.

Bad luck on the washing machine Andrew, but look on the bright side - if it had been an American one there would have been even more gallons of soapy water to deal with. ;)

In work and attempting to motivate myself to do some reading of a document I should probably have read a month ago. As you can tell, it's really going to be interesting...

My most memorable sight of a ship was on the South Coast.

I was in a field and didn't realise that, the other side of the hedge, a ship channel was present!

... until the QEII appeared and towered over me.

Well £850+ later a new washer & separate dryer are on their way. Ouch!! SWMBO has had enough of those crappy washer/dryer combos that don't dry, and tiny little machines. 9kg wash, 9kg dry.

Beyond generous of MIL to pay for the lot though. WOW!:yahoo: They even threw in the delivery, installation, and hauling away the old one.

Having spent most of my life more than 4000' above sea level and around 600 miles to the nearest large body of water, I never had much of an interest in boats or things nautical.

• RMweb Gold

Well £850+ later a new washer & separate dryer are on their way. Ouch!! SWMBO has had enough of those crappy washer/dryer combos that don't dry, and tiny little machines. 9kg wash, 9kg dry.

We had to find a brand of washing machine that was very robust. Although my wife is quite small she must be very strong as unless the controls are firmly attached they tend to become "detached". Our AEG machines may not be the prettiest of appliances but they are robust. Though that may be because I now do most of the washing / drying loading and unloading.

We had to find a brand of washing machine that was very robust. Although my wife is quite small she must be very strong as unless the controls are firmly attached they tend to become "detached". Our AEG machines may not be the prettiest of appliances but they are robust. Though that may be because I now do most of the washing / drying loading and unloading.

Sounds like the Kenmore brand from Sears. Those things were built to withstand a nuclear attack.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like the Kenmore brand from Sears. Those things were built to withstand a nuclear attack.

Aditi's latest technique must be a cyber attack then. We have an oven with just 5 buttons, no knobs to destroy. So somehow she managed to reprogram the default temperature setting for each cooking mode (fan, convection, combination etc).

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Now that's some deal – a washer and a fallout shelter in one product! :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

In my experience, whatever make of washer you buy, you'll wish you'd got a different brand - I've managed to wear out all sorts of makes from very expensive like Bosch to the cheapies like Servis, and they all seem to be similar, except that of you get the repairman out for the dearer make, he costs more and the parts are dearer.

Had a very unexpected experience today, took the car for service and MOT and it didn't need any work doing other than what was in the service manual - that really is a first, I can say.

Not a lot else to add, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

My mum needed to replace her washer last week as the drum bearing on the old one was about to expire. It but did hold about fifteen years, which is not too bad for frequent users like her. The new machine is a Bosch one with all the bells and whistles, including start timer, illuminated drum and other such things. However, at £ 620 it was a lot cheaper than an equivalent one from Miele, which might have been over £ 1000.

• RMweb Gold

I've actually found brands I'm quite happy to have purchased and would buy again assuming that the brand name hasn't been reused for an inferior product. My car has a full set of proper tyres now!

Tony

Touch wood, washers and driers are all OK here, but we have been out looking for furniture. Kitchen/diner is well underway. First fix electrics are in place and all the plastering is done. Quotes are in for the flooring and all is going well. We're going to need a new dining table and chairs so off we went to our favourite local shop that has good quality products, all of which are slightly away from the usual run of the mill stuff.

Whilst checking out tables and chairs, I came across this and fell in love....Not evereyone's taste I know, but it was so comfortable. Unfortunately it was twice my generous estimate so not to be, but I could have sat there all afternoon....:yes:

post-6950-0-40508000-1308077332_thumb.jpg