The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

My lunch is on hold as herself is making scones - I am quite prepared to sacrifice myself to an extra period of hunger for that cause and a couple of scones will go down nicely after the bacon garnished mushrooms on toast.   So some brightness indoors to balance against the continuing rain outdoors - the effect on the river in a couple of days time will be interesting to see as it is already fairly high against its usual high water mark on the bridge but it's well below any sort of flood warning levels.

The mouse continues to elude capture or reappearance  - to the extent that i have just had to check through the contents of the vacuum cleaner bag to see if I had unknowingly captured it by that means yesterday.  Even I would have noticed if I had caught it but the management was not convinced so I dully had to go through a fairly full bag - to prove that it wasn't there.  The things one does to maintain domestic bliss.

Like GDB I have yet to order the latest delicacy on offer from the north although I don't doubt I will eventually succumb - especially as I had been suggesting it as project for a long while before I first heard, some time back, that it was underway.  in fact I heard that so long back that I totally forgot it would be this year's item - not helped by the fact that last year's main event has still to appear.

Personally I'm not planning much for next year as I do seriously wonder just how far forward things might have advanced by then?  It appears that one idea involves a centralised online way of dealing with appointments for any vaccination which happens to be safety approved.  That reminds me just that bit too much of the centralised online way of arranging tests - which seems to have worked (not) with such incredible lack of efficiency.  Give the job to GPs and resource them to do it it - at least they know who their patients are, how old they are, and what ailments they suffer from.  But that is probably far too logical and straightforward for a useless bureaucrat sitting in London polishing his backside while he awaits his 'K'.

Ah well back to earth and more time to waste wg hile awaiting access to the kitchen.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, polybear said:

I guess this is the safe way - but where's the fun in that?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheelie-Bin-Compactor-Suitable-Standard-Household-Rubbish-and-Recycling-Bins/283957095909?hash=item421d296de5:g:tkkAAOSw29tfGa~a

There's a fair chance that a call to the council will result in a new bin FOC - there's a good chance the bin men may refuse to lift it one day as unsafe.

I'm truly stunned I've never triggered that.  Must try harder......

I see that the Ripper has snuffed it, and not before time.  If only he'd done it forty years ago he would've saved the tax payer a packet.  Let's hope the sick B**stard has had plenty of really good kickings over the years.

Our council charge 40 quid for a new bin. 

I do believe a fellow lag turnedhis eye into a penholder

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

£35 a yr for wheelie bin here. We took over one previously used by a neighbour who has  since moved away. No having to wait for a new one!

Oo ooo! Suns just popped out. Chuckinitdarn 5 mins ago! 

Better go and drink my mugadecaf before it gets cold.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Feel worn out today though not done anything car going for mot/service on monday so need to crank it up tomorrow and give it a quick once over check on lights etc. The garage are picking it up as i am currently not feeling fit to drive i have some mote forms coming to fill in for Dvla they may well take my licence for a bit. Its nor a problem for now as i dont go out and there is nowhere to go 

I was reading somewhere that the Ripper thought he was safe inside from covid but had to go to hospital and caught it there. Oh the irony asmy Dad would say The lord moves in mysterious ways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Give the job to GPs and resource them to do it it

One GP relation said they have already received instructions and fees payable information should the Pfizer vaccine be distributed. They have had to decline    for logistical reasons but other practices in the area can comply and are keen to do the work. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Forgot to mention earlier that the two “Irish” players that caught my eye were both born in New Zealand. :smile_mini:

And I seem to recollect that one of the players (cannot now remember Wales or Ireland but he had played some form of rugby for three countries) played for England as a youth and then Ireland youth teams or something like that and someone now qualified because he now had sufficient residence in Ireland.  

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Another do nothing day today, my mojo seems to have disappeared and I can't be bothered to look for it. I will have to watch the Formula I highlights tomorrow. The practice sessions have thrown up a few surprises already. The scooter scrotes saga goes on. The plod have found a garage used by the scrote under arrest containing a selection of bikes and scooters and bits thereof and are now busy checking frame and engine numbers. Soon be dinner time so better check what the use by date lottery shows up.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

32 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

What a great day.

Finished the coach lighting.

The boy actually crawled instead of dragging himself along the floor.

My turn for a lie in tomorrow.

Having cooked breakfast for tea.

Went to the garden centre and the good lady solicited me into buying proper sausages from the butcher so ones I got out the freezer for tea are now defrosting for sausage cobs tomorrow morning.

If you want a good day, set yourself three small tasks. Make sure you complete them and you'll feel better :dancing:

Eat, Drink and be Merry?

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

One GP relation said they have already received instructions and fees payable information should the Pfizer vaccine be distributed. They have had to decline    for logistical reasons but other practices in the area can comply and are keen to do the work. 

Staff at those who are undertaking it have been told to prepare for twelve hour shifts, bank holidays and Christmas Day included.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Forgot to mention earlier that the two “Irish” players that caught my eye were both born in New Zealand. :smile_mini:

Pity they weren’t from Argentina then.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

22 hours ago, polybear said:

There's a fair chance that a call to the council will result in a new bin FOC - there's a good chance the bin men may refuse to lift it one day as unsafe.

The days of the bin men dashing around the mother ship are long gone as the driver does all the work.  An arm with a super sized gripper emerges from the truck, grabs the bin lifts it up and dumps it in the truck, and then folds back onto the truck and then on to next door.  It doesn't appear to be bothered by over filled bins!

Brian.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

Evening,

Good to hear Andrew P and Baz are feeling good and Chris is beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Not so good though the news  from Switzerland. Tinned baked beans and sausages with a bottle of  lager is not as bad as it may first sound but definitely  worth avoiding celebrity cooking and dance programmes on TV. 

Weather been terrible here all day so we’ve been doing inside diy jobs. I think tomorrow will be he same except there will be the F1 highlights and the Belgium vEngland football match.

With that in mind I’d better get an early start so I will bid you all a good night.

Robert

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Haven't even ventured out to Tess Coes today but that has allowed me to catch up on Farcebook. The local pub although closed under lockdown has a stall outside selling seafood either hot or cold. I might give it a try by all accounts as all that I have spoken to have no complaints about it. Also Southend pier are replacing the pier railway stock next year and are selling off the souvenir stock re. the old trains, click and collect. Mostly mugs and some crude static models that look as if they are solid resin, well solid something anyway. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Although the weather was cool and dull this morning it wasn't too cold dry and I was able to leave the workshop door open. However, this afternoon was a different story, it started to rain so I had to shut the door! 

Before I started work on the turntable control panel, I added an extra road beside the engine shed and drilled a few extra holes for a switch and 2 LEDs. The new road will be the area in which the standby breakdown crane will be parked. 

Whilst the paint was drying on the control panel, I had a rummage and located a suitable piece of MDF for the turntable. This was then marked out into a perfect square and also for the centre so I can cut a hole in it for the turntable well to sit in. This will need to be done outside, so I’ll have to wait for some dry weather. Once the turntable well has been fitted and glued in place, along with some short pieces of track for the exit/entry roads, it will mean that the whole turntable can be fitted or removed as a single unit onto the layout, should any sort of maintenance be required. 

I then turned my attention towards the turntable control panel, where quite a bit of progress has been made. My first task was to fit the hinges so that the top and the base could finally be united. The rotary selector switch was then fitted, the 4 bridge control push buttons and LEDs. I then fitted the 19 point control switches, but that’s where today’s efforts ended. I just need to fit the 44 point position LEDs then I can make a start on the wiring, I’ll make a start on that tomorrow. 

• Like 16