The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

She may  be working within the regulations - copied below from .gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#going-to-work

Where it is necessary for you to work in other people’s homes - for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople - you can do so. 

We had an electrician working here for a couple of days but my wife's home hairdresser cancelled her visit for today.

I’ve read that before posting and I read somewhere else that this did not include hair dressers. I’ll see if I can find it but just about to watch the footie.

Robert

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I’ve read that before posting and I read somewhere else that this did not include hair dressers. I’ll see if I can find it but just about to watch the footie.

Robert

Quote (it's prohibited)

Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty, tanning and nail salons. Tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours, body and skin piercing services must also close. It is also prohibited to provide these services in other peoples’ homes.

from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november in section 4, about half way down the page

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Went the day well?  Yes it did as Sainsbury's delivered early, bin men collected and boiler man serviced the appliance and all went OK.  :yes:  

7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

I’m sure GDB would manage to get his X...s decorations somewhere and manage without set of new towels.
You can switch back on, rant over.

Not quite sure why I get a mention in your rant Robert?  :scratchhead:  I've got plenty of Christmas decorations and towels thanks.

As for online shopping I do a lot of it at the moment including Amazon.  I don't particularly like their tax avoidance either but I'm not that principled I won't use them if I can get something easily for a decent price.

P.S.  And avoid going to the shops at the moment!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Robert

Hi Robert

Sorry - whilst looking for something else I have found it

Those who provide personal care services from a mobile setting including their own home, in other people’s homes and in retail environments (such as a concession in a larger, separate business) must also stop operating.

From this page

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/further-businesses-and-premises-to-close/closing-certain-businesses-and-venues-in-england

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

A nice sunny morning although it c;ouded over a bit later.  Mrs Stationmaster attended her appointment at our local (almost) hospital - despite the fact that they had written her four letters about changing the time and date of her appointment - in every case from a date other than the one for which it had actually been arranged -what they failed to do was explaining the anti-Covid measures the have in place for getting into the building.  She did get in but then went to the wrong place because nobody could direct her to the right place until she finally started knocking on doors until she found someone to ask.  The appointment went reasonably well but it was in any case only about clearing ear wax ready for an audiologist appointment (which will take place by 'phone :scratchhead:).  

The next part of her day involved visiting Waitrose and judging by the shopping she had when i collected her that had gone well.   And traffic wasn't too bad apart from cockwombles of the lowest order of cockwombleness who clearly believe that a double yellow line means 'park here' especially if doing so causes an obstruction,   A further 5 32 toilet rolls at reduced price were added to the reserve collection - all of which has been purchased at reduced price.

The town here has a weird selection of shops with  basically not much in the way of proper local shops except an over-priced butcher and lots of equally over-priced clothing shops which are of no use whatsoever to 'man (or woman) at Cotton Traders'.   We have a considerable number of chemists and pharmacies although one of the latter, Boots second branch which was small but right next to the Doctors' surgeries, closed a while back.  The last local one has long been part of some chain and has a pharmacy about a hairs breadth removed from totally useless;  Boots pharmacy is better but always busy and inconvenient as it means walking to or trying to park in the town centre;  However Tesco pharmacy is excellent and bags of parking outside so we use that one.  There is also a branch of Superdrug.  Lots of restaurants and most of what used to be pubs that have survived seem to major on doing meals - I'm not sure if the lockdown will do for some of  them?  But online/mail or 'phone order shopping is unavoidable for lots of things once we get beyond food and basic household things so white vans are a common sight.  Parking in town isn't too expensive but there are normally insufficient spaces and the shopping centre is really nowhere near as attractive or wide ranging in variety as Marlow's for some reason.

andy please take care - no muddle railway is worth another trip to A&E.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The high street rents are horrendously expensive. I would say most high street units are leasehold a lot of leases will be held by pension funds.

Some years back, a mate of mine used to have a high street shop (albeit at the low rent end of the high street).  Turned out that the landlord was one of the Oxford colleges.  Some amusement when the shop next door was briefly taken over by some ladies offering "personal services".  Was a college being funded by immoral earnings ?

Adrian

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

PB, I hope your mate is OK. That sortbof discovery isn't easy, even when you're  used to them.  Encouragevhim to talk, preferably  to someone who is used to helping folk.  He'll probably  feel a bit guilty as well.  

Andy P, glad that you are still able to report in. Does your wife have access to a strait jacket for you. It soundscasvif you need one.

Bon nuit á tout.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

BTW, Sorry I haven't caught up with todays Post's, been a bit pre occupied.:P

The medics have been telling me “don’t be afraid to use the puffer”. I haven’t needed it yet! I don’t think I am allowed in the loft at the moment though.  
Glad you are ok though. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

PB, I hope your mate is OK. That sortbof discovery isn't easy, even when you're  used to them.  Encouragevhim to talk, preferably  to someone who is used to helping folk.  He'll probably  feel a bit guilty as well.  

Andy P, glad that you are still able to report in. Does your wife have access to a strait jacket for you. It soundscasvif you need one.

Bon nuit á tout.

Jamie

I would echo Jamie's post through personal experience of similar circumstances 

• Like 9
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Andrew P, looks as if you'll have to do what you are told for the foreseeable future. Just found out that the local sorting office has staffing problems due to Covid 19 with many staff out self-isolating etc. The result is deliveries are delayed, I'm not expecting anything urgent anyway. The area affected also covers South Benfleet so I hope Tony isn't waiting for anything urgent either.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2