The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

May I suggest a possible solution to your 'early morning wake up call' - something we have used to great effect. When the call comes through respond in the affirmative and wait then to be connected to an operator. At which point listen to what is said and then politely state that they are in breach of the telecommunications act 1998 and the data protection act 2018 and if your number is not removed within twenty fours ( other time frames are available) they will be reported to the information commissioner who can levy a fine. Then ask for the company details. If they refuse to give you them or argue then reiterate the above thank them and put the phone down. You may get a follow up call which you can either ignore or repeat the process. This will either scare the s..t out them and they'll hang up or they'll apologise and say that they will arrange for it to be done. We did this a few times and now don't get any calls. The other thing to do is to register on line with the telephone preference service. This ensures your number is barred from such calls.

I suspect they are in the Philippines or India. We are registered with TPS. There is no point barring a spoofed number. Waiting for a live operator just convinces them they have a live potential victim to sell your number on to. We can't just block international calls we have a lot of legitimate ones. Eventually the robots will move onto another batch of numbers. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

My wife and I both have mobile phones and we have broadband that comes with a landline. Blocking, reporting, being registered with TPS and blowing my Acme Thunderer down the phone at scam callers all failed to stop the scam calls on the landline. So we removed the phone from the line and now we don't get it ringing and they never get an answer which as we never gave the number to anyone we know has solved the problem 100%.

Edited by Chris116
Spelling Mistake!
  • Like 15

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Rant away...

Sounds like a call to the plod is in order, along with a car registration number.  A word in her shell-like wouldn't go amiss....

As for on-line shops, I suspect Amazon are doing very nicely out of this, thank you very much.  As for how much tax they pay to the uk.......2/3rds of 3/5ths of f.all.

I’m sick of explaining the situation to her and she really,really winds SWMBO up. We don’t know the name of the hairdresser, its not on her car, and we couldn’t see the reg from our house. I think if SWMBO had that info she’d have made the call.

I feel another rant coming, I bet she’s not going to declare the income on her self assessment tax form. Grrrrrrrr. (As a bear may say)

Robert

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

We seem to be seeing a few of the smaller shops like fruit and veg and butchers and bakers getting an increase in folk, get a lot of our stuff from the farmers market and we can still order from them online, some businesses seem to be quire inventive and I shall try and continue supporting them, better grub than most of the supermarket stuff. Sainsburys do deliver our main shop and it is all right, but the price seems to be going up every week and that's before Brexit!!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The Tesco I was referring to was at Pitsea, the surprise is that it runs the service at all seeing as Pitsea market is only a hundred metres away. Its not unknown for the entire bus load of passengers to get off of the Tesco's bus and head for the market. The worst hit with regard to closures is the town centre and its not difficult to see why. The car parking charges are horrendous and the private company that runs the car parks even charge blue badge holders. Adding to that the shopping area is at the moment split into two by several building sites. Bin day today, I think its the day for the fortnightly lesser spotted glass and bottle wagon was present but it usually substitutes for any alarm call as its normally on the job early, about 07:30 in the morning.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its not unknown for the entire bus load of passengers to get off of the Tesco's bus and head for the market. The worst hit with regard to closures is the town centre and its not difficult to see why. The car parking charges are horrendous and the private company that runs the car parks even charge blue badge holders.

It'd be interesting to know how many of the passengers go to Tesco's after first visiting the market, which is what I'd do if I wanted both; lugging my Tesco shop around a market (especially if I had frozen stuff) wouldn't make sense.

As for the parking charges, well they're killing their own trade by killing the town centre.  Twats

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Frustrating day... bits didn't fit..been given some things which don't work together...won't be fitting any more bits supplied by others...

Chish and fips for tea tonight! I think I may pass on the pea fritter though. ^_^

Baz

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Someone has tried to hack my Farcebook messenger. I've changed my password and the posts the hackers put on were locked so it looks as if they didn't succeed. If any here have received any strange messages from me at just after 12 today thats the reason why. Other news, its Olddudders birthday today, happy birthday Ian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

(Your local independent pharmacist)

We changed to our local independent pharmacist a couple of years ago. Interestingly so did the pharmacist and some assistants too. 

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Someone has tried to hack my Farcebook messenger. I've changed my password and the posts the hackers put on were locked so it looks as if they didn't succeed. If any here have received any strange messages from me at just after 12 today thats the reason why. Other news, its Olddudders birthday today, happy birthday Ian.

I got one of them Phil but ignored it. I'm like that.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

It'd be interesting to know how many of the passengers go to Tesco's after first visiting the market, which is what I'd do if I wanted both; lugging my Tesco shop around a market (especially if I had frozen stuff) wouldn't make sense.

As for the parking charges, well they're killing their own trade by killing the town centre.  Twats

At one time the parking charges were reasonable but a few years ago the company operating the parking changed hands and the new company immediately started charging green card holders and imposing massive fines on anyone who overstayed. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I was co-opted onto the Arbroath Council think tank for how to re-vitalise the Hight Street, they came to me during the meeting, I asked three questions

1.who charges the car parking charges? ............................answer the Council

2. who gave planning permission for the new Asda and Tesco supermarkets ...............answer the Council.

3, who do you think is responsible for the High Street shops closing?...................I said I'll answer that one for you...........

funnily enough that was 2 years ago, I never got invited again, can't think why lol.

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The high street rents are horrendously expensive. I would say most high street units are leasehold a lot of leases will be held by pension funds.

It was always in the Estates Gazette that i used to read at Uni

Incedently i did read somewhere that the BR pension fund owned a lot of art.

Another gem of useless information and no i can't remember what i had for tea yesterday 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

. . . . . . got home hairdresser around. She arrived and sheepishly sneaked up the drive. Naughty,naughty. 

She may  be working within the regulations - copied below from .gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november#going-to-work

Where it is necessary for you to work in other people’s homes - for example, for nannies, cleaners or tradespeople - you can do so. 

We had an electrician working here for a couple of days but my wife's home hairdresser cancelled her visit for today.

EDIT . . . . . . see next page - this is not correct - sorry

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4